The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Telekinesis vs Grenade
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Telekinesis vs Grenade Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacRauri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Telekinesis vs Grenade Reply with quote

I was wondering how GMs have ruled in their groups for Jedis who want to bat away grenade attacks with the force and other such feats. What sort of difficulty levels have you used, MAPs etc.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are as many ways to approach this as there are GMs around here. But I'll share our house rule anyway:

For slow moving targets, we add +5 (A dropped item), items that are a little faster are +10 (A thrown item), fast items are +15 (A hovervehicle at highway speeds), or very fast at +20 (A racing swoop at full throttle or anything faster than that.)
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, RAW states that you can't use TK as a reaction, though when we were doing the conversion guides for the d20 books, there was a "Grenade Defense" Force Power. It had rules and iirc a chart concerning how to deflect the grenade. You can find the book here:

http://www.4shared.com/document/uFekWqqk/Star_Wars_D6_-_Conversion_-_Je.html

The only thing is that it stated that you could also use it against missile weapons, a la the Jedi Knight series, but in retrospect I think that was a mistake. If you kept that logic, you could conceivably use it against any high-velocity object, allowing Jedi to stop bullets.
MacRauri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you saying that I can dodge bullets? ....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked about this a while back..

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2012&highlight=grenades
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacRauri wrote:

to paraphase

No, MacRauri. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, 7D + you won't have to.

XD
MacRauri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboy Hat wrote:
MacRauri wrote:

to paraphase

No, MacRauri. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, 7D + you won't have to.

XD

7D+ sounds about right from what I remember about playing Jedi. I'm thinking that in my current campaign the sole force user in the group has access to one teacher who can get her to 5D/5D/4D or thereabouts before she has to start paying double CPs.

I know there have been numerous threads about balancing groups of Jedi and non-Jedi, or just Jedi in general. I particularly like Bren's where the players know enough about the system to show the restraint necessary to keep their characters playable. Since my group is new I have to be more restrictive.

Not sure I'll let them have access to the Dodge Grenade power. But with only a 4D alter it actually seems fine...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i have seen some jedi pcs with 3-4d in alter not worry about getting shot.. they just TK the power packs out of the enemies blaster!
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacRauri wrote:

Well, by the RAW you can, so yes!
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Of course, RAW states that you can't use TK as a reaction, though when we were doing the conversion guides for the d20 books, there was a "Grenade Defense" Force Power. It had rules and iirc a chart concerning how to deflect the grenade. You can find the book here:

http://www.4shared.com/document/uFekWqqk/Star_Wars_D6_-_Conversion_-_Je.html

The only thing is that it stated that you could also use it against missile weapons, a la the Jedi Knight series, but in retrospect I think that was a mistake. If you kept that logic, you could conceivably use it against any high-velocity object, allowing Jedi to stop bullets.

One of the worst names for a force power. Something based on 'deflection' would be better IMO. If you want to have a TK reaction power to begin with, I cant see the ability to stop bullets as a major no-no. I mean, if you can dodge them....
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just seems a bit awkward to me. With dodging, you're trying to get out of the line of fire. What we're talking about here is quite a bit more difficult when you're picking out a speeding object, having fine tune control over said object, and swatting it out of the air. In essence, one may ask what is the difference between getting out of the way of an incoming golf ball and catching it in your hand.

In short, it seems to me that the modifiers would just be way off the chart for this to even be plausible in a Star Wars game.

Last edited by cheshire on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
MacRauri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
MacRauri wrote:

Well, by the RAW you can, so yes!

touche!
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little ad hoc guide on difficulties, work creative use of Force powers, ie. whenever a character uses them in a manner which is not strictly and simply defined in their description, treat the difficulty as for untrained skill use.

That is, conjure a difficulty, and raise it a level, then add modifiers. If the Player works with you to develop a specific Force power for this manner of using Telekinesis, eg. new power: Force Deflection, sense/alter, diff: easy/mod + 5 per kg as described in Telekinesis.

So a Player using this power "untrained" ie. he came up with the idea and you haven't ruled the details for this new variation on Telekinesis yet, what you do is simply give yourself an abstract idea of what the base difficulty should be and raise it to more than you think you should.
Tell him to use character points if he doesn't have much die, tell him this kind of RP will benefit his character.

Then later when you've ruled on the power description, award it to the PC at his next pip in the required skills and give him a CP+FP bonus for inventing a new Force power.

But I think you'll find though this type of discussion, if you play your role of skeptical GM there is a Force power which effectively replicates the intention of the Jedi in developing a Force power to deflect bullets.
Force Shields adds armour die, an effective telekinetic shield and PCs whom try to develop a power with this intention are by example, effectively researching this power without realising.

But the swatting grenades one, that is different. Separate it from deflecting bullets is my advice, and work on a telekinetic Force Bubble power that can deflect thrown missiles, mundane fires and gases.
Call it something like Force Shape, and allow users to shape and sculpt soft materials like rubber, gases/plasma and to deflect relatively slow moving missiles with some directional control.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
It just seems a bit awkward to me. With dodging, you're trying to get out of the line of fire. What we're talking about here is quite a bit more difficult when you're picking out a speeding object, having fine tune control over said object, and swatting it out of the air. In essence, one may ask what is the difference between getting out of the way of an incoming golf ball and catching it in your hand.

In short, it seems to me that the modifiers would just be way off the chart for this to even be plausible in a Star Wars game.

Yeah, it is a bit silly. But isnt one of the requirements of TK to see the object. Should be the same with a Deflection power. Kind of hard to see a bullet heh... A grenade or a thrown object on the other hand. In the end its up the GM then I assume.. For example arrows at short range if you dont see them being fired.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Yeah, it is a bit silly. But isnt one of the requirements of TK to see the object.
Yes. The power does say "The target must be in sight of the Jedi."

However, doesn't Obi-Wan call Qui-Gonn's lightsaber (which is out of his line-of-sight) before he leaps out of the pit in TPM?

Quote:
For example arrows at short range if you dont see them being fired.
Probably more efficient to use telekinesis to break the bow string rather than deflecting close range arrows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: