The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Is Jedi Path by Daniel Wallace worth getting?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Is Jedi Path by Daniel Wallace worth getting?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Is Jedi Path by Daniel Wallace worth getting? Reply with quote

1. Has anybody read or own Jedi Path by Daniel Wallace?
2. Is it consistent with the films?
3. Will it help understand the philosophy and morality of the Jedi?
4. Does it have any useful information from a roleplaying standpoint on Jedi training?
5. Is it worth getting?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you take a look at the sample pages?

It looks like it might be an interesting read. I'm not really sure if it helps with the philosophy & morality. I'm not really sure if the commentary from the various "owners" is really necessary, but who knows?
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was dissuaded from buying it by this Amazon review (listed under the "Vault Edition" reviews, not the regular hardback), among a few others:

Quote:
For those of us who find the "Clone Wars" series to be an atrocity this book is a grim reminder of what Star Wars has become. The packaging and presentation of "The Jedi Path" is fantastic, and it is an honor to display it because of this fact alone. The content, however, leaves much to be desired. The comments in the margins are a little elementary for my tastes. One reviewer stated that the comments capture the characters personalities very well, and I suppose that is the problem. The personalities in the "new" Star Wars are so simplified that these comments do capture them perfectly. The fact that Asokha Tano's words are right along side those of Masters Yoda and Kenobi is a bit off putting to me. When I saw her refer to Anakin as "Sky-guy" in the text I had to put the book down and do something else for a while. Anakin's words, of course, come off as petulant and whiney, and further undermine the "Legend" of Anakin Skywalker that I grew up wanting to see and read about.

I don't regret this purchase at all, but I do wish that "The Jedi Path" was a bit more serious in tone and the margin scrawling had been left out or at least limited.

Another reviewer mentioned that it seemed to have been written for younger children (8-year-olds). This may have been an exaggeration...but I'm not terribly interested in a book written for 10-year-olds, either.

If you end up buying it, please tell us what you think; I'd love to hear that the above assessments were wrong so I can go order it.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Did you take a look at the sample pages?
I had not. The sample pages do look interesting, though the tone (word choices and sentence structure) sound like it is written for younger readers. Not sure about the marginal notes. One book that includes all those notes (Yoda, Dooku, Luke, Anakin, Ahsoka, and someone named Thame) due to each writer sharing the same book for their training seems unlikely. If this is supposed to be a copy from the Archives, then Jocastu Nu really failed to do her job of preservation with this one. Laughing
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Thame is supposed to be Thame Cerulian. You can find his Wiki page here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Thame_Cerulian
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I have heard of him. Thanks for the link.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't either. I just did a Wookieepedia search for "Thame."
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and ordered the book. It's currently out-of-stock so I may not see a copy until sometime in January. Once I have a chance to read it, I'll post some thoughts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: