The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jedi Powers to start with
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Jedi Powers to start with Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Jedi Powers to start with Reply with quote

Okay, finally I've a PC who wants to be a Jedi. Since a jedi learns 3 force powers when he gets his first dice in the force ability, I have to choose 9 for sense, control and alter. But I have no idea what powers I can give him. You know force lightning seems a bit overpowered for a padawan.
Can someone give me an advice with what powers I should give the padawan?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it 9 each attribute, or 9 between the 3?
Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 3 for each, says my rulebook Wink
Or maybe one less if the power uses 2 attributes.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...My recommendations:

Control:
-Concentration
-Absorb/Dissipate Energy
-Detoxify Poison

Sense:
-Life Sense
-Receptive Telepathy
-Life Detection

...saving those 2 Alter slots. As Life Sense & Life Detection are Prerequisite powers for a number of powers that come later, having them already allows the would-be Jedi to focus on improving his prowess without having to backtrack.

..My 2 creds worth anyway!
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2R&E page 141 wrote:
Learning Powers. When a character first learns a Force skill, the teacher also teaches one Force power pertaining to that skill.
A character may be taught a new power each time a Force skill is improved one pip.
A character may be taught a Force power without improving a Force skill, but the character must spend five Character Points.
A power that uses two skill - control and sense - counts as two powers when being taught powers.

So according to the RAW, a beginning character with control 1D, sense 1D, and alter 1D starts with three force powers, one for each skill, not nine powers.

On the other hand a character with control 2D, sense 2D, and alter 1D starts with four control powers (1 for the first die and 3 for the next 3 pips), four sense powers, and one alter power.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. A starting PC would have 1 power per INITIAL D, so if he has all 3 force skills at 1d, he gets 3 powers. Then adds 1 more per pip each had.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, the point could be made that, if a Jedi is allowed one new power per pip, and if a character's starting 1D is worth 3 pips, then a character with 1D each in Control, Sense and Alter (9 pips total) could have 9 powers to start off...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concentration, life detection, telekinesis are my recommendations.

You may want to scour the internet for more alter-only powers and adapt them to your game, though TK is the best starting alter power.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
However, the point could be made that...
Sure and I have no particular issue if a GM wants to allow that. But I thought it was useful to clarify what the rules actually say.

To get back Yasriia's question - it depends on what type of Jedi you are creating, i.e. with or without lightsaber, what era (Jedi in the Clone Wars don't have to worry about the main society hunting them if they display Jedi powers), and whether or not the Jedi has more than 1D in powers. With only a single D you can only count on success with very easy powers. For anything else you will need to spend CPs to succeed.

Concentration is nearly always very useful.

If you only have a single D then pick some powers that work very easily e.g.
Control: Control Pain, Remain Concious, Accelerate Healing, and maybe Detoxify poison.
Sense: Life sense, magnify senses, post cognition, receptive telepathy
Alter: Telekinesis (you won't be able to do much, but it so classically Jedi-ish)

If you have more powers to burn and have a lightsaber I'd add lightsaber combat - just realize according to the RAW it is worthless if you are at 1D control and sense.

Control and Sense - Projective telepathy and if you want to be a healer type Jedi - Accelerate another's healing, Control another's disease, control anohter's pain, return another to conciousness

Affect mind is cool, but at 1D you are better off waiting since you won't be able to do anything without burning around 6 CPs (2 per skill).
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention all the prereqs involved with some of those powers.

Just go for the base powers:

Concentration or control pain are good, but I'd take concentration first.

Life detection for your sense power. Period.

Telekinesis for your alter power (cause it's the only pure alter power there is for a good guy).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
However, the point could be made that, if a Jedi is allowed one new power per pip, and if a character's starting 1D is worth 3 pips, then a character with 1D each in Control, Sense and Alter (9 pips total) could have 9 powers to start off...

Not really, since as quoted above, your initial FULL Dice of learning each skill gives only 1 power. Its improvements TO those skills that give you one power per PIP, but iirc that is ONLY when improving them under a teacher.

Quote:
Telekinesis for your alter power (cause it's the only pure alter power there is for a good guy).

It's always bugged me that TK is really the only non-dsp worthy (well unles you toss things at someone) power under Alter.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd like to do it 3 per starting die, which I don't necessarily have any issue with. My suggestions would be:

Control:
Concentration
Control Pain
Accelerate Healing*

Sense:
Life Detection
Life Sense
Danger Sense*

Force Push (If you're using converted powers.)

If the Jedi character is starting out with a lightsaber, then I would give them Lightsaber Combat. Which to me takes up 1 control, and 1 sense power.

*(If character does not start with a lightsaber.)

This covers the basics for a decent amount of prerequisite powers. If you decide to go with the 1 power per attribute. Pick the first from the 3.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Not really, since as quoted above, your initial FULL Dice of learning each skill gives only 1 power.

Again, I merely said that "the argument could be made".

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not seeing how 'the argument could be made'... it was quoted in black and white.. not much leway.
Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thanks to all replys.

My rulebook (I've seen somewhere a 2nd edition) tell me that you get 3 powers for the first dice you get (page165). So when you advance from 0d to 1d (like a starting char) you get 3 powers. And the 3 force attributes equals 9 powers total.

The background of the jedi is:
He was a youngling back in the clonewars. Being a swokes swokes he has surived order 66 with his regenerative abilities and with the help of some jedimaster. Since jedis a hunted the pc lived a normal life on his homeplanet without bothering about the force. After the destruction of Alderaan he packed his things and went on to get lightsaberparts (to repair and boost his old broken traininglightsaber). And on his journey he will meet the rest of the well developed and experienced group some weeks prior to jabbas death.

To sum it up: I have no problem to give the jedi 3 powers per force attribute since he could be trained by yoda and the rest of the group has already some experience.

In the end I think that the jedi will start with:
Concentration, accelerate healing
Life detection/sense
Lightsabercombat
Telekinesis, force push

Thanks to schnarre, bren and raven redstar, I now have a roadmap of force powers when the pc will find a jedimaster/holocron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: