The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Cheatest item i've ever used
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> The Cheatest item i've ever used Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: The Cheatest item i've ever used Reply with quote

*Learning should always be challenging and, whenever possible, enjoyable. Now it can be less time-consuming than ever before. From Consolidated Learning comes the latest in direct learning transfer. The synoptic teacher is a comfortable and safe way of absorbing information with a higher degree of active data retention than with traditional methods. The synoptic teacher works by transferring data directly to the brain at a subconscious level. The process is totally painless and the user can relax, learning effortlessly. Need to pick up a few pointers on astral navigation? Or how about a refresher course in Bocce? Try the synoptic teacher from CLS. Getting an education was never easier.*

Model: Consolidated Learning Systems Synoptic Teacher
Type: Subconcious Teaching System
Cost: 10,500, 200-1,000 (information modules)
Availability: 3
Game Notes: A variety of pre-designed information learning modules are available on a wide variety of subjects (gamemaster should determine availability). Transference procedure takes between 15-30 minutes. Depending on the level of module content, its degree of technical or cultural sophistication, the user must make an Easy-Very Difficult Perception roll to effectively absorb the material. A successful roll means the user gains +1D-3D in that given skill or skill specialization if the character's skill level is below 5D (including attribute). The gamemaster is free to adjust costs, difficulties, skill bonuses and maximum limits to any degree desired. The user may gain a benefit from a data module only once.

We declared that once a data module was used that it could no longer be used again, as the data had been essentially uploaded into a character's brain, this prevents synoptic learning parties, where for the low cost of X credits the entire party beefs up a knowledge or technical skill by up to 3D.

I had one character that purchased the unit from Galladinium's after reading about it in a catalog... he became a wiz at repairing s*** in no time. My GM hates the day that i ever brought it into his game, and my character has since been retired, running a prosperous business or space charters, and various repairs. Smile a very cheap way of getting some quick skill boosts, especially if you decide to spend some character points on your perception check to ensure the +3D

Anyway, enjoy. Wink

Last edited by Crell Damar on Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, very cool!

*wakes up* - "I know Kung Fu." Laughing

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Rexer
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I can make jumps into hyperspace faster than my astromech droid can. Shocked
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that i look at it, it could be argued that you could raise up any skill from any attribute with that, due to the fact that it uses subconcious programming, you just know how to fire a blaster, or what the smoothest thing to say in that situation, or what coordinates you need to put in to make the trip through hyperspace shorter...

my GM declared that only knowledge and technical skills could be raised with it hmmm... Confused
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, sign me up for the merc package! Very Happy

Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you mean every skill on the merc template, or just classic combat skills?

cause if it's a whole template, that would be very very expensive
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the characters have the character points available, this could provide a really cool role playing way of learning some obscure skills - even ones for which no teacher could be found.

If the director allowed the skills to be raised without the character points being spent, I think it would lessen the fun of the game.

What do you think?
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Volar. I think it would "unbalance" the game if you could just buy skill levels without having the character points for it. You shouldn't be able to just buy skills with credits. I guess that's why the subject of this thread is "The Cheatest item i've ever used"... Very Happy

Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, partially, although i ended up spending character points on my perception roll to ensure the +3D enhancement, and besides, it's a 1 time boost, which means if they end up wanted to raise the skill later, it would most likely cost them the CP to raise up a skill that's so much higher.

when i used it, i used it to learn skills that my template hadn't started with, but i wanted to know at decent levels. You see, i was the newby character in a group of gods, and needed to catch up as quickly as possible in order to remain useful to the group, and survive against the enemy, so most of my normal CP went towards combat skills, and i didn't have too many resources after that to raise up my Knowledge and Tech skills that i had wanted to learn anyway. And, if you use cp on your perception roll, learning skills with the teacher can get to be an expensive investment cp-wise, and money wise, a GM could declare that a character who uses the device too much ends up becoming addicted, and seeks out any skill-soft they can find to use on themselves, in a sense becoming "information junkies" Smile
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auron wrote:
seeks out any skill-soft they can find to use on themselves, in a sense becoming "information junkies"

"Well, the only skill-soft I have is for knitting..."
"I DON'T CARE!!! I JUST NEED A HIT!!!"
/me learns to knit... Laughing

Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want, learn the Tech skill Knitting... hehe

Scholar:Yarns & Needles

ROFL be a regular Demolition Man
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Laughing

Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't think of any "cheatiest" items in our campaign, but we did once have a character dive onto a thermal detonator and then try to convince the director his character could survive!

He reasoned with his Coynite armour backed up by his Coynite strengh (maxed, of course) which he would double using a force point, that he could survive!

The group groaned, but applauded after the director firmly applied the "fine red mist" rule. He explained whatever the character rolled - it didn't matter. Nobody jumps on a subnuclear explosive and lives. period...no, don't bother rolling.

He salved the player's feeling by having that character's name read aloud at the next naming ceremony as the character was buried at the Coynite fallen hero cemetary - well, the scraps of his armour were buried anyway.
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run into a similar situation when a Wookiee character tried to break down a steel blast door. On page 125 of the Gamemaster Handbook, it says that a blast door has a strength rating of 6D. Well, Wookiees can have strength of up to 6D, but there's no way anyone can break down a steel blast door with their bare hands. It doesn't matter how much damage you roll, your fist will break before a steel door does.
*punches steel blast door* "AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My hand!!!!!" Very Happy

Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Remember, that's 6D CAPITAL ship scale...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: