The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars conversion of Dragon Age
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Star Wars conversion of Dragon Age
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Star Wars conversion of Dragon Age Reply with quote

I've been playing and enjoying the Dragon Age rpg by Green Ronin. It's a system that while has many modern design traits, it clearly takes it inspiration from older style D&D games like the Rules Cyclopedia rulebook.

For example, it doesn't assume miniatures or a grid for combats, there are only three classes (avoiding bloat), and rules are fast and simple to play.

So having said that, I've taken it upon myself to attempt a conversion for SW. I'm a huge fan of the WEG SW, and I feel that a Dragon Age hack can capture the fast cinematic feel of weg's d6 game. Oh, Dragon Age is only played with 3d6. That's it. So it's kind of a d6 game. Smile

I have a website at newbiedm.com, where you can find some of the work I've been doing. Thanks.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any sort of conversion rubric, or all the stats just kind of eyeballed?
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to mantain the "feel" of the races, for example. So if something had a high dex, or str, I'm obviously translating that.

I'm kind of eyeballing it, but I'm trying to apply some logic to it. I should be ready to release a playtest pdf within the next 2 weeks or so, so we'll see. Are you familiar with Dragon Age at all?
Orion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played it...yes it is simple but it uses hit points, one of my not so favorite things... Stunts are a cool idea, but as chars level up and get more hit points they become less effective and combat ends up feeling very much like AD&D(that would be 1st edition I'm referring to), at least for me it did.

Good luck with your conversion. Smile
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my take on space combat using Dragon Age mechanics:

http://newbiedm.com/2012/05/15/space-combat-in-my-swage-hack/
Bigkrieg
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the D6 system would work better for medieval/fantasy type settings. One of the aspects of the d6 system I really like the importance of parry or dodge skills and how any hit has the potential to kill you. I really do not like hit points.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: