The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Millenium Falcon campaign
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> The Millenium Falcon campaign Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: The Millenium Falcon campaign Reply with quote

Disregard canon while reading this...

So I've been thinking of a campaign set in the era between trilogies, that tells the story of how the PC's won-and lost-the most famous ship in the galaxy.

It involves the rise of the Empire as well, and gets into why Darth Vader is so interested in finding the ship in ESB. It turns out that he had a previous bit of history with it. The ship helped destroy a pet project of his that he was working on, to try an get the Emperor's favor (Tarkin's DS project impressed Palpatine plenty).

Whatever Vader's project is, I haven't determined yet, but that would be the climactic moment of the campaign. After that, the PC's will lose the ship somehow, and the campaign will end.

The campaign will start with the PC's winning/buying/being loaned the ship... missions (smuggling trading), getting caught up in new fledgling rebellion, Imperial entanglements, and climactic ending involving the Empire/Vader's project.

It's a neat way to involve the party with a really iconic SW element. What do you think?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Millenium Falcon campaign Reply with quote

Neat idea. I'd love to hear what all you come up with!

ebertran wrote:
Whatever Vader's project is, I haven't determined yet, but that would be the climactic moment of the campaign. After that, the PC's will lose the ship somehow, and the campaign will end.

You could tie the ship to one of Vader's secret apprentaces. Maybe the characters buy the ship from a less than reputable used starship dealer. As the campaign progresses, they discover that the ship had been stolen (From the secret apprentace) and the previous owner is actively looking for the ship. Problem is, for one reason or another, the characters cant give the ship back even if they wanted to. While trying to get the ship back, the apprentace excalates a conflict that may very well draw the attention of the Emperor himself.

Obviously, you would want to give the apprentace a reason for going rogue to go looking for a ship of questionable value. Maybe he/she/it had hidden something on board? Perhaps an item of power that he/she/it stole from Vader, something that Vader was planning to use to overthrow the Emperor?

A neat way for you to end the campaign would be to have the characters loose the ship to Lando in a high stakes Sabbacc game, . . .
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clone Wars era with the ship?
Downstrike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could even have the players who are piloting get boarded by a young Officer Solo for some imperial paperwork junk. They have a conversation about the life of a smuggler, freedom, etc.

That would be major bragging rights. Some jerk talking about his +5 Vorpral Star Destroyer of holding that killed the Emp with a kick to the groin. Your friend smirks, turns to um and says, "I made Han Solo Bad" and walks away to refill your nachos out of gratitude.

Cheers
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thus we have the superiority of D6 vs. D20! Laughing
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a q.. would it be fully decked out to the level han had it?
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is to set it between trilogies, but with the Empire already well on its way.

The ship would not be as fully customized as Han had it, we do need to let him make some modifications himself, after all.

Also, the plan is for the Kessel Run to be a part of this campaign. Han said the ship made the run, he didnt specify that it was him...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebertran wrote:
The idea is to set it between trilogies, but with the Empire already well on its way.

The ship would not be as fully customized as Han had it, we do need to let him make some modifications himself, after all.

Also, the plan is for the Kessel Run to be a part of this campaign. Han said the ship made the run, he didnt specify that it was him...

Good catch.. i had to go back to a website that lists quotes, and he says the Falcon made it in 12 parsecs.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Young Han Solo Trilogy it shows him doing it.
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i go by the films.
In my defense, i did say "disregard canon when reading this" Smile
mdlake
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very interested in learning your technique for reaching a foregone conclusion, how willingly your players cooperate, and the reason for their reaction.

Let's imagine, for example, that Lando Calrissian makes an appearance, foreshadowing the point where he'll take the Falcon that Solo might later win it from him at a sabacc game. Do the players grin and begin showing the Falcon off, actively "flirting" with Calrissian and setting up the moment? Or do they set their jaws and declare, "Oh, no, he ain't getting our ship!" Maybe even go so far as to violate canon and sink to metagaming, finding some excuse to shoot Calrissian so it can't happen? And how do you handle that reaction?

Someday I want to run a much more elaborate exploration of reverse chronology, and I can use all the anecdotal data I can get on what works and what doesn't.
Downstrike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdlake wrote:

Someday I want to run a much more elaborate exploration of reverse chronology, and I can use all the anecdotal data I can get on what works and what doesn't.

Here is what will work. You cheat just as bad as the players. You think Lando took over the Cloud City through and with democratic ideas or with the backing of a Hutt? Han has to owe for more than just one bad run. Luke is all about cruelty to animals, add late bed wetting and firestarter and you have Dahlmer with a lightsaber. Leia is roayalty from a paradise with no weapons, sure thing comrade. Is Chewie a freed slave or an informant on the rest of his people from the Warsaw Ghetto? We all know who controls the Garbage from Broadway to Sesame St!

DS
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdlake wrote:

Let's imagine, for example, that Lando Calrissian makes an appearance, foreshadowing the point where he'll take the Falcon that Solo might later win it from him at a sabacc game. Do the players grin and begin showing the Falcon off, actively "flirting" with Calrissian and setting up the moment? Or do they set their jaws and declare, "Oh, no, he ain't getting our ship!" Maybe even go so far as to violate canon and sink to metagaming, finding some excuse to shoot Calrissian so it can't happen? And how do you handle that reaction?

Ok, so Calrissian is dead.. han can now no longer win the falcon from him and as such no one is there to transport luke from Tatooine to the rebellion.. so leia dies on the death star, it blows up the rebels over yavin and the empire goes on to blowing up other planets...
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downstrike wrote:
You cheat just as bad as the players.
My old GM tried that once. It led to rules lawyering and arguments. No one GM can cheat better than a group of players. There's too much to keep track of. Either you keep your players away from plot-critical characters, objects and events, or you deal with the fact that they might change their own little quantum reality of Star Wars and you don't try to stop them.

A group of friends might come over to your house every week for a role-playing game, but not for the weekly 2 hour power struggle.
garhkal wrote:
the empire goes on to blowing up other planets...
Probably not. After Alderaan and Yavin 4, I doubt they would need to blow up any more worlds, and they want those worlds for the wealth they can funnel away from them. That's neither here nor there, though.

Complete Starship Construction System
Downstrike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kell,

I get the feeling that you didn't read my whole post Crying or Very sad
Maybe if I said cheat the story....does that make more sense?

DS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: