The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Millenium Falcon campaign
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> The Millenium Falcon campaign Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downstrike wrote:
Kell,

I get the feeling that you didn't read my whole post Crying or Very sad
Maybe if I said cheat the story....does that make more sense?

Kind of, although if you're departing from the events of the movies either way, what's the point?

Complete Starship Construction System
mdlake
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Ok, so Calrissian is dead.. (snip) and the empire goes on to blowing up other planets...

Exactly. That's exactly why a GM has to think things through. There's players who will do precisely that, out of sheer perversity or as a way to assert the primacy of PC integrity over setting integrity. Especially if contrariness serves personal aggrandizement, e.g., keeping the Falcon means they have a (soon-to-be) famous, kick-@$$ spaceship. Others may not rebel so dramatically, but may nevertheless resent playing to a foregone conclusion.

So the question is how to run a prequel adventure without triggering such reactions, all the while also trying to reconcile free will with destiny--even innocent choices can cause chaos.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if they keep it, then the falcon never goes into hans hands, and therefore never becomes famous..
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not that way anyway....
Downstrike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Downstrike wrote:
Kell,

I get the feeling that you didn't read my whole post Crying or Very sad
Maybe if I said cheat the story....does that make more sense?

Kind of, although if you're departing from the events of the movies either way, what's the point?

Now I feel like I missed a post?

I think my point was to have the players find out that the characters in the movies were not the people they thought they were. The small amount of incest is just the tip of the iceberg. Sorry if brain no work with finger 2 word make. me type gooder next O clock.

DS
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downstrike wrote:

Now I feel like I missed a post?

I think my point was to have the players find out that the characters in the movies were not the people they thought they were. The small amount of incest is just the tip of the iceberg. Sorry if brain no work with finger 2 word make. me type gooder next O clock.

DS
Isn't this all supposed to be a response tactic to players doing something like killing Lando?

Complete Starship Construction System
Downstrike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdlake wrote:
Or do they set their jaws and declare, "Oh, no, he ain't getting our ship!" Maybe even go so far as to violate canon and sink to metagaming, finding some excuse to shoot Calrissian so it can't happen? And how do you handle that reaction?

Someday I want to run a much more elaborate exploration of reverse chronology, and I can use all the anecdotal data I can get on what works and what doesn't.

No, what I'm saying is Lando isn't dead yet. He is a Made Guy. He sends Repo Men to collect on a debt owed by one of the players only living relatives. Or the ship gets jacked and ends up in lando's posses. Or Lando offers to buy it as scrap when repair costs are too high. Lando has blood family right? Maybe something goes down and they get the ship for him.

Thus cheat like a Character would. Smile
mdlake
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, ebertran, I'm sorry to have triggered such a tangle of drift and non sequitur. Asking to know what devices you employ and whether they work seemed simple enough at the time...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downstrike wrote:
mdlake wrote:
Or do they set their jaws and declare, "Oh, no, he ain't getting our ship!" Maybe even go so far as to violate canon and sink to metagaming, finding some excuse to shoot Calrissian so it can't happen? And how do you handle that reaction?

Someday I want to run a much more elaborate exploration of reverse chronology, and I can use all the anecdotal data I can get on what works and what doesn't.

No, what I'm saying is Lando isn't dead yet. He is a Made Guy. He sends Repo Men to collect on a debt owed by one of the players only living relatives. Or the ship gets jacked and ends up in lando's posses. Or Lando offers to buy it as scrap when repair costs are too high. Lando has blood family right? Maybe something goes down and they get the ship for him.

Thus cheat like a Character would. Smile

Or he uses his contacts in various guilds and such to get the characters ship impounded for various crimes.. then buys it from the impound lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: