The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

if the shoe fits......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> if the shoe fits...... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: if the shoe fits...... Reply with quote

I was reading the Movie Trilogy Source Book, the Imperial snow troopers had in their equipment terrain grip boot, that gave them +1D to their climbing skill. I also thought it would be reasonable to lower terrain difficulty by one difficulty level while running. Has anyone used terrain grip boots in their games.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but your idea seems valid.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: if the shoe fits...... Reply with quote

griff wrote:
I also thought it would be reasonable to lower terrain difficulty by one difficulty level while running.
Good idea, but only in slippery terrain. On carpeting, it would probably be -1D at best. Ever try and run with crampons?

Complete Starship Construction System
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: if the shoe fits...... Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
griff wrote:
I also thought it would be reasonable to lower terrain difficulty by one difficulty level while running.
Good idea, but only in slippery terrain. On carpeting, it would probably be -1D at best. Ever try and run with crampons?

Rgr that !

Forgive all spelling errors.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the +1D already gives a bonus so another bonus? Seems redundant to me. You might get rid of the bonus and just lower the terrain difficulty for Difficult, Very Difficult and Heroic.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is talking about replacing the climbing bonus with the slippery surface bonus, which works better because not all Very Difficult or Heroic terrain is slippery.

griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually thinking that the boot give you a +1D skill bonus to climbing, but the difficulty to the climb remains the same. While wearing heavy boots might not increase the running skill but it would help give more traction to the ground. Walking on carpet in cowboy boots is almost walking on ice, while waking on carpet wearing USMC issue boots is like velcro (Have experience with both). So the boots help increase climbing skill, but the climb will still be a Difficult task. While the running skill receives not bonus, it helps to make a Difficult terrain a Moderate one. Should the terrain modification also apply to normal movement, not just when running?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would think climbing might count as a slippery surface... Wink

Just leave it as slippery surfaces. It covers all the bases, so in any situation where a character might slip, they have the 1D bonus to resist it.

vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took it as an inferrence the intended skill use for trudging through snow is climbing rather than running, because trudging through snow is more strength based than dexterity based.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, keeping your balance on ice is definitely a Dexterity skill.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Trust me, keeping your balance on ice is definitely a Dexterity skill.

I'll second that. I've had to walk through too many ice storms.

But if I were going to allow the boots to help with terrain, I'd probably give the wearer the +1D that they provide for climbing. I can't see the boots being better for crossing rough terrain than for assisting in climbing.

I'd probably take a few points off Move rate, though. With rough, or slippery terrain things that help to provide sure footing usually require you to slow down a little.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be found under the base difficulty for various terrain difficulties as found under the different speed levels. I don't have my book handy, but I do recall that each speed level mentions something to that effect.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All speed does is increase/decrease the terrain's movement check. BUt that is only if you run. For foot movement, more so than ship/vehicle there is no real set check to go against when going slow over harder to move across terrain.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our campaigns we have a houserule that the difficulties listed as for normal speed. Cautious speed reduces the difficulty a level, high speed ups the difficulty a level, and all out ups it two levels.

We've been doing it that way for a few years now, and it really makes the vehicle combats more interesting, and is easy to implement.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes a lot of sense, atgxtg. I'm going to consider adding that to our House Rules.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: