The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hyper space travel times...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Hyper space travel times...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patchman
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Hyper space travel times... Reply with quote

I've seen all the website with the galaxy and what planets are where... But does anyone have some rough times from like the core to the rim? Or planets to planets... I have most books, just trying to gather as much info as possible before starting my new group.
I'm known to not be prepared so trying to change that... Any info would be appreciated.

Chris

ps if this has been asked and answered sorry.
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one site that has an ok astrogation chart:
http://www.angelfire.com/me3/swgame/chart.html

The original RANCOR PIT archive
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long do you think travel should take within the Tion Cluster at 1x? I've got a good map I made of the systems within all three "subsectors" in the Cluster, but I'm having trouble guesstimating travel times. Like, Caluula to Lianna? Either to Raxus? That kinda thing.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the galaxy is a *BIG* place, I'd say it would take several months or weeks to reach the very edge of the Outer Rim from Coruscant.

And you'd have to stop and make astrogation checks on the way, since you can't just jump anywhere you want because of asteroid fields, supernovas and gravity shadows.

Crossing the galaxy should be a fun-filled adventure spanning even an entire campaign... "Across the galaxy in 80 days!" now there's an idea!
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Tatooine and Endor are on the very outer edge of the Outer Rim, or even close to it, then it would not take weeks or months to reach it from Coruscant according to the astrogation gazetter. All one needs to do is to look for shortcuts. Coruscant to Tatooine is 22d14h, weeks yes if one takes the straight course. However, Corellia to Coruscant is 4h, the same for Corellia to Tatooine. So by traveling through Corellia, Coruscant to Tatooine becomes 8h, less than a day. Endor to Coruscant is 6d12h, but Endor to Corellia is 17h. Again by going through Corellia you take less than a day, but only by three hours.

Wanted Poster
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I guess so... but it doesn't give you the feel that "if there is a bright center of the universe, Tatooine is farthest from it" (not quite correct quote, but you get my meaning), if you can get to Coruscant quickly...

Here's when personal opinions and published information clashes.
What to do?

Decide yourself! Smile
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how quickly you can reach a point does not always translate into distance. The general route between two places may actually be the longest route even if it is advertised as the best way to get there. And Coruscant is neither the center of the universe nor of the Star Wars galaxy. So Luke's comment in ANH could still hold true.

Wanted Poster
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
But how quickly you can reach a point does not always translate into distance. The general route between two places may actually be the longest route even if it is advertised as the best way to get there. And Coruscant is neither the center of the universe nor of the Star Wars galaxy. So Luke's comment in ANH could still hold true.

Besides, it sounds like people are taking his comment far too literally. Luke probably was talking mostly figuratively... i.e. that he lived in a po-dunk little sand bucket where nothing actually happened. The equivelant of living in a western border town (Tatooine) in 1876 compared to, say, New York City (Coruscant).

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always worked under the premise that the galaxy (or the "slice", as that's how I prefer the Star Wars galaxy) is actually quite lengthy if you are to jump from system to system to system. If you are lucky enough to hop into one of the major thoroughfares, such as the Corellian Run or the Hydian Way, then you can drastically reduce the amount of time it takes to traverse the distance. The only problem with taking those routes is that you can only quickly travel to places right along those routes. If you want to move off of those routes, to the "out of the way" areas, the travel times increase quite a bit.

What I use to substantiate this are the assorted maps that can be found in the various WEG books. You'll find travel times between systems being anywhere from hours to many days. That's WITHIN a sector. If that particular sector isn't along a major hyperspace lane, then getting to and from that sector will also take time.

So, if you happen to be on a major hyperspace lane, I would guess that you can get from "one side of the galaxy to the other" (as Han said) in a matter of a few hours (across the width of the slice) to a couple of days (down the length of the slice). If you happen to be travelling the routes that don't facilitate major hyperspace lanes, then the time to travel across the width dramatically increases to several months, and the time taken to move from the Core to the Outer Rims would take probably over a year.
Gigobyte
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there an easy to print chart, i only have access to a comp at work for awhile, till i find out whats wrong with my home comp...?
Gigobyte
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there is no easy to print file out there?
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chart is too wide to fit on a word document.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Gigobyte
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that is why I am looking for one that is able to be fit on to one or two pages.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. I've never seen one that would successfully print out on a single page (or even two pages). Something always gets chopped off and lost in the limbo that is the print buffer.
Neutral
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: zah Reply with quote

A big problem is, that official releases (like Star Wars: Behind the Magic) tell of a real galaxy as opposed to the "slice" published in WEG products.

I personally favor the whole galaxy theory because it makes little sense to me, that instead of exploring the near areas first, the whole expansion is made outward, where it becomes increasingly difficult for space-travelers to obtain the heavy materials needed for primitive space vessels.

I don't stick slavishly to the chart in R&E as it is outdated anyway and does not include many worlds. Most of the time I actually stay away from "official" worlds to keep the magic, that is invoked when you actually end up on Tatooine, Alderaan or Coruscant.

A big danger of the chart in R&E is that the Galaxy loses its majesty to mere controllable numbers. A galaxy is immense. Our milky way contains a 100 billion stars (100,000,000,000) and is 100,000 lightyears wide. The bulge is 60,000 ly wide. Hyperspace travel shortens these distances a lot, but I keep travel times vague, subject to hyperspace currents, force whims and similar random occurences. The routes can be calculated, but the surprises cannot. I picture these routes not like three dimensional highways, but rather as a complex vascular or neural system, like in a colossal brain. The big trade lanes are safer to travel and might have a galactic hyperspace jet stream in one direction, yet some worlds are way off (Dagobah, Tatooine, Mon Calamari) and take an incredible time to reach even if they seem to be near civilized areas such as Naboo, which is in the Outer Rim, too as far as I know. Some worlds might be hard to reach by hyperspace at all. Think about the density of stars and gravitation anomalies in the deep core or far off worlds that lie in a blank spot somewhere neare the very end of the galaxy.

Another question: Where do the trade lanes end? The rebel fleet seemed to be anchoring far out in intergalactic space at the end of ESB.

>-q=p---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: