The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

how to start a new PBP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> PbP Overview -> how to start a new PBP
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: how to start a new PBP Reply with quote

how do i start a new PBP? is there any way that a sticky could be put up at the top of the forum to give directions to those in the future that want to do this?

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: how to start a new PBP Reply with quote

bobenhotep wrote:
how do i start a new PBP? is there any way that a sticky could be put up at the top of the forum to give directions to those in the future that want to do this?

well usually you post here with the idea, see if you have enough interest.

then you PM one of hte admins that you want a forum created, andBAM there you go.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these days Gry is the one to PM

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started I had to have an idea and if memory serves I had to ask Loc. But at that time there was only one active PbP (Jamfke's), a lot has since changed so I can't begin to say who you need to contact. But it does help to have a basic idea what you want to do.

Wanted Poster
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently joined the site and am thoroughly enjoying the forums. I've also recently gotten in on a pbp game (thanks Hellcat) and am enjoying that as well.

That has me thinking about possibly running a pbp game on the site. I just can't seem to get my local group together anymore and want to run a game. I'm going to wait awhile and just enjoy the game I'm playing in, but if I decide in a few months to run a game on this site, what exactly am I getting into? To those out there who are running games, how much time do you devote to keep your game running? What are some things to think about before starting up a game?

No rush on this, but would be curious to hear from the gms out there. Thanks.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really up to you and the expectations your players have. You can devote as much time or as little as you like. The pace of the game will reflect your decision.

Some groups of players are more patient than others. You can either set out your intended pacing when you advertise to get players, so they can gauge if it will be too fast/slow for their liking, and you can adjust once the game actually gets underway.

Things to think about... same things you'd think about for a table top: the basic gist of the story, the types of characters that would be appropriate for it, and your pacing. That's about it, really.

Personally, I found it very helpful in my once-a-week update schedule to choose a specific day of the week to push the story forward, and stick to it. Otherwise, it's very easy to let things slide, and before you know it, it's been a month with no real change. However, if players were moving quickly enough, I'd update sooner to try and maintain interest and push the story along.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Personally, I found it very helpful in my once-a-week update schedule to choose a specific day of the week to push the story forward, and stick to it. Otherwise, it's very easy to let things slide, and before you know it, it's been a month with no real change. However, if players were moving quickly enough, I'd update sooner to try and maintain interest and push the story along.

Does that mean whether everyone has posted or not? I mean, did you go ahead and advance regardless of how many players had responded?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During non-combat situations, I might make a comment that the NPCs are getting impatient, or just make an OOC post asking for posts.

During combat rounds, I began to implement a "no post, no action" policy to encourage posting... not posting an action can get a character killed or left behind. This was a somewhat extreme decision on my part, but, it kept things moving. The GM of a game I'm playing asked us for the default sort of action our character would be likely to make in a combat, then uses that if we don't respond in time.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> PbP Overview All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: