The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Schweig's Top 10 Most Influential D6 Star Wars RPG Products
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Schweig's Top 10 Most Influential D6 Star Wars RPG Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Schweig's Top 10 Most Influential D6 Star Wars RPG Products Reply with quote

Here's some interesting reading for those of you trying to decide which book to get next.

Schweig's Top 10 Most Influential D6 Star Wars RPG Products

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have #7 on that list.
I found it when I was visiting my lady at a store in Albany NY, so I nabbed it for $10.00.

Its one of my three actual books. Laughing
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with that list. I think the Gamemaster screen 2nd edition revised should be in the top three. I could see the rest being up to the GM's interests.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, there are some good books on the list. But really, the Tales of the Jedi companion really could have been better. It's list of the Force powers (minus two) is probably the best thing it has going for it. It's organization lacks something, and it doesn't really give a good plot summary of the comic series.

I'm suprised that Pirates and Privateers isn't on there. I've used a few ideas from the book, and I'm not even running a pirate oriented campaign.

Heroes and Rogues, in the eyes of most players I've talked to, is "just a bunch of player templates." I find it odd that it would be considered so influential
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I could see hero and rogues giving ideas of NPCs and possible adventure ideas from the character templates. I just bought the box set for darkstryder, and I really don't see too many cool things to place it on the list.
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own 10, 9, 7, 6, 2, and 1...

Hmmm, I don't have them all!

I... MUST... ACQUIRE... THEM... ALL!!!

<whew> okay, I'm better now.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Resurrecting this one... Reply with quote

I just finished reading this, and while I have 9 of the 10 listed, I think the list is pretty accurate. Sure, not every one of them will be used all of the time, but each one is "influential", as the list suggests. Tales of the Jedi Companion offers quite a bit of information and ideas on Jedi, something that did not really exist up until that point. There were little blurbs here and there in other books, but nothing really compiled that information into a single book until Tales came out.

Heroes and Rogues is a book that out to have more emphasis put on it by the GM and the players. It can do great things towards making player characters more than just the typical combat junkie that seem so prevelant these days. Gamemasters can use it to help flesh out their NPCs so the characters are more interesting and provide better interaction for the player characters to deal with. Like Tales of the Jedi, until Heroes and Rogues came out, there were only small snippets here and there in books.

So, all told, the books on the list are pretty good, and certainly include things that were either good, full explanations of material that was previously glossed over, or provided brand new information that provided good material for both GMs and players to chew on. Each individual person could easily pick and choose a couple different from the list. Even I can, as I use certain books more than the books on the list, but overall each of the books on the list gave me more than a little pause to look over them and appeciate what they had in them.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Top Ten Reply with quote

I'm not sure what it means "most influential" (meaning, I'm not sure who the books were supposed to influence), but I think if you had to put together your own top ten list, what would it be?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: