The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dueling Sabers Feedback & Discussion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Dueling Sabers Feedback & Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
True. Still, the other side of it is that if things are streamlined too much, the system bears no resemblance to the action it is supposed to duplicate. IMO, that's exactly what happened with lightsaber combat in the RAW.

That is the perrenial game designers dilemma - figuring out how much complexity and detail to sacrfice for ease of play, without going too far.

As far as multiple PCs go, I suggest doing what they do in the films, and cutting away to the other group from time to time. Run a couple of rounds with each group. If you time it right, you can even build suspense that way.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
As far as multiple PCs go, I suggest doing what they do in the films, and cutting away to the other group from time to time. Run a couple of rounds with each group. If you time it right, you can even build suspense that way.

Exactly what I was thinking.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
[Exactly what I was thinking.

Cool! I always wanted to get that to work.
(waves hand) These aren't the droids you're looking for.

I think that in order to get good duels, the GM will need to give the other PCs something else to do to keep them busy (and out of the way). Just be sure to make it important. Players are fine with split groups if they are all doing things, and those things are all important. It's when players have to wait around, or are forced into supporting character roles where problems start, and they whine like Anakin.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To paraphrase a friend of mine, "The difference between a puppy and a roleplayer is that eventually the puppy will stop whining."

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as I was cleaning up some redundant files from previous attempts to make lightsaber dueling rules, I came across a couple possible optional rules that might be of interest. The first is pretty complete, while the second is mostly just a vague concept at this point, but here they are:

1). At the beginning of every round, both sides may choose to apply a modifier to their speed and strength, similar to the Fast / Balanced / Strong form options found in the Jedi Knight 2 video game. In essence, a Jedi may shift up to 2D into either his Lightsaber skill or his Damage, so long as an equal penalty is applied against the one he doesn't choose. For example, a Jedi could choose to apply a +2D bonus to his Lightsaber skill, but the cost would be a mirrored -2D penalty to Damage for that round. In combat, a Jedi would use this by combining fast moves to set up an opponent with an Off-Balanced result or some other penalty, then switch to power moves in the next round in an attempt to inflict major damage in the next round.

2). This is purely theoretical, but I'm considering allowing Jedi who have skill dice in a Form to have a better understanding of how to counter that Form (in the form of either dice bonuses to the Jedi or penalties to his opponent).

Thoughts?

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
To paraphrase a friend of mine, "The difference between a puppy and a roleplayer is that eventually the puppy will stop whining."
While that is one difference, at least all the roleplayers I know realize the floor is for stacking up game materials and can find their own way to the toilet.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
While that is one difference, at least all the roleplayers I know realize the floor is for stacking up game materials and can find their own way to the toilet.

Yet more proof that you and I play with entirely different groups of players Wink

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewwww!!! Shocked
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Ewwww!!! :shock:

It's never quite that bad, but there is the one guy who, when you tell him the bathroom is the second door on the left, goes to the second door on the right (the linen closet) and has to come back so that the instructions can be repeated with hand motions.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know in the films lightsaber combat also involves a lot of movement. It makes sense realistically, because most formalized fighting styles involve movement to gain a positioning advantage over one's opponent, and to enhance one's own motions. It also makes sense cinematically, because two characters in motion allow the fight to transition from one location to another. Yet WEG is very vague on how this applies in combat.

Here's some of my random thoughts:

1). In any combat round, a character who rolls melee combat may also make a Cautious Move (1/2 Speed). He may choose the direction of the Move unless he is the subject of a Force Back or Off-Balance result, in which case, the direction of the Move is chosen by his opponent.

2). The character may choose to make a larger Move, but suffers a -1D MAP for Cruising Speed and a -2D MAP for High Speed. A character can not make an All-Out Move and a Combat roll in the same round.

3). The movement options for characters in Melee Combat would be relatively linear (Forward, Backward or Side-Step). There could also be advanced moves whereby a character could use a pass technique such as a slide or a force jump to land behind his opponent. I don't see either move presenting a dice bonus to either combatant, but it could be well used as a clearing maneuver to take one's-self out of a dangerous position.

4). I'm also thinking that there could also be terrain modifiers for things like fighting on stairs or while balancing on a pipe over a river of molten lava...

This is pretty much just random musings, but the idea is there. I'd appreciate some input...

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often in RPGs in general we have treated characters who have been engaged in melee as pinned and unable to freely move. Typically, for Star Wars when we do use battleboards, maps, or miniatures (which is not all the time) we tend to follow that custom. But what you are proposing sounds more similar to the movies and frankly a more mobile combat sounds interesting. It's one reason I wanted a push back option was to create some tactical motion in combat.

If you like Forms then the abilty to move should be affected by the Form e.g. Ataru seems more mobile - in a jumpy, bouncy, flippy, twisty sort of way - than the other forms. Having been watching a lot of Clone Wars TV show lately that is also how Asoka seems to fight - which is why I thought she was an Ataru practitioner despite what is described as her Shien backhand.

I've also been thinking in the last couple of days that some sort of Stunting-like option or ability to change the type of contest would fit what we see in the movies and TV show. That would explain how Jango Fett and Cad Bane are able to get away or get the upper hand vs. Jedi. They use some other ability - jet pack, jet boots, wrist rockets, etc. to switch the contest from a straight up fight to something where they have the edge. That also seemed to match a fight between Asoka and Grievous where Asoka seemed to use her jumping, ducking, and bouncing off walls abilty to avoid Grievous once it became clear that she couldn't beat him lightsaber to lightsabers.

No clue yet how to implement something like this without adding annoying complexity and exceptions to an elegant system.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
But what you are proposing sounds more similar to the movies and frankly a more mobile combat sounds interesting. It's one reason I wanted a push back option was to create some tactical motion in combat.

That's what I was thinking, that the Push Back would be the equivalent of a character making a Cautious Move, and an Off-Balance result would be a more forceful version of the same.

Quote:
If you like Forms then the abilty to move should be affected by the Form e.g. Ataru seems more mobile - in a jumpy, bouncy, flippy, twisty sort of way - than the other forms.

My version of Ataru allows the adept to add his Form dice to his Running and Jumping skills, so that's covered on my end. Most of the other Forms seem less mobile, so making Form IV the only one with a bonus to Movement seems to work. Since most sword fighting techniques include footwork, I was thinking of basing the Cautious Movement on the Lightsaber roll instead of Running or Jumping. But again, this is all random musings at this point.

Quote:
Having been watching a lot of Clone Wars TV show lately that is also how Asoka seems to fight - which is why I thought she was an Ataru practitioner despite what is described as her Shien backhand.

It's actually both. There is some variation depending on the source, but apparently Shien is both part of and separate from the core Seven Forms. In essence, it is a template that may be applied to the more holistic combat style of the Form itself. In essence, Form IV emphasizes constant movement, while Shien trains the Jedi to wield his saber in an unorthodox fashion (most commonly with a reversed grip). By the time of Season 3, Ahsoka has also become a Jar'kai adept, wielding two sabers at once, so in combat, she is a Form IV adept, but she combines Form IV with Shien (reversed grip) and Jar'kai (dual sabers) all at once.

Quote:
I've also been thinking in the last couple of days that some sort of Stunting-like option or ability to change the type of contest would fit what we see in the movies and TV show. That would explain how Jango Fett and Cad Bane are able to get away or get the upper hand vs. Jedi. They use some other ability - jet pack, jet boots, wrist rockets, etc. to switch the contest from a straight up fight to something where they have the edge.

I agree, and I was thinking something similar. It does seem that those select few who manage to go toe to toe with Jedi and get out alive are the ones who use every advantage possible, and it seems to boil down into two separate points:

Plan A: Use some form of augmented propulsion to get out of melee range with the Jedi, then engage him with a ranged weapon (ideally, one he can't parry back at you).

Plan B: If forced to fight a Jedi in melee range, use every dirty trick you can think of to distract him long enough so that you can resort back to Plan A.

A well played battle between a Jedi character and a non-FS bounty hunter like Fett or Cad Bane will be enough to drive the players insane with frustration as he stays at range and refuses to fight the Jedi "fairly".

Quote:
That also seemed to match a fight between Asoka and Grievous where Asoka seemed to use her jumping, ducking, and bouncing off walls abilty to avoid Grievous once it became clear that she couldn't beat him lightsaber to lightsabers.

No clue yet how to implement something like this without adding annoying complexity and exceptions to an elegant system.

True. But then, this is just the initial planning stages, so we can discuss options to our heart's content. A stunt maneuver may be just what's needed, in that a character can perform some spectacular move (either Force augmented or utilizing some form of neat tech) to either charge an opponent or to evade him and end up somewhere outside his range. It's a common theme in all the films (Luke uses it against Vader in ESB and in ROTJ).

EDIT: Maybe it'd be some version of a full dodge, but that allows things like jet pack operation to be used as reaction skills...

EDIT 2: And if you like the Clone Wars as an example, look at how many battles end inconclusively because one side or the other pulled off something spectacular and managed to get to their escape ship before the other side could catch up. A "stunt" rule could set the basis for repeat encounters between the characters and minor and major villains.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
A "stunt" rule could set the basis for repeat encounters between the characters and minor and major villains.
Yep. That's part of what I am looking for. Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
A "stunt" rule could set the basis for repeat encounters between the characters and minor and major villains.
Yep. That's part of what I am looking for. :)

On the surface, that part seems pretty straightforward. Maybe on, say, a Forced Back or Off-Balance result, the character can declare a simple full-round Move for the next round and move out of range, either ending the battle or catching their breath.

EDIT: If the character in question is out-matched in a battle (such as Ahsoka vs. Grievous), they might have to spend some CPs to get the Forced Back / Off-Balance result, but that's better than dying...

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
If the character in question is out-matched in a battle (such as Ahsoka vs. Grievous), they might have to spend some CPs to get the Forced Back / Off-Balance result, but that's better than dying...

The difficulty for the outmatched character is that the opponent can also spend CPs. Thus without lucky vs. unlucky rolls there may be little likelihood that the inferior can even temporarily turn the table on their opponent. But I like the idea that if you can temporarily get a push back result you could then run away better than allowing a character to take a full move to run away before their opponent can strike just because the first character won the initiative for that round.

One thing I have been mentally tossing around is using the wild die (sound familiar? Wink ). Let's say Asoka is fighting Grievous. If Asoka gets a six (and Grievous does not) then Asoka can choose to use a different skill in the confrontation, e.g. choosing jumping to avoid getting hit. In that case for that round the two would roll say, opposed jumping rolls instead of lightsaber rolls. That would allow a chance for Asoka to switch to a skill where she might be equal or superior to Grievous thus allowing her to get a positive result to push back Grievous and allow Asoka to escape. Assuming the two are still engaged in melee next round, their confrontation would return to rolling lightsaber vs. lightsaber.

The opportunity to switch to another skill is random (based on the wild die) but the result is based on the character's relative skills. This mechanic could also be used to allow for persuasion or intimidation vs. willpower rolls or switching to using a force push, telekinesis, or other force power in the middle of a duel.

It's just a thought so far. I haven't mentally worked out all the ramifications yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: