The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Which edition?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Which edition? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which edition of the WEG rules do you like the most?
1st Edition
11%
 11%  [ 7 ]
2nd Edition
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
2nd Edition Revised and Expanded
73%
 73%  [ 44 ]
Total Votes : 60

Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a 2nd edition person myself. Even though I played 1st edition, the books I purchased were 2nd edition and I liked what they had. R&E had lost of neat bells and whistles, but I didn't like the changing of the scale rules (who needs more dice?) and there were some other teeny things that just made me go "eh, no thanks". So I stick with regular 2nd edition when I game.
Morpheus Grifullkin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2nd Ed. RAE is my favorite. I've played it with my dad and his friends.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've played it with my dad and his friends

Just curious morph. how old are you?
Morpheus Grifullkin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play D20 and D6

I say I prefer D20 because it's cleaner and more intuitive. You throw a grenade, you make a reflex save, it hurts everybody. You don't have some crazy thing where a thermal detonator doesn't hurt someone because they made a dodge. That's ridiculous.

It's balanced. Jedi can't do everything in the game through the use of a couple of Force Skills. Even though classes are restrictive, it forces a real party dynamic. There isn't some glory-hog Jedi that can do everything and everyone else gets forced to the sidelines. Everyone gets a chance to shine at what they do.

It's played and in print. I can find far more D20 games than I can D6. Books are easy to find. That's a fact.

D6 is nice because it's fast and messy. The rules are all over the damn place. Everyone's constantly confused and flipping through pages. Everything is intentionally vauged. It's cinematic, but sometimes I want to throw the book across the room and curl up in a corner from all the chaos.

Some people like structured and ordered play. I like structured and ordered play. I like Races and classes balanced to be equal. I would prefer to sacrifice game mechanics that are "true" to the movies in favor of ones that actually make a fair game. Because frankly, any two-bit hack of a writer can make a fine description of whatever happens with the dice. What's important in a gaming system is not the setting, but the mathematical mechanics. Because flavor and setting while your actually playing is provided by the GM and the players, not the gaming company that sits in the background.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TarlSS wrote:
You don't have some crazy thing where a thermal detonator doesn't hurt someone because they made a dodge. That's ridiculous.

Yes, it is. This isn't a problem with the D6 system, it is clearly a breakdown of understanding the rules by a GM. In D6 a dodge is also considered movement, as you leap, roll, run, whatever, out of the way of fire. So it isn't that you "Take no damage because you dodged", dodging doesn't mean you are standing in the middle of the blast unscathed! This is also subject to GM common sense, and since a character can only move so far in a round, he may still take partial damage...also, it depends on how acurate the attackers throw was (was he aiming at the right spot, etc...) and you need to take these into account, and refer to blast radius, and the grenade scatter. However, all of this is a moot point, as when we look at a Thermal Detonator, we see it's maximum throwing range is 12 meters, while it's balst is 20m, so even the thrower is caught!

D20 intuitive and clean? In a nerfer's eye. Every D20 book I see is a collection of charts and tables that require constant referencing for play. As for the rules in D6 being all over the place, this just isn't so, the core rules are presented in the beginning of the book, and that's it. The rules for D20 are just as scattered, throughout multiple books. I have played both D6 and multiple incarnations of d20, including the games the current D20 evolved from. Just as you can take concepts from D6 out of context and make them sound ludicrous I can do the same with D20:
• No, I wont take 0 damage because I dodged, but I get a refelx save, and so I may take reduced damage, or zero damage anyways. What is a reflex save, let's see, the D20 books refer to it as using agility and co-ordination to attempt to leap out of harms way...gee...a dodge!
• I can just throw the grenade, every is caught, roll damage! woohoooo
I don't need to roll to hit, I automatically hit! All blast radius weapons automatically land where I aim them.

As for the character classes and races in D20 being more balanced, that is also a joke.
In regards to Jedi being unbalanced, I do not see how everyone reaches this conclusion. They need more CP to increase their force powers, their difficulty numbers are all fairly high, even for mundane tasks, and a good hit from a heavy blaster drops most of them. Any character in D6 has the potential to become unbalanced, just as any character in D20 has the same potential to become unbalanced through the feats. Fact is, even in the latest incarnation of D20, the system degenerates to munchkinising dungeon crawls where you only get experience for kills, just like it's ancestor, and frankly, that just isn't Star Wars.

Last edited by KageRyu on Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TarlSS wrote:
I would prefer to sacrifice game mechanics that are "true" to the movies in favor of ones that actually make a fair game.

I applaud you your honesty, sir. I play D6 because the years have taught me "fair" is an illusion. I want to relive the "Gee whiz! Wow!" that is Star Wars. If I wanted fair, I'd play chess. Because I want fun, I play D6.

TarlSS wrote:
I say I prefer D20 because it's cleaner and more intuitive.
Shocked

Quick, without looking at the charts; Whats the DC for driving a speeder at night without lights? The defense rests.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:

Quick, without looking at the charts; Whats the DC for driving a speeder at night without lights? The defense rests.

This is actually quite amusing as this came up in the very first adventure of my new Fall of the Republic campaign. 'Course, the guy driving was also doing about 150kph, on a twisting and winding back road through a forest (more modifiers, yay). With D6, I just assigned what I thought a reasonable difficulty - 20. In retrospect, I probably should have made it a 25 or 30, but oh well, just wanted to keep the game flowing.
Lord Aramus
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D20 takes everything from Ad&D and D&D that was good and wholesome.... and blatantly throws it out the window in favor of charts and modifiers.

I'll take my simple chart of d6 difficulty scales any day Very Happy
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If they can't be botheredto read the rules and learn them (both D6 and D20) then of course they are going to say that a system is broken.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every system has it's flaws. Even D6, because no system can be perfect. D6 is one of the best ones I've seen because of it's simplicity. Although in the case of bashing the new D20 system, it would be hard to not jump on that bandwagon. Sorry, but it's true.

One of the easiest gripe for any D20 game line could easily be feats. The whole idea of feats, as presented, becomes less about customizing a character with feats and more about buying them. I mean, you might as well pay the GM $20 and just make your own feat. Each book prints more and more feats, some books making old ones obsolete because of the "one-up" factor of some of the books. If you don't keep up with all the books, therby having all the feats, you character won't be on the same playing field as another PC who's player buys all the books and has them available to make his character.

Another could be that to make a really good character you have to work out the details (feats being a big one) all the way to the target level you expect the character to reach. You really have to think about when you take which feat and how that leads to the larger goal.

Or the fact that now multiclassing is a true burden instead of a character opportunity.

Last one could be that the whole system is geared towards tactical combat and not role-playing. The rules for combat and the feats that effect them make it difficult to run combat rounds quickly or easily. And the game now slants towards it.

I really don't want to get into a debate over systems, I really like D20 for D&D. Some of the stuff is definatly a step forward, but I'm not really sure if overall it isn't one really big step backwards. My point is really that every system has faults and that the people who see them are usually those who don't read the rules and those who really know them. But D20 isn't the only one with system faults.

I don't know what tone you intended for your post, but it comes across as if your talking down to Lord Aramus, telling him he must not know the system if he sees faults.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm not coming through clearly, which is one reason I rarely post in the Forums proper.

All I'm saying is, If you don't know the ins and outs of a system, any system it may very well appear broken.

I have played both D20 and D6 Star Wars, and I much prefere D6, mainly because I know the sytem better, but also because I didn't think the D20 had the right feel. To me it was cumbersome, but that may be from the fact I didn't know the system too well.

I hope I cleared myself up. Even a little. Confused

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand where your coming from, but the previous poster may very well have a great deal of experience with D20. I was only trying to demenstrate that D20 does have flaws, problems, and issues; but not to pick on it that ever system does. (Although I do think D20's issues are more frequent and more dramatic than most other popular systems.) I didn't think you really meant to come off as telling the poster they must not know they system if they think it's flawed. If you didn't mean it, then I was mearly pointing out how it could be taken; if you did mean it then I was siding with him that D20 does have issues, as every system has it's issues. D6 for example can be over simplistic to a fault at times. Athough I would much rather the system be a little too simplistic than the system be bogged down with hundreds of complex rules to do something simple.

I figure you you weren't trying to imply he obviously doesn't know the rules if they see the system as broken, and just let you know how it might be taken - as a friendly FYI, not as a put down. (Happy forum.......think Happpppppy thoughts. F it, where's the prozac!)

Just Kidding......................this isn't a happy forum. Could someone open the child-proof bottle for me?
That's improbable?
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know D20 very well... and when the authors who wrote the books cannot stop arguing with each other, and contradict what they have written in both the book, the FAQ to explain the book, and the errata to correct the book, something is wrong.

D20 is convoluted, it CANNOT be understood properly because it was never made with any thought about sensible rules in mind, at any point. In the end it is all contradictory suggestions and you are better off playing something more concrete, or making something up.

Driving a landspeeder at night, no lights. Same thing just to go forward, does he have landspeeder skill? If something comes up, the darkness increases the difficulty of everything sight based by two dice. I run a Star Wars game without a single book or Table in front of me, just a handful of dice. It is all I need, the rest is easily commited to memory for me.
to finance my 'vette!
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The designers admited their own system was broken. (Not in words, but actions.) No one, I mean no one, releaes a revision to a game design in less than a year that supercedes and replaces the old information and books unless the system was broken. And many would argue they still didn't fix the problems, just some of the bugs.
That's improbable?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: