The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starting XP for Replacement Characters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Starting XP for Replacement Characters Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why bother have death be a poss "if they are so attached" to their characters//./
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Then why bother have death be a poss "if they are so attached" to their characters//./

Having no real element of danger in a game is almost as bad as having too much danger in a game. I've found that the best games are a balance of adventure, good storytelling, and a little danger.
southpaw
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it good to kill a character every once and a while; not hunt them down, but put the group in such mortal danger that death is very possible. I also let the players know; scares the pants off them Twisted Evil it just helps maintain a sense of mild terror that keeps the energy levels up in a game.

but back on topic: I've decided to go with equal the current XP for heroic death and half the current XP for characters leaving voluntarily or dying by stupid player actions. I've also set another limit of +1 pip per 10 XP for skill advancement. This is all on top of the baseline 7D.

Thanks for all your opinions!

Bewdy
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

southpaw wrote:
...but back on topic: I've decided to go with equal the current XP for heroic death and half the current XP for characters leaving voluntarily or dying by stupid player actions. I've also set another limit of +1 pip per 10 XP for skill advancement.

southpaw wrote:
Curious to know what other GMs do about this, when characters get killed or leave the story. My gut feeling is to allow them to start with equal XP as existing characters if they die heroically, but have them start with no bonus XP if they leave or just want to play something new.

Thoughts?
I know not of this XP of which you continually speak. Of the Dark Side I fear it is. Very Happy
southpaw
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems you have 7D in Pedant (internet) Smile and in 1st Ed they're called Skill Points anyhoo.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

southpaw wrote:
it seems you have 7D in Pedant (internet) Smile and in 1st Ed they're called Skill Points anyhoo.
Ha! I scoff at a measley 7D. Laughing

And I didn't say what you should call them, but I might pedantically point out that in none of the WEG iterations of Star Wars were they ever called XP. Wink
southpaw
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually it comes from one of my players, who every single session we get together sit down, and without fail starts the night with "So do we get XP?"

my bad.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

southpaw wrote:
actually it comes from one of my players, who every single session we get together sit down, and without fail starts the night with "So do we get XP?"

my bad.

I think one of my players still has a few XPs on his character sheet awarded by me. The only problem he cant do anything with them in SW D6...
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
southpaw wrote:

my bad.

I think one of my players still has a few XPs on his character sheet awarded by me. The only problem he cant do anything with them in SW D6...
Now my cruel side wants to combine these two ideas and see southpaw award non-functional XP to his player.

XP_Player: So do we get XP?
soutpaw: Certainly, you can each have 100 XP.
XP_Player: Wow! Great, I'm going to increase my character's ...
soutpaw: But you don't get any Character/Skill Points, so you can't actually increase anything on your character sheet except your XP total.
Twisted Evil
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
southpaw wrote:

my bad.

If he can earn 38 of them, he can trade them in for a brand new speeder.

Complete Starship Construction System
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew what you meant, but I personally try to avoid D&D terms like XP and DM when talking about WEG Star Wars or D6 in general. Star Wars/D6 is far superior to any incarnation of D&D, and I don't like how D&D terms often seem to be default RPG terms just because D&D was the first major game and probably still current bestselling RPG. I would so correct that player every time he said "XP" if he were in my group.

However I decided I had to give up using "GC" (gamemaster character) on forums and settle with "NPC" because of my dislexic tendancy to type "CG" that I couldn't seem to stop doing. But verbally I still say "GC".
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know several players in our sparks group that still mix up CP/XP..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
However I decided I had to give up using "GC" (gamemaster character) on forums and settle with "NPC" because of my dislexic tendancy to type "CG" that I couldn't seem to stop doing. But verbally I still say "GC".
I don't get the appeal of GC. You still have PCs don't you? NPCs are just the Cs that aren't PCs. Referring to them as NPCs just seems like reasonable acronyming not a D&D thing to me.

garhkal wrote:
I know several players in our sparks group that still mix up CP/XP..
For them, I recommend my previous evil suggestion to award non-functional XPs.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Whill wrote:
I don't get the appeal of GC. You still have PCs don't you? NPCs are just the Cs that aren't PCs. Referring to them as NPCs just seems like reasonable acronyming not a D&D thing to me.

I try to call them GMCs (Game Master Characters) to differentiate the system.
southpaw
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't reeeeeaaallly understand the need to differentiate from D&D. Sure d6 is better (that's why we're all on this site, right?) but your choice of acronyms isn't what's going to make a game system better or worse. RPGs have their own jargon, like any hobby, and D&D by dint of being played for a good 10 years or more prior to 1987 gets to have dibs on naming common features of most games. It's a very us and them mentality, one that I don't believe is necessary.

What makes D6 Star Wars great is its tone, its beautiful simplicity, the ease of play (cept for initiative, that's always been a headache) and outstanding info on GMing in the Chapters on Running Adventures and Designing Adventures in the 1st Ed. Some of the best writing I've ever found in any RPG, and I STILL reccommend GMs of any game and experience to read those Chapters. You can't find better advice put more succinctly anywhere.

...and in my email this morning, in response to giving bonus XP for an excellent idea I just received...:

"XP, whats that? Its been sooo long since we got any …"

" I remember getting XP once, but it was such a long time ago I don't quite remember what you do with it."

"I think you can only spend it at selected stockists … does that sound right ?!?"

...which brings me to my next question, how often to you give XP/SP/CP out? my campaign rolls onwards, but where one adventure ends and another begins is becoming murkier and murkier....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: