The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Two Lightsabers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Two Lightsabers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Two Lightsabers Reply with quote

We've all seen the Tales of the Jedi sourcebook. We've all seen the "Battle Master" Jedi template's picture of the dude with the 2 crossed sabers. We've seen Darth Maul's double-bladed saber and Anakin fighting Count Dooku with two lightsabers.

So, what is the "official" WEG take on 2 sabers?

I'll tell you what I do. For non-jedi, no way in heck! For Jedi, they must attune to each saber, keep lightsaber combat up, but if they can do all of that, then it makes no difference how many blades the jedi uses (I hear that Anakin will use 3 blades in Episode III [one via telekinesis I believe]).

So, to restate and slightly modify the above question, what are your (collective you) interpretations of the "official" WEG take on 2 sabers? Question
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm kind of fond of the single saber, much more traditional... and no less effective, at least not in my opinion.
As for 2 sabers at once "officially" it hadn't ever been done in a movie up to this point, so there is no "official" WEG stance on it, at least none that I've come across.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Crell, in AOTC we do see young Anakin wield two sabers when he fights the Count at the end, though it did not last very long (Dooku cut one of the sabers). So it is canon now.
Unless of course you where referring to the fact that WEG had nothing within canon while they still had the right to produce SW (AOTC was not out at the time), so they did not bother to address the issue. Though it was still mentioned officially in a few books and comics (Exar Kun for example).
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely why I was posing my question. I think that connection with The Force should exist with whatever item or items the Jedi has attuned themselves to.

But, will you cut off one of your own limbs?

When would a Jedi have enough Lightsaber Combat skill to attempt such a task? (I was going to say 'feat' but that's the other game, isn't it?)
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in our game we have a “Twin Lightsabre Combat” Force power to compensate for that.
We found it on the net and seemed to be kosher with us.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Rahl Jynco
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire, where did you happen to find the Twin lightsaber combat power? That might help shed some light on possible ways to deal with Dual sabers.

I deal with temptation by giving in...
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty I’m not rightly sure, but if you give me a bit I will type it out for you guys to peruse.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right guys, here it is…

Double Lightsabre Combat
(Or Twin Lighsabre Comabt, or whatever you want to call it, it’s not official so have fun with it)
Control Difficulty: Difficult
Sense Difficulty: Moderate
Required powers: Lightsaber Combat, Combat sense
This power may be kept “up.”
Effect: This power allows a Jedi to wield two Lightsaber’s simultaneously. A character wielding the two Lightsabre’s that successfully activates the power may attack and parry once each with no multiple action penalties (One strike and one parry totals one action not two), although other penalties still apply, including penalty for keep the power “up.” If a character makes no attack in a round and chooses only to parry, he receives a +2D bonus to parry and receives +2D in attempts to deflect blaster bolts. Otherwise, the power grants all bonuses given by Lightsaber Combat.

Feel free to alter this anyway you see fit, it’s not like its official.
Heck, we are even tossing the idea around that to have this Force Power that the PC will need to have a specialization in their Lightsabre skill (double Lightsabre).
Rahl Jynco
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:

A character wielding the two Lightsabre’s that successfully activates the power may attack and parry once each with no multiple action penalties (One strike and one parry totals one action not two), although other penalties still apply, including penalty for keep the power “up.”

So does that mean you can have a simotanious (no clue how to spell) strike, both sabers as one action? Or just one attack and one parry equals one action?

I deal with temptation by giving in...
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we are using it like one action equals one attack and one parry, or two parries.
For simultaneous two simultaneous attacks (but they would give up their free parry) they would have to have the double Lightsabre specialization of the Ligtsabre skill. But that’s just our house rule.

But this is just something we found off the net, so adjust it to how you see fit.
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:
Well, we are using it like one action equals one attack and one parry, or two parries.
For simultaneous two simultaneous attacks (but they would give up their free parry) they would have to have the double Lightsabre specialization of the Ligtsabre skill. But that’s just our house rule.

But this is just something we found off the net, so adjust it to how you see fit.

The above post appears to have been the 5000th post here on "The Rancor Pit" forums. w-0-0-t! Good job!

Last edited by Scrawprin on Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, I have finally accomplished something on this board. Wink Laughing
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would change the 1 attack + 1 parry and the 2 parries to simply 2 lightsaber related actions per round before multiple action penalties. So if you chose to attack with both sabers once, you wouldn't be penalized, past the useage of the power to activate it. Also, does that mean that you get 2 actions per D penalty when using twin sabers? Or is it just the first 2 actions?

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It functions as if you where ambidextrous so to speak.
So say if you wanted to parry twice, that would only count as one action, and would incur no D penalties for actually doing two things, or for using your off hand.

I could see switching it too two sabre actions, we just wanted to keep the "ginsu" factor down a tad.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea An interesting idea, but I think I'm going to disagree with the whole force power thing. After all, anybody can wield a lightsaber.

It seems if a player wants to wield two knives or two pistols at once, his character should practice the two knives or two pistols skill (under dexterity). If a player wants to wield two lightsabers, his character should practice the two lightsabers skill (also under dexterity).

Now just to make it more difficult, I, as director, would say his two weapon skill cannot exceed his one weapon skill. All the rules would remain the same, but I'd give him two (instead of one) actions before beginning the multiple action penalties.

Mine is a simpler game mechanic and doesn't require a special rule that applies here and nowhere else - I use the same mechanic for ambidexerity. I also require a character to give up one attribute die for ambidexterity (or any other special ability). It also requires the character to spend more character points and time practicing to achieve this flashy style.

Having watched the movie, it didn't seem to me Anakin gained any advantage against Count Dooku by using this skill, so I suspect the unofficial "found somewhere on the net" idea may be over rating it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: