The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How many Jedi escaped the purge?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> How many Jedi escaped the purge? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: How many Jedi escaped the purge? Reply with quote

I am developing some story on an upcoming campaign, and one question I have is, how many jedi escaped order 66 and the ensuing purge? (If this has already been posted somewhere, can you direct me to it?)

Obiously Yoda and Obi-wan did. My group tends to stick VERY close to canon, so the backstory will have to fit with what Lucas has come up with. Anybody got any info on this one?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link has a list of all the "Known" survivors of Order 66, along with a little information about their known fate. Keep in mind that there were likely been other Jedi or force sensitives who survived as well.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_Jedi_survived_order_66
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helpful link, though not completely accurate e.g. Shaak Ti was not killed by Grievious after surviving Order 66 (since Grievious himself died before Order 66 was issued).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Helpful link, though not completely accurate e.g. Shaak Ti was not killed by Grievious after surviving Order 66 (since Grievious himself died before Order 66 was issued).

Correct. Shaak Ti being killed by Grievous was a deleted scene from E3. If it had been included, she would've died during Anakin and Obi-wan's resuce of Palpatine from the Invisible Hand. Per the Force Unleashed video game, she was devoured by a gargantuan Sarlacc on the planet Feluccia at some point between E3 and E4.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per the link, it would seem there are around 40-50 "known" Jedi who escaped Order 66. I would guess around 200-300 survivors scattered across the galaxy, and that number would be pared down significantly between E3 and E4, by Vader, the Inquisition, and various other forms of Jedi hunters. The rate of decline probably varied based on a variety of factors.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin Wookie, it appears there should be room to accomodate a few additional survivors without too much stretching of canon.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have usually said around a dozen at most escaped.. Any more than that and it would have made a mockery of the fact 'Vader was said to have hunted them all down...
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I have usually said around a dozen at most escaped.. Any more than that and it would have made a mockery of the fact 'Vader was said to have hunted them all down...
I guess that depends on who said that and why.
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:
I guess that depends on who said that and why.

been quoted in e4 I had thought, not to mention that seems to be the most cannon thing there is. In E4, there was supposed to be 2 masters of the Force, Yoda and Obi-Wan. Of course, when the expanded stuff came out, there's this master and that one here and there, but for the most part, it's safe to say that out of 10,000 Jedi that was in the Galaxy, maybe 75 survived Vaders great purge. And in my personal games that roughly the number I run with and use.

Of course, if any Jedi starts training others, that creates a ripple unless it's in a spot that's flooded with the Force (like Coruscant, Felucia, other planets that's surrounded by nothing but a bunch of life forms) and will inevitably attract Vader or one of the Emperor's Hands.

Example: Master and Pupil are out in space, in a random spot with no planets nearby, but them, their ship their on, and nothing else. Master is teaching the pupil the various stuff of the Force. There's no buffer around them, and they will be found in a small amount of time (1 month to 1 1/2 month tops). Same master and student, on a planet surrounded by life forms, practicing the force, will take on average around 9 months depending on how much of the Force the pupil is using and how often they change their routine.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the E4 quote was that Vader helped the Empire hunt down the rest of the Jedi, and that now the Jedi "are all but extinct."

Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="Bren"]Wisconsin Wookie, it appears there should be room to accomodate a few additional survivors without too much stretching of canon.[/quote

]That's what I was looking for.   Thanks!
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course, if any Jedi starts training others, that creates a ripple unless it's in a spot that's flooded with the Force (like Coruscant, Felucia, other planets that's surrounded by nothing but a bunch of life forms) and will inevitably attract Vader or one of the Emperor's Hands.

Example: Master and Pupil are out in space, in a random spot with no planets nearby, but them, their ship their on, and nothing else. Master is teaching the pupil the various stuff of the Force. There's no buffer around them, and they will be found in a small amount of time (1 month to 1 1/2 month tops). Same master and student, on a planet surrounded by life forms, practicing the force, will take on average around 9 months depending on how much of the Force the pupil is using and how often they change their routine.

I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense; and more importantly, gives me a few adventure ideas.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Haven't you learned, yet, that nothing of what USED TO BE in Star Wars is like that anymore garhkal? Rolling Eyes Mandolorians are peaceful, the Jedi Purge only killed some and wasn't really a purge. The Clone Wars was just a single war. You must unlearn all that you have learned. Or just realize that the Star Wars we grew up with doesn't exist anymore.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How many Jedi escaped the purge? Reply with quote

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
...one question I have is, how many jedi escaped order 66 and the ensuing purge?

...Anybody got any info on this one?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Order_66#Known_survivors
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Jedi_Purge#Known_survivors_or_unaccounted_Jedi_as_of_the_end_of_the_Purge.3B_1_BBY

You may find these Wookieepedia links useful. I've read that in the Purge is said to have ended 1 year before the Battle of Yavin.

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
My group tends to stick VERY close to canon, so the backstory will have to fit with what Lucas has come up with.

Those are sometimes two very different things. Without clarifying context, the the term "canon" usually refers to the EU, which Lucas did not come up with. From what I've read, the EU has self-contradicting sources that indicate 100-200 survivors.

So far, Lucas only came up with the 2 obvious survivors you mentioned. Now the films don't explicitly indicate the number so there possibly could be more than 2. I am not aware that Lucas has ever given a number.

Obi-Wan does state the Jedi are "all but exinct" in Ep IV, and Yoda says that when he dies Luke will be the "last of the Jedi" in Ep VI. But how much do they know? They went into hiding after the Great Clone War so it is likely they wouldn't have made contact with many other of the survivors. In the EU, Yoda was wrong and remaining Jedi did pop up after Ep VI.

I think it should be a matter of personal choice. For me, I feel that Ep VI is more a dramatic story if Yoda's statement is true. It was all on Luke's shoulders for him to "pass on what he had learned" for the Jedi Order to survive. But how would Yoda know this? Well, he could sense when Anakin was in terrible pain and when Jedi were dying across the galaxy , so I just grant him this power to know. That works for me.

Anyway, the question of how many Jedi were alive by Ep VI is relevant to the question here because any Jedi that survived Ep VI also had survived Order 66 and the Great Jedi Purge unless they were all later students of Purge survivors. Even if you want to honor what came from Lucas then it is still open for you to decide, so I think the number of Jedi to survive the Purge should be however many you want to survive the Purge!

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
I am developing some story on an upcoming campaign, and one question I have is, how many jedi escaped order 66 and the ensuing purge?

I'd be interest in hearing more about your story and why that number is important anyway. Is it just for an opening crawl type of lead-in out-of-universe narration to your campain for the players? I ask because I don't think any one in-universe character would know just how many Jedi survived the Purge (except possibly Yoda as stated above). I don't think that could possibly be official in-universe knowledge. It's not like the Empire took a galactic census and all the remaining Jedi were counted! The Jedi Order was decimated and and however many few survivors were scattered throughout the galaxy. They had no overall organization or communication network. They were outlaws and fugitives.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
Or just realize that the Star Wars we grew up with doesn't exist anymore.

I still have the Star Wars we grew up with. The Star Wars we grew up with are bonus discs in my DVD trilogy set so I have physical proof it definitely still exists (and I watched my copy of the original version of "Star Wars" with no "Episode IV" a few years ago). The newer Star Wars can easily be ignored if you prefer.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: