The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Baudo Class Yacht - Deckplan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Baudo Class Yacht - Deckplan Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Baudo Class Yacht - Deckplan Reply with quote

Okay guys I'm in a quandary - I've found two different deckplans that seem to be on different scales but in fact aren't - not really anyway.

Theres this one that I've become accustomed to -
http://www.bwafer.com/starwars/deckplans/baudodeckplan.gif

And this new one by DarkestSeason on deviantart of a modified version -
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/333/b/c/baudo_class_yacht_by_thedarkestseason-d33w812.jpg

now my problem is this - the modified by DarkestSeason is amazing - but is evidently slightly longer at 36meters yet seems to not have the space of the earlier version designed to carry the 8 passenger allotment of the stock version.

that didn't seem like an issue until I noticed why - the earlier version is missing something that dark included - the engine room.

The earlier version (anyone know who did this?) places passenger suites there instead. Now this wouldn't be too much of an issue if the ship had a maintenance bay on a lower level - but it doesn't by this set of plans.

I'm going to be attempting to modify Season's version to hold the 8 passenger allotment - AND attempt to reinstate the jacuzzi and lounge with their sliding viewports, all while keeping a space for a maintenance bay and engine room.

In the meantime - what are your guy's thoughts on the subject?

Heres a copy of the original design from the exterior by the weg artists for referance:
http://gioco.net/starwars/ultimosettore/images/starships/baudo_class_star_yacht.png
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like some of the deckplans found on Colonial Chrome (the source of the first deckplan), but I have found that they have a tendency to go for quantity over quality, making relatively implausible floor plans that do not make realistic use of available internal space on a ship. The Baudo-class is supposed to be a sport yacht; high speed and performance at the cost of interior space. Think of it as the Star Wars equivalent of a cigarette yacht; it may cost a lot of money and move you very quickly from A to B, but that doesn't mean its a comfortable place to stay long term.

IMO, the two bulges on the Baudo's dorsal hull are engine housings, but all the deckplans I have seen convert them into crew quarters, lounge areas, or a swimming pool. Rolling Eyes

Of the two you presented, I like B better than A, but it's still not my favorite. That would be this one here:

I particularly like the lateral view, showing how the deck fits vertically into the ship's silhouette. However, this version does still have some problems. Regrettably, I am nowhere near gifted enough to generate my own version, but here are some points worth considering.

No matter how good a deckplan is, you can quickly pick out if certain details are neglected. Such as lifeboats. According to several WEG sources, all ships are supposed to have some manner of emergency escape device for all assigned passenger slots (so, if a ship like the Baudo has 1 crew and 8 passengers, it needs to have escape pod seating for 9), yet none of the three deck plans I have seen include escape pods.

Also, as a sport yacht, this ship doesn't need four staterooms with queen-sized beds. With internal space at a premium, there should be double bunks to conserve space. I don't mind a separate suite with a larger bed for the captain/owner, but this ship just doesn't have the space available for room to stretch out. That doesn't mean the bunks won't be as comfortable as money can buy, just that there isn't a lot of room to work with.

Finally (and this is the biggest issue), none of the deckplans seem to take the third dimension into account. Remember that the hull of the Baudo may start out at man-height (or at least normal room height) at the center axis, but that height drops off sharply the further out you go, so the deckplan needs to take that into account.

I have my own ideas for fixes to this deckplan that would fit well with what we know of the ship officially, so if you'd like to hear more, let me know. I'll tell you this, though; I don't think there is any way to make this ship include a pool and staterooms for everyone on board and still have it do what it is meant to do. If you want your characters to fly around in the lap of luxury, put them in a Luxury 3000 or a Starwind. The Baudo is intended to be the space equivalent of a sports car; fast and powerful and cramped.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and here is the exterior image that accompanies that deckplan (courtesy of Frank Bonura's Star Wars Deckplans Alliance):

Link

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose if nothing else, at least that floor plan illustrates that an 8 passenger with a decent engine room can be done.
It may be lacking in some features, like the lounge and galley being nothing more than a bar like area, but at least its scale on bedding and things seems plausible still.

Thoughts to consider as I attempt the redesign at least.

A question to you all - does a second level with a maintenance bay/engine room seem implausible giving the ships dimensions?
Because it seems to me that the ships height would be at least 8 meters from plating to plating.
So I was thinking a ladder down/lift to a second level to access the engine room.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always considered the escape pods to be under those buldges..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetsuoh wrote:
I suppose if nothing else, at least that floor plan illustrates that an 8 passenger with a decent engine room can be done.
It may be lacking in some features, like the lounge and galley being nothing more than a bar like area, but at least its scale on bedding and things seems plausible still.

Actually, there is visual evidence on the original, official image that argues in favor of the dorsal bulges being engine housings. If you look closely, there is a slit running completely around the leading edge of both bulges. Several ships in the SWU (the X-Wing, the B-Wing, etc.) have noticeable intakes on their drive engines, and I can't really think of a plausible reason that a bedroom suite or a swimming pool would need a venting system that opens into the vacuum of space. My take on the bulges is that the ship has two separate drive units, one under each bulge, and that they feed into a central unit that feeds the external drive thrusters.

IMO, this simplifies the conversion from passenger to cargo transport. With the engines moved out into the bulges, what was the engine room now has room to be a cargo bay (since the stock version has a capacity of 35 metric tons). The way I picture it, the upper level of the former engine room can be converted into a pair of small staterooms, with access doors at the top of the stairs leading up from the boarding ramp. To pick up the additional 40 tons gained in trade for the 4 passenger spaces (which are the only real differences between the stock Baudo and the modified "Gilded Lily" variant), all you have to do is tear out the two rear staterooms and convert the whole space into one big cargo space.

Quote:
A question to you all - does a second level with a maintenance bay/engine room seem implausible giving the ships dimensions?
Because it seems to me that the ships height would be at least 8 meters from plating to plating.
So I was thinking a ladder down/lift to a second level to access the engine room.

I'm thinking it's implausible. Despite my opinion on the inaccuracies of the above deckplan, it is at least on scale. Based on that scale, there is only room for about 1 1/2 decks at the highest point in the ship, and at that point, it would be more realistic to have access panels ala the Falcon, rather than a completely separate deck.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I have always considered the escape pods to be under those buldges..

IMO, the bulges are the engines (reasoning described above), and the lifepod/s are located under the hatch-like structure located on the ship's dorsal slope just aft of the cockpit. I'm thinking either a single multi-seat pod, or a series of single-seat pods, ala Frank Bonura's PES-550 system.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post. You don't need to see this post; it's not the post you're looking for. Move along.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thats where I placed my escape pod access was under that dorsal hatch area.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ship looks like the Star bridge class vessel from the game EV Nova.

Google it and you'll see.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically speaking, since EV Nova was released in 2002, and the Baudo was included in a book first published in 1990, it would be more accurate to say that the Starbridge looks like the Baudo, not the other way around. But that's just me being nit-picky. Thank you for the input.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetsuoh wrote:
Yeah thats where I placed my escape pod access was under that dorsal hatch area.

So how did you fit the escape pod into the floorplan you used?

tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had rearranged the central walkway - removing the dejarik table and bench. And placing a cylinder for the escape pod.

I just rethought it after coming back to read while taking a break.

I noticed that I cannot find an escape pod hatch on any of the floor plans so far with the exceptions of the first one I posted which is notably unrealistic.
(and in fact may not be an escape hatch anyway.)

I'm currently sitting back and examining my work, trying to think of way to accomplish it.

I had already come to the conclusion that I would need to exclude passenger space to retain the jacuzzi present in the one floorplan.
And seeing as our version of it at the moment will not have it at the start, have excluded it from my work until I am finished with the current version.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think it was a mistake to put the passenger capacity at 8 for the stock ship. The Baudo just doesn't have the internal space to carry that many people comfortably. IMO, the modifications done to the Gilded Lily to give it 75 metric tons passenger space probably involved pulling, say, a lounge or a jacuzzi from somewhere (maybe even the dorsal space between the engine bulges), leaving the ship with space for 4 passengers. One of the methods described in Tramp Freighters to earn money is by passenger transport, and a yacht being converted into a transport wouldn't want to sacrifice any more useful space that absolutely necessary.

As far as the escape pods, I went more along the lines of Frank Bonura's PES-550 system:

The way I picture it, there would be two pod launchers: one on either side of the corridor leading to the cockpit from the central lounge. To access the escape pods, a person would open a hatch inset into the wall and climb into a single-seat escape pod, then the pod would be ejected vertically through the dorsal hatch. The first pod's place would then be taken by another pod loaded from a magazine of pods located on the other side of the launch tube from the central corridor, and the process would repeat as needed. Each launcher would have a capacity for, say, six pods (enough for the pilot and all the passengers, plus a few extras).

tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my issue isn't what escape pod to use - It's finding the floor room for any at all atm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: