The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dueling Sabers Feedback & Discussion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Dueling Sabers Feedback & Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
But I like the idea that if you can temporarily get a push back result you could then run away better than allowing a character to take a full move to run away before their opponent can strike just because the first character won the initiative for that round.

Me too. After all, there are all kinds of reasons that a character winning a one-on-one battle might still want to disengage and abandon the fight

Quote:
One thing I have been mentally tossing around is using the wild die (sound familiar? :wink: ). Let's say Asoka is fighting Grievous. If Asoka gets a six (and Grievous does not) then Asoka can choose to use a different skill in the confrontation, e.g. choosing jumping to avoid getting hit. In that case for that round the two would roll say, opposed jumping rolls instead of lightsaber rolls. That would allow a chance for Asoka to switch to a skill where she might be equal or superior to Grievous thus allowing her to get a positive result to push back Grievous and allow Asoka to escape. Assuming the two are still engaged in melee next round, their confrontation would return to rolling lightsaber vs. lightsaber.

That works. And as an added bonus, lets say Ahsoka rolls a Wild 6 and Grievous rolls a Wild 1, Ahsoka would have the option of disengaging entirely (i.e. only the character with the Wild 6 would have the option of substituting a stunt for a combat roll).

Quote:
The opportunity to switch to another skill is random (based on the wild die) but the result is based on the character's relative skills. This mechanic could also be used to allow for persuasion or intimidation vs. willpower rolls or switching to using a force push, telekinesis, or other force power in the middle of a duel.

It's just a thought so far. I haven't mentally worked out all the ramifications yet.

Think away. I like the direction this is going...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually thinking of using the combat wild die not the intiative wild die for this.

That way Asoka has to choose between using her lightsaber roll where she knows she already has a six on the wild die or instead switching to a different skill - say jumping where she thinks she may be able to outroll Grievous.

One problem with this is that if you roll all the dice together, what to do with the nonwild dice. It would be simplest to first roll only the wild die, but I don't like two part rolls. Two part dice rolling will slow down all the normal rolls.

Probably I'd just go rolling all the dice and then if Asoka gets a six, she could choose to use jumping add in the six for the wild die and rerolling the non-wild dice for the jumping skill (plus the wild die which is actually the second roll of the wild die). But that brings up another problem/feature if all the dice are rolled together, then the player decides whether or not to switch skills the player can look at her dice total for lightsaber and if the non-wild dice rolled well stick with lightsaber and if the non-wild dice were below average switch to a "stunt" skill.

As I said, it needs more thought.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought just occurred to me. The original Seven Forms have been expanded to make Mace Windu's Vaapad a more advanced and evolved version of "regular" Form VII, so what if it wasn't the only Form to receive this treatment? What if other masters have taken their own mastery of a given Form and evolved it above and beyond the norm for that Form? A key example (to me) would be Form IV. Obi-wan and Qui-gon have been stated to be Form IV adepts, and used the technique against Maul in E1, but their combat style, while fluid and incorporating the occasional jump and the like, bears little or no resemblance to Yoda's whirling-turbocharged-lightsaber-dervish routine. What if Yoda is not just far advanced skill-wise, but is actually practicing an evolved style of Form IV, one which takes the concepts of Form IV and pushes them to extremes. After all, if Mace Windu, who is human or at least near-human, can take Form VII and evolve it to create a new style during a human lifespan, surely Yoda, with his 900 years, would be able to do something similar.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two thoughts regarding the need and desirability of additional specialized forms.

1) Qui-Gonn and Obi-wan don't look like they are using Form IV to me. Sure they jump once or twice, but I don't see that the use of a jump makes that Form IV any more than parrying a blaster require the use of Form III. Watching the TV show, Ahsoka Tano seems to jump around way more than Qui-Gonn or Obi ever do, yet she is listed as form V user - apparently due to her reverse grip.

2) Why not?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Qui-Gonn and Obi-wan don't look like they are using Form IV to me. Sure they jump once or twice, but I don't see that the use of a jump makes that Form IV any more than parrying a blaster require the use of Form III.

They do use Form IV, but its much more subtle than Yoda's. One of the aspects of Form IV mentioned in Fightsaber states that one of the movement components of Form IV was 360 degree turns (in additions to flips and somersaults). While you don't see a lot of the later two (apart from the occasional Force-assisted leap), the former is very much present in the fighting styles of both Qui-gon and Ob-wan, lending their fighting style a much more fluid appearance than, say, the inexorable advancing style used by Anakin in ROTS.

Quote:
Watching the TV show, Ahsoka Tano seems to jump around way more than Qui-Gonn or Obi ever do, yet she is listed as form V user - apparently due to her reverse grip.

I can only assume that the idiot who made that decision had heard of the Seven Forms, but hadn't actually read anything about them. What is your source for that? Ahsoka is as good an example of Form IV as anyone apart from Yoda, and I recall several previous statements in official material that stated wielding a dual lightsaber was a variant style of Form IV, not Form V.

Quote:
2) Why not?

Exactly. I recall another Seven Forms variant that proposed something similar, where a Jedi master sought to emulate the trees of his homeworld in making an advanced version of Form III. His Form basically sacrificed any movement capability in exchange for a major boost in defense. He would stay fixed to one point, and would either parry attacks or sway to one side or the other to avoid them. Very tree-like. And also much more extreme than Form III.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Bren wrote:
Qui-Gonn and Obi-wan don't look like they are using Form IV to me.

They do use Form IV...
I know some sources say that. It just doesn't look like it to me. It seems simpler to assume the sources messed this up in the same way Ahsoka is listed as a Shien user rather than trying to rationalize away their lack of Yoda-like moves.

Quote:
Quote:
Watching the TV show, Ahsoka Tano seems to jump around way more than Qui-Gonn or Obi ever do, yet she is listed as form V user - apparently due to her reverse grip.

I can only assume that the idiot who made that decision had heard of the Seven Forms, but hadn't actually read anything about them. What is your source for that?
I've seen it mentioned several places. The Wookieepedia article on Ahsoka lists: In addition to being skilled in Shien, Tano also received training in Ataru and was learning Djem So under her Master. Skywalker also gave her training in the early levels of Niman as an exercise, as well as engaging in numerous hours of quarterstaff training to prepare her for opponents wielding saberstaffs. This article mentions her being skilled in Form V.

It may just be a pet peeve Sad, but I don't find it useful, cool, or interesting to hear that a Padawan is trained in Forms IV, V-Shien, V-Djem So, and VI-Niman/Jar'Kai. That sounds like a kitchen sink approach with so many specializations that it is difficult to see how she had time to become very good at any of those Forms.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The approach that I took was that you had the Seven Forms, each with is own emphasis, and then you had the variations or techniques which incorporated some unique weapon (light-staff, dual lightsabers, or a standard lightsaber with an unorthodox grip) into the existing Form. Under my system, Ahsoka would be a Form IV adept who is also trained in the Shien and Jar-Kai variations of Form IV.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

They do use Form IV...
I know some sources say that. It just doesn't look like it to me. It seems simpler to assume the sources messed this up in the same way Ahsoka is listed as a Shien user rather than trying to rationalize away their lack of Yoda-like moves.

Actually, it was in the original Fightsaber article, the one written by a professional fencer, where Qui-gon and Obi-wan were labelled as Form IV adepts. Considering this is a person who actually has practical knowledge of the subject, I went with the assumption that he saw something that I didn't see because I lacked the appropriate training, then I went looking for what he saw.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I went with the assumption that he saw something that I didn't see because I lacked the appropriate training...
I guess I was less generous in my assumptions. Wink
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
I went with the assumption that he saw something that I didn't see because I lacked the appropriate training...
I guess I was less generous in my assumptions. Wink

How strange, that you and I would have a difference of opinion... LOL

So what would be some possibilities for extreme modifications of other Forms?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent post revived my interest in this subject, and I had a new idea. I want to incorporate some movement rules into my Seven Forms concept, with each of the Seven Forms having its own Movement constraints (sort of like the Stamina modifier). The basic idea is something like this:

Form I = Cautious
Form II = High
Form III = Cautious
Form IV = All-Out (Cautious minimum)
Form V = Cautious
Form VI = Cruising
Form VII = High

When in combat, the Form adept can make up to the listed Move without incurring a MAP (alternately, the listed Move could be a hard cap, and they can't move any faster than the listed Move in the same round as the lightsaber combat roll). Form IV, with its emphasis on mobility, would actually be required to make a minimum Move while in combat.

I have some additional ideas that I haven't quite formalized enough to put down in writing, but I'd like some commentary first. Thoughts?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm going to assume that either no one disagrees with my idea or no one read it. My next question would be how to substitute in a jump or a roll for a running move action, and how much distance it would cover. Would a single roll or somersault count as, say, a Cautious Move (5 meters or less)? Would a Force assisted jump count as a normal Move by trading meters covered on a 1-to-1 basis?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I have been coming back around to an idea that could add an exciting random aspect to this system. Bren, you mentioned having Stunt moves, such as acrobatic disengagements and the like. What if the opportunity to perform those was based on Wild Dice? The way I'm thinking is to only allow combatants to perform things like Force Push, Force Lightning, acrobatic disengagements, charge attacks and the like would be to limit them to moments when an opening occurs in combat (as determined by the Wild Dice).

The short version is that, if a character rolls a Wild Dice success (or his opponent rolls a Wild Dice fail), he gets the opportunity to make a Stunt move. He can make an attack with the Force, or can perform some sort of acrobatic move, but his opponent would still have an opportunity to counter the action (details to be decided). In the event of the character rolling a Wild Dice success and his opponent rolling a failure, the character would get the same Stunt move opportunity, but his opponent would not have the chance to counter it. (If both sides roll Wild Dice success or failure, they cancel each other out, and combat continues as normal).

Liquidsabre
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this, I like it a lot crmcneil. I think this would be a great way to add spontaneity and interesting non-attack effects into melee combat.
I'm not sure if I'd implement this for both a wild die '6' roll, since it already explodes though, perhaps as an option to forgo the additional roll to add?

In theme, I like the idea of attacking your opponent and they roll a '1' on their wild die as part of a defense roll, momentarily lowering their guard, and you'd get a free 'stunt' as a result.

I'd like to see combat 'stunts' implemented in this way existing primarily as free and unopposed (to keep things moving) non-attacks such as maneuvering foes back onto a narrow bridge, tripping them, throwing sand in their eyes, or kicking them off balance. Honestly, these sort of things are so fluid and an instantaneous part of a whirling melee it seems a great way to implement these.

The more rare event where you roll a '6' and they roll a '1' on the wild dice sounds good too, not sure what I'd allow for this. Perhaps on a defensive roll you get a free stunt, since normally you only get this when your foe rolls a '1' on a defensive roll or you attack with a '6' wild die and forgo the bonus roll). If you get this when attacking you can make a free unopposed attack.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Ok, I'm going to assume that either no one disagrees with my idea or no one read it. My next question would be how to substitute in a jump or a roll for a running move action, and how much distance it would cover. Would a single roll or somersault count as, say, a Cautious Move (5 meters or less)? Would a Force assisted jump count as a normal Move by trading meters covered on a 1-to-1 basis?

I was thinking 1m per 3 points rolled on the jump roll seems about right. Or 1m per D in Climbing/Jumping if you want a fixed value.

Or, depedening on how you want the form to affect jumping, you could roll Jumping, but have the bonus from the Form be fixed (1m per D in Control or Alter?).

I was tiunkering with a dueling system, and condiered stuff like allowing Jumping to add to the dueling score (+1 per D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: