The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What is your style?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> What is your style? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally my group tends to do mostly role playing. I do however usually have at least one battle per game. Even if its quick.

I am really only tough about the rules with Jedi characters. I feel that you need to be. They really can't be allowed to walk the lines of being a grey Jedi or anything like that. Plus in games that involve alot of Jedi I usualy make the games more complex with plot twists and more cerebral situations. This has worked well for almost a decade now.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My style? Hmmmm...
I try to be Cinematic in events, story, descriptions, and the overall use of rules. Things in cinema are larger than life. Heros are more daring, and seemingly acomplish the impossible.
I also tend to have a darker edge to things that sometimes goes unseen. Wheels withing wheels within wheels, my plots grind onward, ever deepening in complexity like some evil machine.
I try to be fair for the most part when interpreting rules and guidelines, and setting new rules. I try to use an even hand. I tend to dislike having NPCs do things that the players simply can't or the rules state are not allowed. It only serves to alineate and annoy players for the most part.
I like to be flexible. Open to new ideas and considerations. Always willing to review a rule, possibly expand upon it, and even open new territory completely. I usually try to ask myself "how will this affect the game" and "how will the player percieve it". I use a few house rules for Initiative that my player see as very dynamic and fast paced.
I try to support the game with visuals & music. Sometimes I turn to props. I allow players to select things for musical score withint the style of music being used in the game (usually theme songs for their character that I play in solo scenes and such). I try to give the player some part in the development of the game mood and environment overall.
I will let my players get away with a few things here and there, but I don't give freebies. There is ultimately a price to pay somehow.
For some skills (Con, Bargain, Persuasion, etc...) I ask the player to roll play it out, then often modify the difficulty based on how well they did, or whether their explanation or bargain makes sense.
As for mortality, it is a definate part of my campaigns, as player need to understand that sometimes script imunity does not apply. I am more lax in killing characters in a game like Star Wars than in other games, and will try to find other ways to get my point across besides death (escaping with cripling or maiming wounds, losing a loved one, losing valuables, etc...). Sometimes though, death is the only answer. If a characters death is/will be Heroic in the end, it always stands; In my opinion, a Heroic death is really all a character in an RPG should/would hope for, as Heros live forever in legend.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ihave earned (and well deserved IMO) the lable 'oh harsh one' for my style..

Part of it, is back when i was first into gming, i was one of those, who would fudge all the time when the pcs were in danger. It got to a point, many a game session i felt, was ruined cause of it. Also it got the pcs into the mindset they were invincible. Now days i do NOT fudge. I also am now, not afraid to kill one if the situation warrents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: