The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Alternate Force Point Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Alternate Force Point Rules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Alternate Force Point Rules Reply with quote

Rationale
According to the Rules as Written, use of a Force Point doubles all die rolls for that round. This allows a character to become much more powerful in a manner sometimes described as nuclear – while this may be dramatically interesting and fun for the FP user, there are potential downsides and unintended consequences. In trying to revise Lightsaber Dueling and the lightsaber combat power, it has become clear that this problem is greatly magnified for Jedi.
    (i) For Jedi characters doubling all skills and attributes in a round has a multiplicative effect. For example a Jedi in a lightsaber duel with lightsaber 8D, control 6D, and sense 6D; using lightsaber combat, the Jedi has 8D+6D-2D=12D to attack and does 5D+6D-2D=9D damage. Using a Force Point the same Jedi now does 8Dx2+6Dx2-2D=26D to attack and 5D+6Dx2-2D=15D damage. Given the high attack and damage dice, Vader, Kenobi, Yoda, or the Emperor would not survive without using a FP. This is a major reason that it is effectively impossible to replicate the extended lightsaber duels we see in the movies using the RAW. The first Jedi to use a FP immediately kills any opponent with remotely similar skill levels who does not use a FP.

(ii) Similarly a skilled pilot: starfighter piloting 8D, starship gunnery 6D will easily evade and shoot any pilot of remotely similar skill levels. And if the optional rules to do additional damage with a good attack roll is used, he may well destroy any opponent not using a FP.

(iii) A Wookiee with a 5D STR, brawling 6D, and dodge 4D uses a Force Point to attack a group of stormtroopers, who are about to gun down a group of citizens in reprisal for Rebel attacks on planet. The FP doubles all of the Wookiee’s skills and abilities, so he rolls 10D for damage and attacks with a 12D brawl. He chooses to make 8 attacks and no dodge. Attacking all 8 squad members. His attack is 12D-7D=5D* and he does 10D damage with his attack. He is not dodging, so he will be hit multiple times, but since he rolls 10D to resist the stormtroopers 5D blaster rifles, he is unlikely to take any damage. Since the FP was used to attack, the doubled STR roll to resist damage is a possibly unintended benefit of the FP usage. So that in addition to succeeding at a critical skill use at a dramatically appropriate time, the character is also protected from the risks of his actions by the doubled STR roll. Since this is a by product of the FP use, it is more difficult for a GM to discern if such use is selfish – preventing the return of the Force Point at the end of the adventure.
    * Alternately his attack may be computed as 6Dx2+5D (for the increase in STR) - 7D (for MAPs) = 10D.

(iv) Since both PCs and NPCs have and can use Force Points and since the impact of failing to use a FP when one’s opponent chooses to use a FP can be immediately fatal, it becomes very difficult to have tense, multi-round, combats and challenges like those that we see in the films. This, I maintain, is a problem.
One possible solution is to change what using a FP does to lessen the benefit of Force Point use.

The New Rule
Instead of doubling all skills and attributes, the player picks a single skill or attribute that his character is using that round. The use of a Force Point then creates a dice pool based on the dice for that skill or attribute. The dice in the pool are available to add to any skill or attribute roll that round, with the limitation that no skill or attribute may be increased above twice the character’s skill or attribute and at least 1D must be allocated to the skill or attribute that the character selected to create the dice pool from.

Examples
    1. A Jedi in a lightsaber duel with lightsaber 8D, control 6D, and sense 6D; using lightsaber combat. The Jedi uses a FP choosing to affect his lightsaber skill of 8D. That gives the Jedi a dice pool of 8D to his actions for the round. At least 1D must be allocated to his lightsaber skill and at most 6D may be added to his Control or Sense.
      a. The Jedi could increase his lightsaber skill by 4D and his Control by 4D. Resulting in a lightsaber attack of 8D+6D-2D+4D=16D and damage of 5D+6D-2D+4D=13D. While this is still very powerful, it is now possible for a Vader to spend CPs and successfully parry.
      b. The Jedi could spend all 8D on his lightsaber skill, which would give him a 20D attack, making success almost certain, but in this case his damage does not increase above 9D, his total without a FP. A Vader-like opponent could now spend his 5CPs on his STR roll. Now he can survive the strike, though possibly ending up stunned or wounded.
      c. Alternately the Jedi could add as many dice as possible to his Control skill to increase his damage. Since his Control is 6D he could add up to 6D to his control roll. The remaining 2D would be assigned to lightsaber combat

2. A pilot with starfighter piloting 8D, starship gunnery 6D uses a FP and chooses to affect his piloting. He now has a dice pool of 8D which he can divide amongst his piloting and gunnery skills. He spends between 1D and 8D on piloting and may add up to 6D to his gunnery. While he can easily evade or shoot any pilot of remotely similar skill levels; doing both will be more difficult. And to take advantage of the optional rules to do additional damage will increase the risk of being hit by return fire since it will require even fewer dice be added to his own evasion roll.

3. A Wookiee with a 5D STR, brawling 6D, and dodge 4D uses a Force Point to attack a group of stormtroopers, who are about to gun down a group of citizens in reprisal for Rebel attacks on planet. The Wookiee choose to have the FP affect his brawling. This gives him a dice pool of 6D that he can allocate. He must allocate at least 1D to brawling and may allocate up to 5D to STR. Now he will not be able to easily defeat an entire squad of stormtroopers in a single round. In addition, it is easy to judge that the addition to the STR roll is intentional and possibly selfish, rather than a mere unintentional by product of using a FP.
If these alternate Force Point rules are used, the GM may wish to allow characters to both use a FP and spend character points in the same round. However, the GM may wish to restrict the CP expenditure:
    • To only skills other than the skill chosen for the FP usage.
    • To no more than double the dice in the skill or attribute being increased (ignoring any extra dice from the wild die).

Have you observed these problems with FP usage? Do you have other methods of managing the problems? Other comments?

[Edit: 'alter' to 'sense' in example (1)]

Last edited by Bren on Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A minor typo on Example 1, where you have the Jedi rolling Control and Alter for Lightsaber Combat, which is a Control and Sense power. That threw me for a second.

I'm still digesting the rest, but on the surface it definitely seems to address the issue. The existing Force Point rules seem designed for lower level characters only, and the higher your skill level gets, the more cumbersome it becomes. Something definitely needs to be done.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id say you automatically base the dice pool on the skill with the highest level you use in the round.

The major problem with FP:s is not not that you temporarily become invulnerable, but as you mention, that encountering the 'bad guy' will most probably be a short fatal encounter (for the side not having or spending a FP).

Say I pit my Dark Jedi NPC against the characters. If the NPC calls on the dark side and no character declares a FP, they are probably all toast in one round.. If a character calls on a FP while Im not, my 'major' NPC is just a fly on the windscreen as the characters drive by... Either way, its not that exciting for anyone. Even with FPs being made less powerful, the same problem remains even if to a lesser degree..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
A minor typo on Example 1, where you have the Jedi rolling Control and Alter for Lightsaber Combat, which is a Control and Sense power. That threw me for a second.
I can see where that would be confusing. Embarassed Thanks for catching that. I've edited the original to fix it.
ZzaphodD wrote:
Id say you automatically base the dice pool on the skill with the highest level you use in the round.
I'm fine with that.
ZzaphodD wrote:
The major problem with FP:s is not not that you temporarily become invulnerable, but as you mention, that encountering the 'bad guy' will most probably be a short fatal encounter (for the side not having or spending a FP).

Say I pit my Dark Jedi NPC against the characters. If the NPC calls on the dark side and no character declares a FP, they are probably all toast in one round.. If a character calls on a FP while Im not, my 'major' NPC is just a fly on the windscreen as the characters drive by... Either way, its not that exciting for anyone. Even with FPs being made less powerful, the same problem remains even if to a lesser degree..
That is the main problem I want to correct. Though I have also seen it where the FP user becomes immune or extremely resistant to damage as a side effect, rather than the intent of the usage and I wanted to address that as well. It tends to be most problematic for high STR characters like Wookiees, Coynites, Houks, and Esoomians.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way i have seen it reigned in, is that maps acrue more for being on a FP.. 0 for 1 action, -1d for 2, -3d for 3, -5d for 4 and so on.. Also i have seen that you can pop a FP for either offense or defense. so if going offense, your str (for soak) does NOT double.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
One way i have seen it reigned in, is that maps acrue more for being on a FP.. 0 for 1 action, -1d for 2, -3d for 3, -5d for 4 and so on.. Also i have seen that you can pop a FP for either offense or defense. so if going offense, your str (for soak) does NOT double.
The first rule just seems wierd and doesn't fix anything if the total number of actions is small and the second rule turns the Jedi into a glass cannon without doing anything to limit the explosive damage of the cannon. I think something else (more) is needed.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't allow force points to affect soak, and often have a cap of 5 actions per round at GM's discretion...

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
We don't allow force points to affect soak, and often have a cap of 5 actions per round at GM's discretion...
Interesting. Is there a specific rationale for FP not effecting soak?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
Interesting. Is there a specific rationale for FP not effecting soak?

My old GM never explained his reasoning. It may have been that my PC had 4D strength and he didn't need any more. I just adopted it because I thought it was in the RAW at the time. I do allow CPs to be spent on soak, though.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
My old GM never explained his reasoning. It may have been that my PC had 4D strength and he didn't need any more. I just adopted it because I thought it was in the RAW at the time. I do allow CPs to be spent on soak, though.
But according to the RAW you can't spend CPs in the same round that you use a FP. Are you allowing CPs to be spent for soak even in a round where a FP is used?

Increasing soak for STR when using a FP is sometimes a problem, but I think a greater problem is the nuclear nature of FP use that both ZzaphodD and I have mentioned. That is the major problem I am trying to tinker to fix.

I did pull out my Hercules/Xena game and noted that Fate Points in that system only double a single skill or attribute. That is similar to what I am considering implementing, though I am thinking of allowing a bit more flexibility by using a dice pool.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
But according to the RAW you can't spend CPs in the same round that you use a FP. Are you allowing CPs to be spent for soak even in a round where a FP is used?
No. You have to plan in a dodge ahead of time, and hope it's good enough, or soak normally. It adds some caution to the nuclear option.

Incidentally, I do kind of like the nuclear-ness of the force point. I think it's space opera-ish to be able to dive into a firefight and be a superhero for five seconds.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Incidentally, I do kind of like the nuclear-ness of the force point. I think it's space opera-ish to be able to dive into a firefight and be a superhero for five seconds.
The problem I see is when the villain dives into a firefight first you get a dead hero or a total party kill instead of a PC superhero or when the PCs dive in immediately (because they are afraid to wait since the villain may dive in first) and there is no time for a dramatic denouement nor for the villain to make his manaical monologue. But if you aren't experiencing a problem with FPs then don't change anything.

I've been thinking about the comments so far and I am thinking a dice pool may be too complicated and may slow down play. So I am starting to lean towards a simplification of just doubling one skill or attribute for the round the way it is in Hercules and Xena.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I've been thinking about the comments so far and I am thinking a dice pool may be too complicated and may slow down play. So I am starting to lean towards a simplification of just doubling one skill or attribute for the round the way it is in Hercules and Xena.

Or maybe one action, like using a Force power that requires multiple skills.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Bren wrote:

Or maybe one action, like using a Force power that requires multiple skills.
It's scary when you are thinking what I am thinking. Wink That is the one problem I saw with the one skill/attribute rule, since powers like affect mind, projective telepathy, and lightsaber combat all use multiple force skills. But on the other hand, I don't want the Force powers to be too over the top so I am a little concerned that doubling all the skills for that power is too much. Compare doubling the lightsaber skill vs. doubling (per the RAW) the lightsaber combat power effect which increases both to hit and damage. I'm thinking something less than doubling all the skills for a single power may be needed, though I am not sure what mechanic to use to manage that.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I7vwe mentuioned this before, but it seems to be heading along the same lines as this thread is going:

How about spending a FP just shifts the Success level of an action?

That would be even simpler than the X&H method, downgrade FPs a bit, but still make them very powerful, since characters can pull off nigh-impossible tasks by spending an FP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: