The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

George Lucas Blames 'Star Wars' Critics for Killing Series
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> George Lucas Blames 'Star Wars' Critics for Killing Series Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: George Lucas Blames 'Star Wars' Critics for Killing Series Reply with quote

Apparently George is a lot more sensitive than some of us thought.
Why would I make any more when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?
Caliginous
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/movies/star-wars-lucas-quits-blockbusters-over-allblack-movie-snub-20120119-1q7js.html

He says he's giving up blockbusters, thank Jebus.

Shame he didn't make that decision about 15 years ago, before unleashing the three worst films in human history.
Bigkrieg
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha amen!
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't blame him, really. It seems like whatever he does is chastised by his loudest detractors. He goes and makes 3 of the greatest movies of all time, and then 3 movies that don't meet the fan's expectations, and that, for some reason, makes him a villain.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the prequels were quite the only thing that made him a villian. Perhaps constantly tweaking his original 3 movies in the saga also had a contribution to the villian status.

"I wanted to make it more like my original vision."

Oh, so it was completely out of Lucas' power to have Greedo shoot at Han the FIRST time it was filmed, so it had to be added in later. Rolling Eyes

And it was also COMPLETELY out of Lucas' power to have Darth Vader yell "NOOO!" right before he threw the Emperor into the shaft.

Of course it was completely out of his power to do those things in his original vision, so it only made sense for him to go back and change his originals with those additions (and others).

Some of the changes were tolerable. Some made it look better. Some were pathetic and completely unecessary. I'd rather have NONE of the changes than have a couple of good changes mixed in with some of the most asinine changes in filming history.

Sure the prequels didn't stack up to what I had hoped they'd be. He disappointed me. I didn't necessarily declare him a villian for that. When he starts changing the original movies and ONLY making those available with the THX sound and cleaned up image quality...THAT is what classifies him as a villian in my book. A greedy, money grubbing villian that has absolutely NO interest in retaining ANY of the fans that carried on the Star Wars enthusiasm for years when he wasn't doing anything and that continued to feed his pocketbook.

Now the BluRays have more changes, you STILL can't get the original movies as they were back when they were released, but with THX sound quality cleaned up image quality.
Caliginous
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in his book "Money Into Light", British director John Boorman says that when an artist unleashes his or her work unto the public, they are giving up their ownership of it and ownership is passing onto a greater collective. That means that when I read a book I love, or see I film I love, I have a sense of ownership of it because it resonates so strongly with me, and has a special personal meaning to me. That is how I, and many of you I am guessing, would see the relationship to the original SW trilogy. But Lucas simply doesn't get that.

If he wants to muck around with his films, fine, he has the privileged to do that, but the original films that I feel I own, that I grew up with, that I love - well, those aren't any good apparently, and *this* over here, this is muuuch better. And no-one should see those originals anymore, because, don't you see, their no good, and this one, version 26, is actually the best one. Maybe.

The prequels are a whole other beast, debated about as much as one thing can be debated, but from my own personal standpoint there is anot a single element of any of those three films that I like. I loathe absolutely every single second of screen time. Lucas for some reason became incapable of having two actors have a conversation. That was just far too difficult. You only have to listen to Irvin Kershner's audio commentary on the 2004 DVD release to realize why Empire was such a masterpiece, and that's because Kershner understood actors, he understood dialogue, he understood how to bring elements of humanity, humour, tragedy into this big ridiculous circus....
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't someone link here George Lucas making the greatest defense against himself messing with original movies?

Talking about coloring old classics, and how that even though the copywrite is held by the artists and studios, the public values them highly enough they shouldn't be changed? If not I'll try to find it.

Then again, wasn't a lot of the star wars magic due to him not directing? The studio challenging his ideas and forcing him to adapt? And having a good group of actors with physical objects and not green screens?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliginous wrote:

Shame he didn't make that decision about 15 years ago, before unleashing the three worst films in human history.

Looks like someone has not seen Zardoz...
Azai wrote:

Then again, wasn't a lot of the star wars magic due to him not directing? The studio challenging his ideas and forcing him to adapt? And having a good group of actors with physical objects and not green screens?
Exactly. George Lucas is very good at generating lots of predominantly good ideas, but he is not good at figuring out which of his ideas are good and which are bad. Giving him full creative power over a movie has about the same results as giving a 9 year-old full creative power over the same movie, and for identical reasons. They both want to employ all their ideas.

This "you don't like me; I quit," routine is also 9 year-old-ish. If he wants to quit, that's fine. He's old and rich. Retiring is what old rich folks do. Just don't blame the fans, George. Crustier, wiser artists realize that people do not go to the movies to see your story; they go to the movies to see a good story. If yours isn't good, they'll complain when they leave the theater because they did pay to see it, after all.

On a related subject, I hope he gives in and lets someone else make sequels. Episodes VII, VIII, and IX have a nice ring to them, and I personally think Daniel Craig would make a good Thrawn.

Complete Starship Construction System
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:

On a related subject, I hope he gives in and lets someone else make sequels. Episodes VII, VIII, and IX have a nice ring to them, and I personally think Daniel Craig would make a good Thrawn.

I like it! Thrawn is one of my favorite characters. Good call on Craig. Any other casting ideas?
jmanski

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always heard Malcolm McDowell's voice in my head for Thrawn when reading.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I always heard Malcolm McDowell's voice in my head for Thrawn when reading.
That might make it more attractive to George. He could use Daniel Craig for the part, but then dub over his voice with Malcolm McDowell. Wink
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, Bren. Remember, GL has quit doing any more Star Wars because of the fans! (except for the clone wars cartoon and the upcoming live action TV show, because, ya know....he still needs lots of money) Rolling Eyes
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand he said these things while on a Comedy Central program. Has anyone seen the interview to get the context? He hasn't been entirely unknown to utilize his seldom-seen sense of humor. I've seen some footage of him throwing someone out of his office for saying Mara Jade was the best Star Wars character ever, totally tongue-in-cheek.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George was suppose to do an interview with Oprah tonight and talk about star wars.

I think the own website might have it. I'll take a look (If not my step-mom records most of those shows at my father's house, can catch it there)

EDIT: Yep, here most of it (I believe)
http://www.oprah.com/own-oprahs-next-chapter/George-Lucas-on-Directing-Star-Wars-Video
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I don't think this is tongue-in-cheek. I read another article about this on the NYT website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: