The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The K-Wing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> The K-Wing Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kemper Boyd wrote:
I remember some WEG book also presenting an Imperial patrol craft that has mountings to carry a couple TIE fighters through hyperspace...
In the Planet's Collection page 104 under Elrood Sector Other Imperial Vessels - there are 12 Patrol Craft that can be equipped with a "TIE Modular Hanger" which attaches to the vessel's hull and can carry two TIE fighters.
Patrol Craft. Capital, capital ship gunnery 4D+1, capital ship piloting 5D. Maneuverability 2D, space 5, hull 3D+1, shields 3D. Weapons: 4 laser cannons (fire control 2D, damage 4D+2), 2 medium ion cannon (fire-linked, starfighter scale, fire control 3D, damage 4D).
They are hyperdrive equipped, but the hyperdrive is not mentioned. I would assume x2 hyperdrive.

We put the TIE Modular Hanger on a number of Imperial customs and picket vessels including some light cruisers. The TIEs allow visual inspection of more vessels, extend the patrol range, and increase the combat and pursuit capability of the pickets.

And as a GM it allows players in light freighters or starfighters to encounter the TIEs first and then the GM has the capital ship as a backup threat.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm writing up my own stats for the K-Wing, featuring two different versions: the Mk. I (which approximates the novel version) and the Mk. II (which more closely resembles the NEGVV version without the excess energy weapon silliness). The idea is that the Mk. I is the initial version, and that combat experience showed that the craft needed a hyperdrive and at least some defensive weaponry, and so the Mk. II was created. I have the stats written up for both, but I don't want to post them without creating a more detailed stat-list for the types of ordnance the K-Wing can carry.

The way I figure it, since the K-Wing has 18 hardpoints, and not everything that can be fitted on them is the same size, the ordnance types should be divided up into categories based on size, designated Type 0 through Type 4. Type 0 indicates submunition scale weapons small enough for multiple weapon to be carried in a pod on a single hardpoint, while Type 4 indicates massive bombs and missiles that take up 4 hardpoints.

Here's a preliminary list of bombs, missiles, cannon pods, submunitions and special mission pods that could conceivably be hung on a K-Wing's hardpoints. I'd appreciate some suggestions as to how they should be divided up:

Concussion Missile
Proton Torpedo
Shieldbuster Torpedo
Cluster Missile
Heavy Rocket
Anti-Ship Missile

Heavy Bomb
Concussion Bomb
Proton Bomb
Cluster Bomb
Space Mines
Sensor Buoy

Cannon Pods
-Mass Driver
-Laser Cannon
-Ion Cannon
-Tractor Beam
-Submunition Dispenser
--Thermal Detonators
--Mini-Rockets
--Landmines

Mission Pods
-Jamming
-Recon
-Targeting
-Low-Altitude Navigation
-Astrogation
-Ferry Tank

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-Wing Heavy Strike Starfighter

The K-Wing was developed as a replacement for the venerable Y-Wing starfighter, and entered service just in time to see action in the bloody battles of the Black Fleet Crisis. Although the K-Wing was more than capable in its primary mission of ordnance delivery, the ship was revealed to be highly vulnerable to enemy starfighters. Furthermore, due to the lack of a hyperdrive (an experimental move on the part of Fleet R&D), the K-Wing had to be transported into combat by carrier vessels, who were then forced to remain exposed while recovering the K-Wings. With these shortcomings revealed, the decision was made to immediately begin production of an upgraded K-Wing to correct them.

The most notable change was to the ship's crew compartment. The Mk. I K-Wing had featured a narrow, blunt-nosed tandem cockpit that seated the pilot in front of the bombardier. The Mk. II's pilot and bombardier were placed in individual cockpits mounted side by side, bracketing the new dual laser cannon turret that had been added for defense against enemy starfighters. In an emergency, the cockpit section itself is designed to operate as an independent vessel, complete with its own sublight and hyperdrive. The sublight drive on the cockpit section features a vectored thrust system that is so effective that the Mk. I's SLAM module has been completely removed from the Mk. II, as the cockpit's engine output matches the SLAM module's performance and exceeds it in endurance.

With the SLAM module rendered redundant, Koensayr engineers replaced it with a Point 2 Hyperdrive, which permits the K-Wing the same degree of mobility found in other Alliance starfighters. The Mk. II K-Wing has met with mixed reviews from some pilots who dislike the decreased visibility of the new cockpit layout, but the addition of an extra set of eyes in the form of the laser gunner has ultimately proven more effective at visual scanning. The Mk. II K-Wing is ultimately shaping up to be a worthy addition to the Alliance's starfighter arsenal.

Craft: Koensayr Manufacturing BTL-S8 Mk. I
Type: Heavy Bomber
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Length: 16 meters
Skill: Starfighter Piloting: K-Wing
Crew: 2 (can coordinate)
Crew Skill:
Starfighter Piloting 4D
Starship Gunnery 4D
Starship Shields 3D+2
Cargo Capacity: 500 kilograms
Consumables: 2 days
Cost: 250,000 (new), 120,000 (used)
Maneuverability: 2D (3D when SLAM in use)
Space: 7 (9 when SLAM in use) (3D+2 / 4D+2)
Atmosphere: 350; 1,000kmh (400; 1,150 kph when SLAM in use)
Hull: 5D
Shields: 2D
Sensors:
Passive 20/1D
Scan 35/2D
Search 70/3D
Focus3/3D+2
Weapons:
9 Weapon Hardpoints
Game Use: Each weapon hardpoint can mount a variety of different Mission Pods, each with different functions and capabilities. A Pod can carry one of the following:In addition, the center-line pod is equipped to handle a variety of different Cannon Pods (Pick One):
    Heavy Laser Cannon
    Fire Arc: Front
    Skill: Starship Gunnery
    Fire Control:
    Range:
    --Space: 1-3/12/25
    --Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
    Damage: 7D
    Heavy Ion Cannon
    Fire Control:
    Range:
    --Space: 1-3/7/16
    --Atmosphere: 100m-300m/700m/1.6km
    Damage: 5D (Ionization)
    Rotary Mass Driver
    Fire Control:
    Range:
    --Space: 1-3/7/15
    --Atmosphere: 100m-300m/700m/1.5km
    Rate of Fire: 2D Auto-Fire
    Damage: 3D
Special Equipment: SLAM (Sub-Light Acceleration Motor)
This auxiliary thruster is used to boost speed and maneuverability at critical moments. The SLAM has sufficient fuel for 12 rounds of operation, and must be refueled before it can be reused.

Craft: Koensayr Manufacturing BTL-S8 Mk. II
As the Mk. I, except as noted:
Crew: 2 & 1 Gunner
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 4D
Starship Shields 4D
Cargo Capacity: 100 kilograms
Consumables: 4 days
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1
Nav Computer: Limited (4 jumps)
Weapons:
9 Weapon Hardpoints (See Mk. I)
Twin Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: Turret (Dorsal)
Crew: 1
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 5D
Special Equipment: Auxiliary Drive
This auxiliary system is used to boost speed and maneuverability at critical moments. Unlike the Mk. I's SLAM, there is no fuel limit on the use of this system, but use does consume fuel from the cockpit escape pod's engines, so it is generally only used when absolutely necessary.

Craft: K-Wing Mk. II Escape Pod
Type: Armed Escape Pod
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Length: 5 meters
Skill: Starfighter Piloting: K-Wing
Crew: 2 (Gunner: 1)
Crew Skill: As K-Wing
Cargo Capacity: 100 kilograms
Consumables: 4 days
Cost: Not Available For Sale (integrated into K-Wing)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2 (Also acts as a x8 backup hyperdrive while still attached to the K-Wing)
Nav Computer: Limited (4 jumps)
Maneuverability: 3D
Space: 8 (4D)
Atmosphere: 365; 1,050kmh
Hull: 2D
Sensors:
Passive 20/1D
Scan 35/2D
Search 70/3D
Focus3/3D+2
Weapons:
Twin Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: Turret (Dorsal)
Crew: 1
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 4D

House Rule Notes:
    SHIELD & SHIELD CONTROL: 2D @ 1D
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 2D Flight (2D+1 when SLAM in use.)

OK, it's after midnight as I'm finishing writing this up, so if there is something that doesn't make sense, let me know later...

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:24 pm; edited 16 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Plus that modified freighter (think it was in Bakura) which had foward launching tubes for the fighters.. ala Battlestar galactica.

Don't remember that one. The only starfighter in Truce at Bakura was the Flurry, and it had a wide-open docking bay...

I thought the flurry launched from tubes.. maybe i am mixing stuff up.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I thought the flurry launched from tubes.. maybe i am mixing stuff up.

I do wonder what the in-game effects of launch tubes would be. Maybe ships that launch "normally" with tractor beam assist start out flight at Cautious Speed, but ships that use a launch tube are already at Cruising or Full Speed when launched? That gives them a speed advantage in combat over other, slower-launching craft...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe i was dreaming it up.. cause that was my thoughts as well.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Maybe i was dreaming it up.. cause that was my thoughts as well.

Honestly, I can't think of any ships in the SWU that use launch tubes. Maybe the Bothan Assault Cruiser...

Gamer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flurry only had a large open bay.
The only vessel I can recall that has tubes is the enforcer one dreadnaught in tales of the jedi book, it is equiped with a few launch chutes.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder then, where i was getting it from, as i have not really read the ToTJ book.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've been working on updating my Ordnance Rules, I've come back around to the K-Wing.

One of the biggest problems I've had wrapping my head around the K-Wing is how to reconcile what its official write-up says it can carry with what it actually carries in combat in the Black Fleet Crisis books. Very little is given in the way of actual numbers, but there is one mention of a K-Wing "packing heavy" while carrying "one egg (T-33 Plasma Torpedo) and eight CM-5 concussion missiles". That, however, doesn't really square with the "official" stats saying it has 18 Weapon Hardpoints.

What I'm currently thinking is giving the K-Wing nine weapon hardpoints, one on the center-line and four on each wing. Each hardpoint can mount a variety of pods that can be mixed and matched to carry a variety of ordnance, with each pod being able to carry:In addition, the center line hardpoint would be equipped to handle a variety of gun pods (since some of the K-Wings in Before the Storm were equipped with Mass Driver cannon).

This configuration satisfies both the official description's weapon numbers while also explaining how a K-Wing that is "packing heavy" could only be carrying nine weapons.

I'm also considering limiting the number of hardpoints that can carry non-ordnance mission pods, like fuel tanks and the like, but then I'm getting ahead of myself.

Stats to follow once I finish updating the Ordnance Rules.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added the new rules for the Weapon Hardpoints to the K-Wing stat post. At the moment, I've restricted it to just weapon systems; while I do have a write-up for external pods, I've been rethinking it, as it is too easy for a single ship to be turned into do-everything super ship by slapping the right combination of pods onto it. With the capability of mounting nine pods, the K-Wing would be the greatest beneficiary of this.

One factor I didn't include in the External Pod write-up is that it's more complicated than just slapping a pod onto a ship; the ship has to have the right hardware and software to be able to interface with and operate the pod. While there is EU precedent for starfighters being equipped with external fuel pods, I'm thinking that I really want to pare down how easily starfighters can mix and match pods; IMO, most of them should only be capable of fitting auxiliary fuel tanks. I've already stated out the TIE Bomber with an optional Modular Pod system, so I'm thinking the Y-Wing should get the lion's share of accessibility to different pods.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: