The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Need a picture/schematic fo a ship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Need a picture/schematic fo a ship.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Need a picture/schematic fo a ship. Reply with quote

Okay, so my players wanted a ship - something small, and not your usual freighters.

They wanted something no bigger than enough to hold 2 crew, but with a crew quarters and a hyperdrive.

So I came up with a ship off the top of my head that looks kinda like a scaled down Vanguard Gunship.

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/3/3c/VanguardSchematic-Polyhedron161.jpg

But with tilted wings, a single pair of turbo lasers, a two seat cockpit, and a single crew quarters.

Does anyone know of a ship that fits this description or better yet have a schematic of one (perhaps even in the likeness of the format above?)

I would use the above image and modify the floor plan except for the accompanying view that doesn't have the tilted wings, etc etc.

Any Ideas?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need stats?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always get the feeling that WEG and WOTC's most egregious errors on ship design were in the floorplan department, and this ship is no exception. I like the look of it, but the floorplan seems thrown together with no concept of efficiency or realistic space operations. What I'd suggest...

1). A ship this size doesn't need a Main Engineering that takes up that much room. It also doesn't need engine rooms and main engineering that have that much open space around the equipment. Real life engine rooms have just enough room to get in and work on the engine itself, yet these rooms seem like they could double as cargo space.

2). Bad for security and efficient operations to have the ramp open directly into the ship's bridge. Plus, the ship needs an airlock of some kind. Can't really depressurize the bridge to go outside...

3). Poor layout in general. Engines and engine rooms are primary targets in combat, yet for the crew to go from resting (quarters and/or lounge) to combat stations (the bridge), they have to pass through main engineering (from the lounge) or main engineering and the engine room.

4). Excessive crew space. Each crewman on a gunship gets his own quarters? Way too luxurious for a military vessel. IRL, junior crewmen would have shared quarters with bunks (or even be forced to hot bunk if the situation required it), and only the captain would have private quarters. Plus, you have to walk halfway across the ship to use the fresher.

What I would suggest (and which dovetails nicely with your idea for changing up the wings) would be the following:

1). Move all of the ship's habitable spaces (bridge, quarters, lounge, etc.) into the central body, and use the wing portion for the engines and other equipment, with only cramped access spaces for maintenance and repairs. Don't get specific on engine size, just assume they take up a lot more room.

2). Put the crew quarters directly behind the bridge, and include a fresher and a galley of some kind.

3). Have the ship's ramp open somewhere further aft, with its own enclosed space so that it can double as an airlock.

4). Replace the big open space where the ramp used to be with an additional control console for engine control.

This design makes more sense to me because it concentrates the habitable space in one specific area, rather than spreading it all over the ship. It also makes more sense from a ship safety standpoint, as the engine and equipment space can be sealed off from the habitable spaces in an emergency.

Anyways, I'm tired and rambling, but that is what came to mind when I looked at that deckplan...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't need stats, I've already done that.

What I need is a picture to better match the ship I came up with.
I myself can modify the floorplan of the picture above, what my main issue is, is that action shot style picture that goes with it.

I love that lil picture to death but it simply doesn't match what I told my players. Namely because I myself didn't find that combo picture until after our session.

The only image I had was a single version floorplan one.

I suppose I could try to modify the action as well, though it will probably be a bit difficult.

SO, I was hoping that someone knew of a ship shaped similar to the vanguard but smaller - that hopefully had a schematic like above as well - and the features I named. (angled down wings, two seat cockpit, single crew quarters)

If someone doesn't know of one, I suppose I'll have to attempt some photoshop fu.

I standardly make a gift of a ship sheet for my players that includes a schematic picture, and I try to always use the above style when available.

To anyone wondering - this little ship is named "The Tuneup" and is painted purple and yellow. The pilot/owner is a Selonian Female, the copilot is a Patchwork droid that's half power droid, half astromech.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this?

Or this?

(EDIT:)Or... I built one custom.
SketchUp Model

Complete Starship Construction System
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've decided to simply edit the original deckplan for the vanguard and I'll be trying to photoshop the color shot to look a bit more like I described.
Reaper63
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the YT-1760 Fast Courier. This one is mod'd up to be my Character's Manin ride.

The Armament is variable and like all Corellian Ships you can mod this to no end. This specific one has duel fixerd cannons on the bottom weapons mount. (fixed forward and controled by pilot/co-pilot. The top weapons mount has a twin blaster Turret. A gunner seat is mounted below the turret and would fold down to man the turret. Like the Falcon it can also be fired remotely from the Cockpit.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/YT-1760_transport
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice drawings reaper..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper63 wrote:
This is the YT-1760 Fast Courier...
That I have just stolen. Wink Very nice. 8)
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit a little swipe-age myself....
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swiped as well, but one issue I have with this ship: no escape pods. I think it mentions somewhere in Tramp Freighters that all ships legally have to have some kind of escape system, but a lot of floor plans leave them out. I know Frank Bonura invented a basic, one-man escape pod called the PES-550 that could be stored in the cargo bay and egress the ship via a standard airlock, but this ship doesn't even really have a cargo bay...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Reaper63
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad yhou all liked my little ship there. but I can't take credit for anything other then some mods to a preexisting drawing. The Credits to thge real artists are still on the plans.

The real talents can be found here:
http://www.swdesignalliance.com/forum/index.php

Including characters in scale with the ship designs. YOu can see my character and my friend's character in the drawings up there as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: