The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Observer-Class Hyperspace Reconnaissance Cruiser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Observer-Class Hyperspace Reconnaissance Cruiser Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The era and history are listed in the capsule. As far as getting "pinged", it is theoretically possible; IIRC, Starlog listed a tachyon based sensor for long range detection on X-Wings. I would probably not allow it right away. Use it as an excuse to give your characters a hard time for a bit, then have them discover it by accident, or in some unexpected fashion, like a badly modulated sensor system picking up the tachyon pings at some random moment.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on a discussion in a different topic, I'm going to edit the description of the Hyperspace Fluxnet Projector so that it is based on S-Thread technology instead of tachyon streams. The primary reason for the change is that S-Threads, being a fictional concept, can have their behavior dictated by the plot rather than the limitations of real world physics.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, garhkal, this changes the answer to your question. Since the Fluxnet is now based off known technology, conceivably any ship with a HSI or a hyper comm unit is capable of detecting the S-Thread hits. However, that is a far cry from being able to identify them for what they are.

Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ran across this today while looking for stuff about the Pulsemass mines: Imperial Hyperspace Security Net.

The description actually states that non-mass HoloNet transceivers are used to project "cross-channeled radiation, which registered a hyperspace disturbance whenever a ship passed through it. The transceivers were able to detect these disturbances at cosmically short distances and signal the gravity well projectors to drop incoming ships out of hyperspace.".
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I like my version better. I've always been rather iffy about any tech proposed by Dark Horse comics.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: