The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lazing targets
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Lazing targets Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Lazing targets Reply with quote

When you use one of those devices to "Laze" a target for incoming missiles or bombs, would it be missile weapon, blaster or sensors for the skill to use?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think you could modify a blaster to do it and use that skill, but as they are these days, I'd actually make it a Gunnery roll.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Lazing targets Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
When you use one of those devices to "Laze" a target for incoming missiles or bombs, would it be missile weapon, blaster or sensors for the skill to use?

Well, the only reference in the RAW is the TIE/fc which carries a targeting laser to increase the FC of another starfighter or a capital ship. Since it uses a sensor in Focus mode, the pilot rolls Sensors to stay on target. In this case, if the spotter is using a designator attached to the weapon, then I would say the weapon skill would be appropriate. If, however, he is using a designation unit separate and distinct from his weapon scope, I think Sensors would be appropriate.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Lazing targets Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Well, the only reference in the RAW is the TIE/fc which carries a targeting laser to increase the FC of another starfighter or a capital ship. Since it uses a sensor in Focus mode, the pilot rolls Sensors to stay on target. In this case, if the spotter is using a designator attached to the weapon, then I would say the weapon skill would be appropriate. If, however, he is using a designation unit separate and distinct from his weapon scope, I think Sensors would be appropriate.

I see where you guys are coming from, but a laser designator is neither a sensor, nor operated with remotely the same skill set. Acquiring a laser lock that someone else was designating would be a sensor roll, because you're actually using an information gathering device. A laser designator just has to be pointed at the right target the same way a blaster would.

thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: laser designator Reply with quote

the skill used would be based upon what kind of designator it is.

for a couple of different real world references i present 2 different ones.
the following is a rifle style designator

http://boards.420chan.org/nra/src/1310607758423.jpg

the following is a tripod mounted designator

http://www.armybase.us/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Lightweight-Laser-Designator-Rangefinder-LLDR.JPG

the rifle style one i believe would use either blaster or firearms skills. the second i would say uses the vehicle blasters skill to maintain a target lock but uses the sensors skill to acquire the target.

the following pictures show that the larger designator would use a weapons skill to maintain a target lock but requires the sensors skill to acquire the target efficiently

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/6-30/f6300114.gif

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/AN-TVQ-2%20_DFST9201655_JPG.jpg

Wikipedia entry for laser designators

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_designator

missile weapons skill seems more suited to using weapons like these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket-propelled_grenade
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FGM-148_Javelin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT-13_Metis-M
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9M133_Kornet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MILAN

all in all looking at everything, id say that in star wars the technology would exist that would allow one to be small enough to be mounted under the barrel of a blaster which would just be using the appropriate blaster skill/blaster specialization.

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lazing targets Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I see where you guys are coming from, but a laser designator is neither a sensor, nor operated with remotely the same skill set. Acquiring a laser lock that someone else was designating would be a sensor roll, because you're actually using an information gathering device. A laser designator just has to be pointed at the right target the same way a blaster would.

Well, what other skill does it fit under? It may be a simple "point the designator at the target and turn on the laser" approach, but that is, in essence, a miniature active sensor emitter. I'd probably make it Very Easy Difficulty for such a simple task, but it would still be a Sensors roll.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazing targets Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:

Well, what other skill does it fit under? It may be a simple "point the designator at the target and turn on the laser" approach, but that is, in essence, a miniature active sensor emitter.

We do already have skills for pointing a laser at something and turning it on in this game (Blaster, Vehicle Blasters, Gunnery.) I can see how a laser designator could be considered (half of?) an active sensor system, but in my book, sensors is for interpreting data that comes back, not just pointing it in the right direction.

jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say the person who is benefiting from the designator needs to use sensors to find the "laze", but the act of lazing itself should be a firing skill of some sort.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting..

A while back i asked about what benefits "Lazing" a target would give..
THough at this time i have not refound the thread... give me a little.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it... had it posted on the Holonet, not here..

http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=437700
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazing targets Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:

You're on the right track here. I'd say no skill is required unless the target knows you're lazing him, then I'd make it so that the target must roll initiative against the spotter's initiative with bonuses or penalties to either roll depending on the situation (scale differences, for example). Other wise, you just look through some optics and point the laser at the target. A 2-year old could do it.

For what it's worth, LIDAR works a lot like this. Even on a rapidly moving target (a speeding vehicle going 100 mph, for example), you just point. There is no "shoot" part, which WOULD be the hard part. It's one of those things that is almost impossible to mess up.

If you want to require a roll for drama's sake, I'd say just require the character to paint a very specific part of an object as the target (for example, if Luke had the benefit of laser designation when shooting the death star, the designator could have needed some kind of roll, here). In this case, a sensors roll might be appropriate to determine the right heat signature or the location of a crucial corner stone/support pillar etc.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because i am using something like this in an upcoming adventure, i figured i would resurrect this thread to show what i am doing..

The one doing the lazing of the target must be using a MTDU (missile target designator unit), and he uses his Sensor skill as if it was a blaster skill, while the MTDU is considered a blaster rifle for designating targets (for ranging purposes).
The one lazing the target needs to keep his 'beam' on the target for the entire time the missiles are in the air, and for this mission i have wrote up,
Missile target designator unit (uses sensor skill as if a “Blaster rifle” to laze a target for incoming missiles. Must hold on target while missiles are in the air).

For the incoming missiles, i made it Time to target of 1 round for short range shots, 2 rounds for medium and 3 rounds for long.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd just keep it under Blasters, unless the designator is some sort of advanced sensor module; if so, then make it a pure Sensors roll. I included rules for Lock-On in my advanced starfighter combat concept, and also mentioned target designating for guided bombs and such. You may find some ideas there...

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of target are we talking about?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's say a medium repulsor tank has been outfitted with some lazer guided missiles, and wants to shoot at grounded starships. Lazing those ships could make it easier for it to get off long range shots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: