The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A funny way to deal with canon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> A funny way to deal with canon Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: A funny way to deal with canon Reply with quote

A while back I was thinking about Star Wars canon and GLucas' effect on it lately. I am a firm supporter of intellectual property rights and the rights of an artist regarding his work. To a point. If Da Vinci were to come back to life and decide the Mona Lisa needed a '70s mustache, I for one would not support him. I also think if you submit your IP to the rest of the world for additions, modifications, and profits, some of your rights over its final state go away. It would be easy for me to completely disregard anything GLucas did after the mid 90's, but it wouldn't sit right with me. I figure after creating the classic trilogy, we at least owe him a little, (at least those of us who weren't alive back then to boost his box office numbers!)

So at about 3:00 in the morning I had a stroke of inspiration, leading to a comically elegant solution. What if the Prequels and the Clone Wars series were in universe works of historical fiction? What if at about 22 years ABY someone wanted to make a holo drama about the early life of Darth Vader and the rise of the Empire, but they cut a few corners as far as realism and historical details go? What if they hired inadequate dialogue writers and a really bad director Wink?

Think of the possibilities! No conflict between the Thrawn Trilogy and the Prequels/Clone Wars! Darth Vader was never whiny! Jar Jar never existed!

That way, GLucas can still add to his universe, he just can't screw it up anymore...

Complete Starship Construction System
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, That's an interesting take on the subject, for sure!

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've heard someone here post something very similar.

Since the Emporer won, he basically wrote the history of the Clone Wars. So what we see in Ep I-III is "the way it's been passed down" or "the way most people remember it" Allowing plenty of wiggle room. Maybe there really was a Jar-Jar, but he wasn't a Gungan? or he was a Gungan, but not as inept as we are told. Folks have embellished the story along the way.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, whatever works for you!

One user of this forum and others I visit said that in his SW universe, the prequels were just "Imperial propaganda". Of course I'm not sure that the story actually gives the Empire any good PR, and I think that most fans of the classic trilogy agree that it was not widely known that Vader was Anakin Skywalker, so the story would give away too much to the public (and Luke should have easily been able to find out Vader's identity if it were public knowledge). But maybe he'll explain his answer in more detail here. Fallon, your answer make more sense to me than "Imperial proaganda".

I don't apply your idea to prequels, but I do apply something similar to the kiddie EU productions as mentioned in the Star Wars Universe thread.

1) The Clone Wars series are in-universe children's programs released many years after ROTJ. They are loosely based on the history and legends of the real Clone Wars.
    2) During his mind-wipe at the end of the Great Clone War, R2-D2 planted the Droids cartoon series as the false memories of C-3PO to replace the ones he lost, just to mess with him.
    3) The Ewoks cartoons and live-actions movies may either be legends and tall-tales (campfire stories) told far in the future about Ewoks who lived in the time of the Battle of Endor (passed down from generation to generation as part of a tribal tradition), or they may just be hallucinations of Wicket resulting from eating some magic mushrooms he found in the forest one day!
As far as the rest of the EU, the only way a lot of it can be "real" to me is to consider that much of it takes place in alternate universes. Yes, plural because I can't even really see it all in one alternate universe. Even without considering the movies at all, the EU is so self-contradictory (but is to be expected with hundreds of writers and contributors). You've got the Marvel SW Universe, the Zahn SW Universe (which does not include his prequel-era novel), etc. So in my mind it is really an Expanded Multiverse. But maybe some of it could be fictional stories in my universe.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take a similar approach to the Dark Empire and Tales of the Jedi comics.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell has a good explanation of it.
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Referee/Game Master/Story Teller what you accept as part of YOUR SW universe is completely up to you. If you say the Deathstar was never built, well then it was never built in your version. Imagine a tree with branches, every time a branch grows from the main trunk, it means that a major event in the universe took place. Depending on the outcome of the event, or the decitions people close to the event make, history splits off in various directions. this can happen many times along the branch as well, and so it allows for unendning variations of what is known as the "true" story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all. I wasn't really trying to convince anyone of this idea, but I though most of you might find it funny. I like Whill's explanations.

Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Hey, whatever works for you!

One user of this forum and others I visit said that in his SW universe, the prequels were just "Imperial propaganda". Of course I'm not sure that the story actually gives the Empire any good PR, and I think that most fans of the classic trilogy agree that it was not widely known that Vader was Anakin Skywalker, so the story would give away too much to the public (and Luke should have easily been able to find out Vader's identity if it were public knowledge).

I have the solution to that!:
After the battle of Endor, when most info was made public, someone made a series of historically based (but quite spiced) movies, like the original post in this thread suggests. This moviemaker however is in fact one of the survived jedi who turned to the dark side. He is interested in making money and thwarting both the old republic and the Empire. His name, by the way, is Darth Lucas... Twisted Evil
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anakin wrote:
After the battle of Endor, when most info was made public, someone made a series of historically based (but quite spiced) movies, like the original post in this thread suggests. This moviemaker however is in fact one of the survived jedi who turned to the dark side. He is interested in making money and thwarting both the old republic and the Empire. His name, by the way, is Darth Lucas... Twisted Evil
That's odd. I had heard that he was called Darth Georgius. Crying or Very sad
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Anakin wrote:

New conspiracy theory! There are still cloning labs operational somewhere... And probably somewhere out there there is a sith known as Darth Luucas and another one named Darth Georgiouus...
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anakin wrote:
New conspiracy theory! There are still cloning labs operational somewhere... And probably somewhere out there there is a sith known as Darth Luucas and another one named Darth Georgiouus...
Haha!

I always wondered why the Spaarti clones were named with an extra vowel. Is it just to match the double vowel in Spaarti?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coorrect.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anakin wrote:
Bren wrote:
Anakin wrote:

Always two there are.

dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: A funny way to deal with canon Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:

Think of the possibilities! No conflict between the Thrawn Trilogy and the Prequels/Clone Wars! Darth Vader was never whiny! Jar Jar never existed!

My friend; after the amount of dollars most of us have pumped into the Lucas machine, we don't owe him anything more than our admiration for the original triology...

Specifically for my game, I point you to the disclaimer on my Obsidian Portal campaign; This is a Star Wars campaign written in the spirit of the original trilogy and the WEG roleplaying game. It is Gungan, Midi-chlorian and Battledroid free.

It's your game and you may do with it as you will (and whatever sits with you and your players)!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: