The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Which edition?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Which edition? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which edition of the WEG rules do you like the most?
1st Edition
11%
 11%  [ 7 ]
2nd Edition
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
2nd Edition Revised and Expanded
73%
 73%  [ 44 ]
Total Votes : 60

Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad When WotC's game came out, we tried it with a small thrill of excitement. The art was pretty good. Whoever wrote the Naboo mini-campaign did an excellent job! But it wasn't enough to overcome the shortcomings of the d20 system. By the end of the campaign the first two things I heard was: Is that all? My character can't develop except in these narrow confines? -and- Could we play it again? This time with WEG rules?

Even in the first rule book they knew their system was too limited. There was a comment about that in the book! "Don't think of character classes as limiting the players..." But that's exactly what it did.

Am I the only one that noticed the ciminal classes get more skill points/skills/feats than the noble classes? In WotC's game the dark side IS stronger.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i agree, when it comes to fluid gameplay WEG kicks WoTC. In fact, i like every aspect of WEG more than Wizards crap Razz
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEG = cinematic
WOTC = problematic

I’m so clever I made it rhyme.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEG's rules were always made well enough to allow more experienced characters to do stuff out of the movies, and yet was flexible enough to allow in-experienced characters to have moments of amazing feats.
Brandon
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll admit I've got a few WoTC books in my collection, but only for reference. Very Happy

I did a lot of gaming with the 2nd Edition WEG rules but after buying the "3rd" edition rules in late 96 I haven't looked back.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, revised and expanded is leet Smile
Jen'tara Rhee
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:
I couldn’t agree more.
Just giving one example, WEG had lightsabre combat to explain things such as “ninja-fu Yoda” in AOTC, and how a Jedi could slay a sith in one blow (or vice versa), their system was designed for Star Wars.

[sarcasm toward WotC]OH! But you are wrong... in d20 you CAN kill any NPC or PC in one hit... you just have to roll a 20 on your attack roll then roll very high on your damage roll. Happens all the time. [/sarcasm toward WotC]
Rancor Pit Martial Arts Styles: http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9894#9894
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second Edition, Revised and Expanded. It's really the edition that truely introduced me to SW RPG so I kinda have to go with it. Looking at it compared to WotC's stuff (god converting their stuff can sometimes give me a headache, but it's worth it to have it in a more proper SW RPG format), I just don't think I could have gotten into SW RPGing at all had I been introduced to it through them.

Wanted Poster
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satr Wars 1st edition. That's me all the way. With a few mods from 2nd, like wild die and Die capping for different scales. Other than that, I just feel first is more open and unlimitted in use, especially where the force is concerned. I also liked the way damage was figured in first edition better, with 2xStrength to incapacitate, and 3xStrength to mortally wound. And for me, the vehicle speed codes in dice instead of fixed movement made chases seem more dramatic, more cinimatic, and hey, that's what it's all about right? Sure, movement points works fine for miniatures.
Darth_Kjeran
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chello!

2R&E all the way!!!!

I like the look and think that it has the best layout of the different editions.

Tony
Ars_Fortuna
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necropoll!!!!

I go with 2nd R&E, for the rules upgrade. But somehow the old 2nd blue book holds a special place in my heart. It was the first RPG book I ever held that had a good mechanic system inside.
He eats a LOT
He's getting big!
He needs a lot of attention
Assigned crewer to pet him
He's attacking the crew
Stop, Fluffy, stop!
I'm going to miss him
Jedi Knight Jael Weiss
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say 2nd edition, although I still use some things from 1st.

This may be strange to say, but I used to have the 2nd R&E manual from WEG, but lost it a few years ago; however, I really don't miss it. I still have the 1st and 2nd, and those have been more than enough.

Jael...
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big blue will always be a book that I most connect with, but the rules update in R&E makes it more important.

It's not a choice, but if you use the new D6 core rules as applied to Star Wars, that update seems to be really signifigant too. It changes some fundamentals of the jedi and expands on several other areas. Overall, it looks good. Anyone really into Star Wars D6 should seriously consider picking up a d6 core book, space obviously most useful.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played all three editions over the years, but prefer 2nd R&E. Predomintly for the clarifications of some skills, force powers, and the die scale rather than capping...
Skaff Toxian
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only played the 2nd Edition Revised & Expanded. Because me and my troupe started playing a month ago.
He had alot of the books from 2nd Edition R&E. He got them from his brother that dose'nt play WEG star Wars anymore.
But i would like to try 2nd and 1st Edition..
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: