The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Former WEG Staff - Contributors to The Rancor Pit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Former WEG Staff - Contributors to The Rancor Pit? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Former WEG Staff - Contributors to The Rancor Pit? Reply with quote

I was just wondering how many (if any) former West End Games staff are currently on the member list for The Rancor Pit? I thought I remember hearing there were at least a couple who participated in the forums, and it would be great to ask questions about game design/rules/etc. directly to those people who were involved with the game creation. Anyone have any insight with respect to this? Thanks!
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there have been any former contributors then they have been quiet for some time. Peter Scweighofer used to contribute at the WEG Fanforums, and I know that Sterling Hershey used to be an active user at the Holonet. But I don't recall anyone being here and broadcasting it. You can still see Schweig at RPGNet, but that's the only place I've seen him for a while now.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably the been on this board the longest. Well active poster anyway.

I don't remember anyone mentioning that they worked for WEG.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have Cheshire, Gry Sarth, Grimace, and Whill, which is just as good.

Complete Starship Construction System
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:

I appreciate the vote of confidence, though there are a few names I would place above my own. If I'm not mistaken garkhal and Bren have a recollection of the RAW that far surpasses my own.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:

I appreciate the vote of confidence, though there are a few names I would place above my own. If I'm not mistaken garkhal and Bren have a recollection of the RAW that far surpasses my own.
Thanks, but my recollection is a bit fuzzy, I'm just anal enough to look stuff up a lot. Laughing

But the others, yeah they are great. I can't count the number of times that I use the PDFs that Gry Sarth and Co put together. Having searchable equipment, ship, and other lists is invaluable - even if I have the original rulesbooks.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Having searchable equipment, ship, and other lists is invaluable - even if I have the original rulesbooks.

Heh. Having a searchable document was probably the main reason why I went ahead and made that Conversion Guide Index. I couldn't stand not being able to remember where I'd had that one piece of equipment.

At the end of it, I was actually pretty surprised at how pages worth of stats we'd converted.

Yeah... it's too bad we never got around to compiling all of the conversions into one big document. That might have been nice. It would have given us a chance to go back and do some errata though.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you haven't gotten around to it yet, doesn't mean that it won't happen in the future. Who knows? Maybe Gry will come back to us trumpets sounding and be ready to roll on new projects. Or maybe someone else will have the kind of pdf know-how that he does and the dream can be realize. Smile

I have to admit having the conversions & stat compilations is a godsend at times.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're probably right, Fallon - there are some people (Gry, etc.) here who would probably give any WEG ex-staff a run for their money. Smile

Thanks for the info everyone (Cheshire, Orgaloth) - I've seen Schweighofer's web page:
http://www.griffonpubstudio.com/
but didn't know he used to post on The Rancor Pit.

For those people with the old institutional knowledge from when WEG was still around, who would people say was most responsible for establishing the core game mechanics for Star Wars d6? Eric Goldberg, Paul Murphy, Bill Slavicsek, Bill Smith, others? Has someone written an unofficial history of the origins of d6 Star Wars?

Happy Monday!
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarification: I've seen Peter post on WEG Fanforums and RPGNet, but I have not seen him post on the Pit.

I don't anticipate that we'll see anyone from the old guard come in here. I think the closest that I've seen is Rod Thompson (from WotC) HAD an account here, but then he deliberately decided never to come back. Though back in that day there was some pretty blatant book pirating going on here. Since then this place has tidied up its act, though I think it may still have a touch of the reputation for being not as clean a neighborhood as some other forums. I could be wrong on that, though.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification, Cheshire.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak to any issues from before my time, but I have found the atmosphere here almost uniformly pleasant without a requirement for direct moderation. And the signal to noise ration of the posts is high. And that is not something a lot of forums can say. Very Happy
jmanski

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Clarification: I've seen Peter post on WEG Fanforums and RPGNet, but I have not seen him post on the Pit.

I don't anticipate that we'll see anyone from the old guard come in here. I think the closest that I've seen is Rod Thompson (from WotC) HAD an account here, but then he deliberately decided never to come back. Though back in that day there was some pretty blatant book pirating going on here. Since then this place has tidied up its act, though I think it may still have a touch of the reputation for being not as clean a neighborhood as some other forums. I could be wrong on that, though.

Seems like Rod only opened the account to criticize the file-sharing, which promptly halted. I don't believe he ever posted again. I guess we're too shady... Twisted Evil
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or too rebellious. Yeah, we're rebels. Yay!
jmanski

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you put it that way.... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: