The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Minisix RPG Static Defenses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Minisix RPG Static Defenses Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liquidsabre
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Minisix RPG Static Defenses Reply with quote

Anyone try using these for running SWD6?

For those not familiar with this variant it involves the use of static defenses for Block (Brawling Parry skill dice x3 + pips), Dodge (Dodge skill dice x3 + pips), Parry (Melee Parry skill dice x3 + pips), and Soak (Strength dice x3 + pips + armor). Full Dodge/Parry would provide a +10 to the applicable defense.

This variant would replace rolling against attacks as a reaction and would be the base difficulty required to hit the character. The minisix rpg seemed to downplay the effect this would have on the D6 system but I am finding this would effect quite a bit. Not having to declare actions for reactive dodges/parries seems to shake up the combat paradigm, not sure if this is in a good way or not yet.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought using your actions to dodge/parry was stupid, anyway... In our games, dodges and parries are always rolled at full die code, regardless of number of actions declared.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can do 5 actions and still parry at FULL dice? That doesn't seem right.
Liquidsabre
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just reduces lethality a bit, just as many other house rules do by either increasing character point usage, using an alternate damage/wound system, or just sticking with 1e damage rules.

With static defenses you have the benefit of cutting combat time for dice rolling in half, albeit using a slightly below average result. Balanced sicne NPCs will have the same defenses, though I am skeptical of any net time saving since this may result in slightly longer combats.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
So you can do 5 actions and still parry at FULL dice? That doesn't seem right.

Meh... It works for us. Besides, it works out mathematically the same as this propsed house rule.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, essentially it's a static number to hit, much like a reflex defense in the d20 SAGA?
Liquidsabre
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's correct. Static defenses for a character with a Brawling Parry 3D+2, Dodge 5D, Melee Parry 4D+1, and Strength 3D+1 (blast vest adds +1) would simply look like this:

Block 11, Dodge 15, Parry 13, Soak 11

These are the difficulty numbers for attackers attempting to hit the character in a normal fight (has a melee weapon to parry at hand, not surprised, etc.). For damage Soak is simply subtracted from incoming damage and then any remaining compared to the damage effect table.

For simplicity these values in Minisix don't seem to be affected by any dice pool penalties (just as Strength vs. damage works by RAW). So tactics for stacking penalties and beating down an enemy's defenses doesn't seem to apply here. Not sure if I like that.

I was considering using a simpler and less lethal damage system for 2e R&E SWD6 gaming but I think if I use static defenses this will accomplish the same thing but also make combat a little faster to resolve. I was just wondering if anyone had used static defenses in a SWD6 or Minisix game.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they still get to opt to roll of they don't like the static number? Can they add CP/FP to it?
Liquidsabre
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, when using Minisix's Static Defenses option these skills are never rolled. Though rolling your defense dice and adding it to your static value for the full dodge/parry action sounds like more fun to me.

Character Points may be spent and added to defense values. For example, a character with Dodge 14 spends a character point and rolls a 4 making their Dodge 18 for the incoming attack. The same character spending a Force Point adds 10 to all defenses (as with the full defense action, which would add another 10 to all defenses when spending a FP). At least, that's how I'd probably run this using static defenses. Minisix doesn't really have a Force Point equivalent and so no rules for how to handle it.
Liquidsabre
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did anyone find static defenses compelling in the slightest?
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually thinking about trying it out soon in a one-shot.
JT Swift
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually anytime if have a bunch of low level mooks fighting my PCs I just assume all the NPCs rolled 3.5xDice+pips+cover. So the defense ends up being static for most of the bad guys. Saves a lot of time as multiple players can roll their attacks at the same time and just tell me whether they hit or not.

For Everything about the TARDIS check out
http://www.whoniverse.net/tardis/

For all things Gallifreyan check out
http://meshyfish.com/~roo/index.html
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT Swift wrote:
Actually anytime if have a bunch of low level mooks fighting my PCs I just assume all the NPCs rolled 3.5xDice+pips+cover. So the defense ends up being static for most of the bad guys. Saves a lot of time as multiple players can roll their attacks at the same time and just tell me whether they hit or not.

I sometimes do the same, but the players dont know about it (I roll some random dice behind my GM screen).
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.5xDice+pips+cover. This is what I do for NPCs as well (With rare exceptions for special situations). I also tend to pre-roll a lot of important rolls before the game starts to save time during the play.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I'm actually thinking about trying it out soon in a one-shot.

I used it in an SW game- worked like a charm, and cut down on some dice rolls which I thought helped new players with immersion in combat.

I still gave the option of doing a "full dodge" if players wanted to, but I'm not sure anyone tried it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: