The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Snarky Players
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Snarky Players Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Snarky Players Reply with quote

I had a situation happen the other night I don't wish to happen again. I posted an open game event on G+ and a fellow singed up about five days in advance. I sent him a few messages asking if was going to play a pregen or make a character. I never heard back from.

The event starts and he is the second guy to show up. I am thinking, "cool". I thought I might have a problem with the guy when he wanted to make a character right then and there. Yeah screw everyone else who was here, already had a character. I suggested he play one of the NPCs and gave him the sheet and personality write-up.

He then spent the next 3 hours being the biggest jack@ss I have played with in quite some time. Not only was he snarky, but incredibly disrespectful of the other players and me as the GM.

Then at the end of the night, he says three snarky commnets back to back, announces its not a good fit and leaves.

This guy had me so rattled I couldn't tell a good story, describe anything with good detail and constantly had to take moments to not snap at him in a nasty way.

All in the all the session was a complete loss. My question to other GMs is how would you have dealt with this? Keep in mind this was a virtual game not a face to face. If it had been face to face I would have punched in the face and told him to get the hell out.

I think next time something like this happens, I will just confront the person and ask them if there is a problem. Second time they get out of line, explain this is not a good fit and ask them to leave.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I missed the worst of it last night (with my coms problems), but even what little I heard was annoying.

Like I said, at the end of the game and the post game discussion (right before my last internet kicking me out of google +) the story/adventure was a great idea. It is something I'd have been way into (the proof of manhood hunt with the roster-bagas). So, don't let the night 'get to you'.

Just chalk it up to working out some karma, (you earned for cutting me to the quick in the Star systems for young Jedi post Laughing ) a good reminder that there are 'bad' gamers even in d6 SW, or just a night with all the stars out of alignment.

Too bad we don't have a reset-do over button ...

That said, I'm still looking forward to next game! Time to sneaky peaky into an Imp science compound & lab, steel a log, (if we are lucky even some more data that us Rebels can use), a ship, and make a quick getaway (hopefully avoiding the 'blackness' that has swatted down 2 craft in two nights!)

Forgive all spelling errors.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your last idea (where you wrote "I think next time something like this happens, I will just confront the person and ask them if there is a problem. Second time they get out of line, explain this is not a good fit and ask them to leave.") is the best.

Sounds like this guy was generally a prick, and when he never responded (but showed up right before the game expecting everybody to wait while he made up a character) shows what type of person he is. You did nothing wrong, but probably gave him the benefit of the doubt that he would be a decent player.

At least you now have an idea what to do the next time somebody starts to be disruptive, and will be better prepared to deal with it!
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a bit more time to digest the events. I am still a little upset over the whole. I would typically not take or allow that sort of abuse at my table, so I have not quite figured out why I didn't do anything. I am mad at myself for having not doing anything.

I think the part that really gets to me about the night, was this persons actions. The level of his disdain, snarkiness and general rudeness was uncalled for. In fact I doubt in a real face to face game he would have done that. Knowing if he did act that way he was probably going to get his @ss kicked.

This leads me to think it was a maturity issue, but then again I pegged him at least 18-20. Even at that age there should be a level of respect and social decorum one should adhere to. This person did none of those things.

It annoys because this person felt there were no consequences to his actions and because things were not to his liking, he disagreed with a explanation or whatever, that he could act and treat people however he liked. That sort of mentality escapes me.

I think that is why I didn't do anything when I should have. I thought, "there is no way this guy is being this big a jerk on purpose, maybe he will pull it together". Then is became a pattern.

Painful lesson learned, a protocol has been implemented to deal with this sort of issue in the future, he is gone, and I still have my good players and possibly a new one as well.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Snarky Players Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

I think next time something like this happens, I will just confront the person and ask them if there is a problem. Second time they get out of line, explain this is not a good fit and ask them to leave.

Since it's a virtual session, can't you "LOG him out" or block him (disconnecting him from the session)?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bet I could have. Problem was, he had me so stymied I was not thinking straight. As I said above, in normal circumstances I would have called him out on his behavior and then booted/banned him. But in answer to your question, yes there are controls within G+ Hangouts I could have used to remove him.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tools are there to remove the problems, and the mindset is there to remove the problems, as well as a fair process as you've described.
I think it was just so unexpected, especially since you're going above and beyond anything normal to keep SWD6 alive out there and generate interest by running games, that to have someone join (who we have to assume wanted to play) and cause such a problem it rendered you momentarily, and effectively, speechless for want of a better terminology.

Does it suck that the session got ruined? Like heck it does...
However, there's no need to continue to beat yourself up over it, it happened, but allowing it to continue to bother you is allowing the moron who did the deed to win.

He caught you unawares, and unfortunately it may 'color' your view for a session or two to come, however, the best bet is to accept that it happened, and let it go.

Dude, you are doing so much to keep this game alive, including 'hosting' game sessions, that one black mark is to my mind neither here or there. Especially since it wasn't your fault, it was just a blindside...

Just take some time and explain, if you haven't already, to the players that it was a slip and I'm sure they'll come running back without an issue, especially as you mentioned in another post they agreed with your thoughts.

Hit replay, redo, do over, and dwell on it no further, my friend.

T.C.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh goodness... What did I miss last night????
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known players who use the game to unload personal baggage into, it's sort of like an expression of self loathing that they take out on other players. It never ends well so when recognized these players are booted until they're in a better gaming mood. Sometimes we'll even stop the game and talk personally to the feller and try to help him out with whatever the problem really is, but either way they just can't game well like that so it's sort it out now or go.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
Oh goodness... What did I miss last night????

Read my post in the recap, then this one, and add 1 +1 and you have it Confused

I'm not sure which was worse. Me having coms issues, or hearing the echoes of the issues from him in what little I could hear ...

That said, it was a great idea with us going on a hunt with the roster begas to prove our worth. Lets push to a good next game !

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will push through this. Next game session should be much better. Still need to talk to Wes and get him comfortable with us. Though I understand the stutter, it is jarring and a touch disconcerting. I am not trying to be a jerk, just addressing the elephant in the room =)
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've never had the opportunity to join one of these games, unfortunately, I agree that this douche kebab should have been booted unceremoniously, and invited to never return. I'm sorry this guy ruined what surely was otherwise a great game.

While I don't know the setup of this game, I'd assume there is the capability for PMs to be sent between people. I'd encourage your players to feel free to tell such people to shape up or get dumped out the airlock, and to (at least through PM) encourage you to take action. I know that players dislike having a game disrupted as much as the GM does; I'm certain you all were of one accord during this unfortunate episode.

I am glad that you're not letting that idiot stop you from continuing to provide this game. And hopefully I'll be able to join in someday.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Jedi Skyler] I am currently running five, that's correct, five virtual tables. Should be some way to get you into a game. Right now I think the only opening I have is the great Friday Night Table I have. That group only has two players and they are REALLY good.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue isn't with your availability; it's mine. I appreciate your willingness to add me, but believe me, it's not you. Besides my availability, I live in the country, and as such don't have unlimited internet, so I'm at a double disadvantage.

Trust me...once my situation changes, I'll be looking to try to join a game. It's been WAAAAAAAAAY too long since I've had the opportunity to play in a real-time game.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:

.... Besides my availability, I live in the country, and as such don't have unlimited internet, so I'm at a double disadvantage.

Trust me...once my situation changes, I'll be looking to try to join a game. It's been WAAAAAAAAAY too long since I've had the opportunity to play in a real-time game.

You & I are in the same boat on that (living in the country & with limited coms). It hadn't been a problem with me until this game, but then when my coms went wonkie on me ... It is part of living out in the back woods. I have 5 acres to run cows on, grow a garden, pigs and goats. I'm surrounded by pastures and get to watch duck and geese fly into the surrounding ponds (which I plan on knocking down some of them once I get the honey do list taken care of). However, it comes with a price, one of which is having slow internet ...

As for your not playing in way too long, rgr that! I hadn't gamed in over 5 years, and it was 16+ for SW. That said, playing in SWR's game has been a great breath of fresh air! Once things settle for you, and once you are using a tin can & string for your internet, I'd advise joining in one of his games. He is a great story teller, keep s the flow going and keeps it in the spirit of SW.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: