The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

DVD coming this way
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> DVD coming this way Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which version do you like better?
Original trilogy
35%
 35%  [ 15 ]
Special edition
30%
 30%  [ 13 ]
mostly original, with a few from the Special Edition
30%
 30%  [ 13 ]
Thumb Wars and Hardware Wars
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 42

Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the part where Greedo shot first. Two reasons; I understood Han was a bad guy, which makes his return to the Death Star more dramatic -and- It reduces Greedo to a buffoon to miss at that range.

But other than that, I prefer the special edition.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

Han. Shot. First.

Don't mess with perfection.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed up till 5am watching all three movies. I must say that I enjoyed them as much as the first time that I watched them. There are 2 exceptions though and they both occured in Return of the Jedi. The first one is the changed song at the Ewok village. I really enjoyed the original, it felt tribal and better suited to the scene. The second one is that they replaced the old Anakin. Why should Anakin suddenly get younger in his death whilst Yoda and Kenobi stay the age they died at? If they change Anakin to Hayden, why not change Kenobi to Ewan?

Other then those two things I liked the other changes.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anakin "died" from the Light Side at a younger age, which is why his Force spirit is seen. Both Yoda and Obi-wan were always Light Side and so they are the age they were when they died. I'm sure Ep. III will have more explanation.

Since we won't be seeing the original Han vs. Greedo scene ever again (without watching the movies on VHS or laserdisc), I definitely like the DVD version better than the "Special Edition". I have watched it enough times, and I like to think of it as kind of an old west shootout in some cantina. Let the flaming begin, but I'm actually starting to like it better than the original scene. Shocked It's a personal opinion. Since it is George's project, and NOT ours, he had the right to change it. It's a done deal. Live with it or don't bother watching the movies on DVD. For people that have never seen the old 1977 version, they won't know the difference.

Who knows what will happen when the next home media is out...? (DVD's replacement.) Or what about after Ep. III has been out? George calls the DVD's the "classics" now. We still may yet see an "Ultimate Edition" (DVD or beyond) that will have other changes to tie-in all six movies.

Has anyone watched the bonus material? Oh sweet goodness... Ep. III can't come fast enough! Very Happy
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't agree more Scrawprin, The saber duel looks like it'll be the best one yet. I haven't watched all of the special features, but enough of them. Has any one played the new Star Wars game?

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*OFF TOPIC*
I got "STAR WARS Battlefront" the day it came out. The game rocks! 8) Yes, it has a similar game style to "Battlefield 1942" and its series, but it is not the same. Personally, I enjoy this more than the BF1942 mod, "Galactic Conquest" (STAR WARS mod). I don't know what is about the game, but SWB sucks my time away like there is no tomorrow... I start to play intending to play only a couple of battles, but next thing I know it is a few hours later! Laughing
Boba Fett
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm in the camp that is willing to buy Lucas' official releases, but will also resort to bootlegs for "unbastardized" versions. Maybe after he's dead (or maybe he'll get a clue himself some day), who ever controls the films, will realize they've been losing money to bootleggers due to Lucas' selfishness.

The four biggest problems I have with the SE's are:

1.) Greedo Shooting First: for all the previously mentioned reasons.
2.) "Jedi Rocks" it nearly ruins the entire Jabba's Palace sequence for me. If he really had to spruce up the scene, keep it at a minimum, and don't change a pretty nifty song into a giant piece of crap.
3.) Han and Jabba: a totally redundant scene; merely Lucas showing off that he can add new characters to old footage. Plus the Jabba is completly inconsistent with the RotJ one (a fine example of a great puppet outshining mediocre CG)
4.) Hayden at the end of RotJ: I'm not even going to get into this one; I understand the change, but don't agree with it as the original version still made sense

I am glad on the DVD he removed, a small, but what I felt was a near film destroying addition: Luke's scream in ESB as he falls. He sacrificed himself, that awful scream that graced the 1997 editions was cringe inducing and destroyed the meaning and emotion behind the scene

And I do miss Jason Wingreen's voice for Boba Fett, but I guess the change was needed for continuity. Its a shame Wingreen hasn't worked since 1994 otherwise Lucas could have dubbed over Morrison in AotC with an even more badass voice. I can only assume the man is in no condition to act nor lend his voice to a role.
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that there is no "mostly special edition, with a few parts from the original" choice Wink

Yes for the most part, SE is the bomb. There are some parts from the original that I kinda miss. Mostly the music from Jabba's Palace and the Ewok celebration at the end. The new music is alright, but I get kinda nostalgic for the original stuff sometimes.

I like what they added to the DVD Editions. It seems like they cleaned up the Han vs. Greedo scene so that they seem to fire at just about the same time... and Han's little "head dodge" doesn't seem so jerky and fake.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half on topic: Review of episode III on Bigfanboy...

http://www.bigfanboy.com/pages/reviews/filmreviews/2005/sw3/ep3.html
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we're half on topic, here is Kevin Smith's review. Be careful, he gives away a few spoilers and uses some strong language.

http://viewaskew.com/news/sith/
Boba Fett
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA-3PO wrote:
As long as we're half on topic, here is Kevin Smith's review. Be careful, he gives away a few spoilers and uses some strong language.

http://viewaskew.com/news/sith/

Take everything Smith says with a big grain of salt. He originally said Episode I was right on par with the original trilogy, and then did the same thing with Episode II.

He's a big suck up, and apparently it's landed him directing duties on the upcoming Star Wars TV series.

Although, compared to the other reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, I'd say its a safe bet that for once he's not full of it.
Darth_Kjeran
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chello!

I actually like the SE DVD in their entirity...I figure Uncle George knows what he's doing...and if he doesn't, well, it's his baby anyway! Wink

Tony
Jedi Knight Jael Weiss
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with everyone with respect to Han vs. Greedo. So no more needs to be said.

The only real problem that I have with replacing the original Anakin with Hayden is that Hayden didn't have a real "personal" look. He didn't look like he really fit in with Obi-Wan and Yoda, and had no personal interaction with Luke like the original Anakin did.

I don't know if I am being clear on this. Hayden didn't quite fit into the scene. Other than that, I really didn't have any trouble with this.

Jael...
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The orignal Anakin was the late Sebastian Shaw. Just in case you didn't know his name.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: