The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A way out of some no-win scenarios...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> A way out of some no-win scenarios... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
True, but tatooine is a lawless outland area...
And that might be one of the 12 systems, but the point is that having separate death sentences implies that much of the Star Wars justice system is not at the Imperial level. And in the EU the heroes of Yavin wander around on lots of other systems. We don't see much action on civilized planets in the original trilogy, but even there Han, Chewie, and Leia are able to go to Bespin without automatically being arrested. You can assume that law enforcement is more organized and shares information widely, but that doesn't seem well supported by either the films (either trilogy) or the EU novels.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True... Local planets would be more likely to not bother with another planet's issues, but if the bounty/crime is flat out imperial, i can see any imperial aligned planet pushing the issue.
And though their crime was local, since it did involve them shooting LE personnel, i can see other planets giving them some heavy watching at the bare minimum.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the legal system on planets will make decisions on what extrajurisdictional crimes they want to enforce based on politics, not on the particular crime. Now individual law enforcement personnel might feel differently based on some shared cop-ly fellow feeling.

But in general I think Star Wars works best by assuming the legal system is much more siloed than it is in our world. More like how things were pre-911, pre-Interpol, pre-WWII, pre-FBI really where characters can escape many of their crimes by moving to a new system and extradition is unusual. YMMV.*

* And I might look at this very differently if I had players who wanted to run conciousless killers.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually brings up an interesting q..
Does there exist a way in SW for extraditing a person from planet to planet, let alone system to system/sector?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that what bounty hunters are for?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the answer is that in general there is not. Under the Old Republic and the New Republic the systems/planets seem to have a large degree of autonomy especially regarding local matters. Consider the fact the Trade Federation embargo of Naboo was treated as a local matter in which the Republic may or may not decide to get involved.

During the Empire, Imperial crimes might be an exception, though I think even there I prefer the notion that the local system has to consent to the extradition. But the Imperial request always has an implicit threat attached since if the Empire cares enough they may 'request' extradition while a Stardestroyer or two are orbiting your capital. But I like the idea that a planet would have to decide whether to turn someone over or risk Imperial wrath.

Esoomian mentioned bounty hunters - which is a good point, I'd also point out that the description of the Iotran Bracemen makes it clear that they will track down and apprehend criminals by extralegal means who break Iotran law and then flee to another jurisdiction. That wouldn't be necessary if extradiction was automatic, certain, or easy.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True there are hunters.. And good find for the Iotrians..
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent points, Esoomian and Bren!

Complete Starship Construction System
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Also regarding how known/wanted PCs are...in keeping with the source material where the only surviving Alderaanian Royal, a known and wanted smuggler, and the last of the Jedi can all run around the galaxy (sometimes together) without being swamped by local or Imperial forces every place they go, I tend to be equally generous with the PCs. Generally I restrict violations to single planets or systems. Remember Dr. "I have the death sentence on twelve systems" Evazan lists his violations by separate system rather then Empire wide.

An excellent idea! And the brilliance comes in with the paranoia of the PCs never knowing exactly WHICH systems share wanted lists/extradition with Bothawui and the out-in-the-sticks planet... (which will probably be relatively few... but their imagination may fill in a much larger numer)... Wink

garhkal wrote:
As a q to the OP.. Did they break out themselves, or did someone else break them out ?? The way you wrote it, it seems like the latter (though there is no mention of whom).

Ah, yes, my bad. They were broken out by Agent Dana (inspired by the dead agent at the start of Tatooine Manhunt), a cousin of one of the players, and a replacement character for the PC whose character was killed in the preceding mission (who has already run several adventures with the PCs a year ago as a temporary substitute while the now-dead PC was recovering from grievous injuries).

Hard core OT, all the way!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
An excellent idea! And the brilliance comes in with the paranoia of the PCs never knowing exactly WHICH systems share wanted lists/extradition with Bothawui and the out-in-the-sticks planet... (which will probably be relatively few... but their imagination may fill in a much larger numer)...
Or you can leverage it into convincing someone to put some CPs in law enforcement or bereaucracy skills...

Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! That'll be the day! Very Happy

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then they can suffer the consequences of their lack of foresight!
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And pay the price for their lack of vision? Smile

DASHER
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Cowboy up Reply with quote

Let a PC cowboy up and take the Dark Side point to kill the guy, then work toward redemption.
The path to this can be as simple or as convoluted as desired in terms of roleplaying.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cowboy up Reply with quote

DASHER wrote:
Let a PC cowboy up and take the Dark Side point to kill the guy, then work toward redemption.
The path to this can be as simple or as convoluted as desired in terms of roleplaying.
Interesting... This is what I would probably do as a PC nowdays, I just hadn't thought to suggest what the players could do, versus the GM.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: