The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Extended Combat Examples
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Extended Combat Examples Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Extended Combat Examples Reply with quote

As title, is there any floating about for R&E?

Nothing fancy, two sides and a few folk on either side - I could do with an aid for my new players who aren't used to the concept of "sides", and I'm planning to run the rules pretty much as is (the horror!).
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen any that are greater than the bits included in the rules. Most people use some sort of house rules for something, rather than using everything "as written" in the rules. So finding a throughly detailed combat that is directly by the rules in every way might be difficult to find. You might have to do it yourself (unless you're not sure yourself...that's why you're asking).
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure I have got my head around it but have just been teaching my wife Mini Six and been reading a lot of D6 so I am trying not to mix riles myself, but also as a game aid as I said.

I might get on that then as every game could do with a good non-core combat example.
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure I have got my head around it but have just been teaching my wife Mini Six and been reading a lot of D6 so I am trying not to mix riles myself, but also as a game aid as I said.

I might get on that then as every game could do with a good non-core combat example.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you that don't know, Cowboy Hat is posting from inside a canyon. Please excuse his echo. Laughing

Complete Starship Construction System
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Extended Combat Examples Reply with quote

Cowboy Hat wrote:
As title, is there any floating about for R&E?

Nothing fancy, two sides and a few folk on either side - I could do with an aid for my new players who aren't used to the concept of "sides", and I'm planning to run the rules pretty much as is (the horror!).

I can write one up for you real quick if you want..

PC side.. 5 characters
Jake a human smuggler (str 3d+1, blaster 7d+1, dodge 6d+2)
Roko his wookie first mate (str 5d, bowcaster 6d, brawl and brawl parry 7d, dodge 5d)
gilvax and old republic scout (str 2d+2, firearms spec sniper rifle 8d, dodge 5d)
his buddy zalir the wrronian technician (str 2d+1, dodge 6d, no blaster or brawl, but 6d first aid)
and rounding it out is a rookie jedi wanna be (control 3d, sense 3d+2, alter 2d, lightsaber skill 6d and 2d+2 str).

Against them are 4 imperial storm trooper scouts (2d str +2 armor, 5d blaster pistol, 4d+2 dodge)
2 stormtroopers (veterans, 3d str +2 armor, 7d+1 blaster 6d+2 dodge)
and an officer (2d+2 str, 7d blaster pistol, 6d dodge, 4d command.

Neither are surprised by coming across one another and the range is around 60 yards (long for pistols, short for rifles, medium iirc for bowcaster)..

Round 1, the PC's highest Perception rolls init which nets the party 12, while the officer rolls for the Imps. They luck out and get 14.

All pc's bar the technician call 2 actions (one shot, 1 dodge)
The imps go Off - command scouts to shoot wookie and dodge (2 actions), scouts all shoot and dodge (2 actions)
both stormies dodge towards cover (full dodge).

Officer rolls command (4 people with ave skill of 5d gives an easy command roll.. he makes it).. So now we take the scouts at 5d and add 2d from being commanded (7d total) giving them 23.. The wookie dodges (5d) giving him a 17. so he is hit.
Pistols do 4d damage +2d from being combined for 6d - damage total 21.
Wookie rolls his 5d str and gets 18. So he is stunned.

Onto the pc's.. the wookie is stunned (-1d) and his bowcaster shot is his 2nd action (-1d). So he shoots his bowcaster back at a scout at 4d, and gets 14. The scout rolls his dodge (2nd action) for 3d+2 and gets only a 12 and is hit. The wookie rolls damage (4d)-14 against 2d+2 for the scout and he gets 15 (lucky b@st@rd*).. so takes no damage.
Next up is the smuggler, who shoots the officer. he called 2 actions but didn't need his dodge, so is taking 2 shots. 7d+1 -1d for 2 actions gives him 6d+1, so his 2 shots come in at 23 and 26.
The officer rolls his dodge (6d -1d for making the command) and gets 17. so both hits.
First up damage is 15 (soaked with 3d which nets the officer a stun), second is 22 (the officer soaks with only 9, which is 13 over, mortally wounded. He drops.

Then comes the scout, who shoots a stormtrooper. As his rifle is short range (Easy diff, 8) that adds to the troopers full dodge of (4d, 16) giving him 24 total.
The scout only rolls a 21 so misses.

Then comes the jedi who realizes he has no one close enough, so calmly takes his 2 actions to raise lightsaber combat. His Control roll (3d -1d for doing 2 actions), nets him only an 8, not enough, so he spends 2 cp to get the remaining 7 he needs. His alter roll (3d+2 -1d) nets him a 12, sufficient to get LS combat up.

The technician seeing no one in trouble forfeits his action as he needs no med packs..

End of round.
Officer - down and out
Scouts all up
troopers all up and now in cover (50%, +4d to target them)

Pcs are all hearty except the wookie who has 1 stun.

2nd round is up and with the officer out, the imps lose the initiative.
Pcs call their actions (scout 1 shot, wookie 1 shot, smuggler 2 shots, tech 1 action to dodge if needed and the jedi 2 actions to move up).
The scouts all call a shot. The troopers only take 1 action. Shoot!.

The pc's go first..
Jedi moves up 10 meters
Tech stands there for now
Smuggler takes first shot (goes for same scout), 7d+1 -1d gives him 6d+1 to shoot. Rolls 30.. great hit. Scout trooper uses his shot to dodge. (no reaction). Scout trooper rolls 5d dodge (since his shot has not yet gone he gets to roll full skill for it. but only gets a 13 so is hit. Smuggler rolls his 4d damage (pistol) and gets 13. Trooper rolls his 2d+2 and gets 8 so takes a wound.
Wookie shoots trooper 1 (medium range shot, 11-15 diff so we call it even up at 13 +4d for cover getting 16 more making a 29 target number) and rolls his bowcaster skill (6d -1d stun) and gets 19. This is insufficient to hit him.
Scout takes his sniper rifle shot at the same trooper, and his roll of 31 IS a hit. His 4d+2 damage rolls against the 3d soak (13 versus 14) but does not penetrate the armor.

Next up is the imperials. Trooper 1 returns fire at the wookie (7d+2 blaster against 5d -1d for reaction dodge -1d for stun).. The wookie is most definitely hit (13 dodge), and his soak 5d against the rifle damage of 5d) and sucks hind tit by only getting a 12 versus 21 damage so drops to incap (OUCH!).
Trooper 2 takes a shot at the jedi now he recognizes what he is. He shoots (7d+2) the jedi takes a third action as a reactionary parry (LS skill 6d, +3d+2 control -2d for 3rd action gives him 7d+2 to parry). The trooper rolls 35, while the jedi rolls 30. The GM offers him the chance to spend 3 of his remaing CP on the parry but he declines. The damage (5d) against the jedi's 2d+2 soak is 23 versus 13 (10 over).. he now realizes he should have taken the GM's offer, but uses all 3 CP to make the soak a 24 (no damage).. He is now out of CP.
Scout 2-4 shoots the wookie. (5d to hit against the wookie's dodge already rolled of 13) all hit. Scout 2 and 4 their damage is insufficient to damage the wookie (4d pistol versus 5d str)..
BUT scout 3 lucks out on his damage getting yet another wound on the haggered wookie.
Scout 4 shoots the jedi as well.. but his shot is insufficient to make it past the jedi's parry score.

End of round. Wookie at 2 wounds. Stun now wears off.
1 scout wounded, 3 up.
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

much appreciated!

I was going to post asking for some cheat sheets, but that's great.

And sorry for the double posts, no idea why my tablet is doing that - will keep posts to a minimum until computer is fixed.
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player feedback to example:

there's no point in declaring an extra action for a dodge because until you use it, a reactionary dodge doesn't penalise you (as in the example of the officer using a dodge after his command action, yet the troopers declare a dodge to be used after their shooting and lose dice to both actions).

Upon using your reactionary dodge, all penalties to that (and perhaps subsequent actions?) are penalised as if you had declared it all along.

"This means to declare a dodge rather that use a reactionary dodge penalizes all actions before the dodge unnecessarily."

That seems to be the case as my player pointed out and your example seems to suggest this also. Is there an easy fix?
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a rulebook to hand (I'm at work - although plainly not working Wink ) but I thought the first action had no penalty, but past that you lost 1 die per action?
For example declared 3 actions: 1st action no penalty, sesond action is at -1D, third action is at -2D.

It is totally possible (and likely) that I'm wrong though.
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:
I don't have a rulebook to hand (I'm at work - although plainly not working Wink ) but I thought the first action had no penalty, but past that you lost 1 die per action?
For example declared 3 actions: 1st action no penalty, sesond action is at -1D, third action is at -2D.

It is totally possible (and likely) that I'm wrong though.

as RAW

You lose a dice from all actions after the first

So two actions means -1 to both actions (first and second)
three means -2 to all actions (first, second and third)

However if you declare, say one action only at the start of a round- to shoot, it costs you no penalty as you are taking only one action.

Later, in the same round you get shot at you can reactionary dodge at -1 (as now two actions) as you can reactionary dodge at any time.

Your first action incurred no penalty and so it wouldn't have been worth declaring two actions at the start of the round (one to shoot, one to dodge) if the only thing you wanted to do with your second action was dodge as that would have cost you a -1D to both actions.

as far as I am aware...

...although I guess if I didn't take a -1D to the first action, irrespective of how many actions one takes and what penalty they have, then that might be the quick fix I am after. -Although I don't know how that would effect the game mechanically overall.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops. My mis-reading of the rule there!

At least that means that I can tell you that the likely effect of not applying the -1D to the first action is that everyone will declare at least 2 actions every single combat round.
Well, they have in my game.

New Year will see me correcting my rules error!
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might end up doing away with reaction skills altogether and going with declared actions only...:S
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might end up doing away with reaction skills altogether and going with declared actions only...:S
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen passed around on this board and others, that ONLY using 'undeclared' reactionary dodges/parries incurs another 1d penalty cumulative - so if you shot twice (2 actions called but no defensives) you would be at -1d for both shots.. NOW get shot at and have to make a melee parry, you add -1d(3rd action)-1d(penalty) for the dodge, then -1d(4th action)-2d(penalty cumulative for the parry... So it works out in the long under that to actually plan to do your dodges..
faus7rav3n
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering about this myself. I break my combats down into Rounds and Phases.

Given: Wookie_1 and TK421 are in a ranged combat. Wookie_1 declares 2 Actions (2 Shots/-1D). TK421 declares 2 Actions (1 Shot/1 Dodge/-1D)

Round 1
Phase 1
Wookie_1 - takes his first action with a Bowcaster MAP'd -1D firing at TK421
TK421 - uses his Dodge as a reaction to avoid the shot with -1D

Phase 2
TK421 - returns fire at Wookie_1 with -1D penalty
Wookie_1 - decides to take an additional action to react suffering a -2D penalty to actions, he pulls off the Dodge but barely.
*** The reaction and all subsequent actions are now reduced by 2D
Wookie_1 - fires again at the new -2D penalty and hits his target

Round 2

Is this the way it's supposed to follow or does the reaction count at the -1D penalty with subsequent actions falling to -2D?

It seems that players can get an extra dice if they declare an extra reaction after their first action, meaning their first action would be at the original penalty and the later pools at the new penalty. Still has it's consequences.

If you 'extra reaction' before your first action you destroy your later dice pools. If you 'extra reaction' later in the round you risk eating a blaster bolt. Smart players, as was said before, would plan to dodge in their declarations, make their Dodge action sacrificing the original action and still maintain actions for a lower cost than an 'extra reaction'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: