The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Prometheus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Prometheus Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Prometheus Reply with quote

Just watched the movie. While I'm still not sure what I think of it, my mind automatically started thinking about how it could fit in the SWU (I know, I'm such a geek). There are some interesting parallels between the Engineers and the Celestials of the SWU. Might be an interesting place for a crossover adventure involving Celestial technology...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense in broad strokes but you might want to consider altering its undercurrent. Promethus, as a prequel of the Alien quadrology moved towards a genetic engineering theme at its core, where the Star Wars fables have at their core the Force. Where Promethus/Alien..., hung the question of scientific/business ethic with advanced technologies, Star Wars examines the nature of the individual's fight with the self for the cause of good or ill.

Scant references to the Rakata as a pre-Republic space faring civilisation for example, make simple notes like their Force powered hyperdrive/navigation system and the combining of the Force with technology (most of this reference background is in the Kotor game). As it happens combining the Force with technology created the situation whereby the evils which sentients do were compounded and ultimately caused the fall of the civilisation to the Dark Side, first enslaving other species and finally destroying itself, leaving a remnant of devolved Rakata without any connection to the Force.

Taking a leaf from this book it maybe worth considering the Celestials as a more successful, more ancient version of the Rakata's Force technology used by a benevolent civilisation, perhaps they were such that breeding was rare and only in small numbers, they were very long lived, very wise and being only in small numbers were never really prone to the pitfalls of the Dark Side prevalent in a large and complex society. Meanwhile their Force technology nevertheless made them extremely powerful.
In this was we bring the theme back into the realm of the Force rather than genetics and maintain the Star Wars Universe theme.

I did find personally WH40K transferred well to an alternate galaxy in the Star Wars Universe, in our game, because of Psykers and Eldar. It was a simple case of rewriting them using the Force, even powered armour is easily transferred and Terminator suits aren't that different from things like Spacetrooper Stormtrooper elite.

But things like Alien quadrology we never touched purely because of the absence of the Force, it's more a gunslinger campaign. The wow factor is all genetics and alien species. Throw a single mid level Jedi into that environment and he's a god. Which is kind of the point, the whole trick about SWU is part of the prose is if a Jedi Knight came to Earth as we know it or have known it, he'd be worshipped as a god. It's a level beyond the scope of the Aliens prose.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use WH40K as well, but I don't think its fair to say that Alien doesn't work with the SWU. It's all in how you work the crossover.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, There's always this. That doesn't look like an aggressive stance to me. I believe he's domesticating it...

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would the Orneriness rating be for an Alien...?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000d
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
What would the Orneriness rating be for an Alien...?
Only 7D, but it's Capital-scale Orneriness.

Complete Starship Construction System
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Force using Aliens? Be like dark side creatures on steroids.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen stats done up for Aliens where they communicate using Force telepathy, but personally, I prefer having them just be really vicious mundane creatures.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The genrtic engerring theme could port over. Look at the Clone Troopers. The Aleins could be another anit-Jedi construct. Perhaps one that was aborted when it got out on control.

Centrain aspects of the Alien lifeform would be problematic for Jedi, such as the Acid blood. The things are something that you really don't want to get in close to fight, but the Jedi's favored weapon, is an in-close weapon.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I've seen stats done up for Aliens where they communicate using Force telepathy, but personally, I prefer having them just be really vicious mundane creatures.

Id save the 'force' using aliens for a 40K Tyranid conversion..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
The genrtic engerring theme could port over. Look at the Clone Troopers. The Aleins could be another anit-Jedi construct. Perhaps one that was aborted when it got out on control.

There is that, but there is also the aspect of the age discrepancy between the two races, where the Engineers were roaming the stars long before humanity even existed. To get a similar effect - that of a powerful, ancient race that was capable of both engineering life and planning to wipe it out on a planetary scale - you have to go back to the oldest species in the SWU. In the Wikipedia article, it states that the Celestials are believed to be responsible for seeding the Core Worlds with life. What form that seeding took (genetic engineering or transplanting beings from one world to another) is unknown, but the similarity is obvious.

Quote:
Centrain aspects of the Alien lifeform would be problematic for Jedi, such as the Acid blood. The things are something that you really don't want to get in close to fight, but the Jedi's favored weapon, is an in-close weapon.

Very true. Depends how you want to play it, I guess. Sabers have a cauterizing effect that could work similarly on Aliens as with other lifeforms. There has also been mention at various points in the Alien series that the Alien might be susceptible to fire. If that is the case, a lightsaber might actually inflict more damage.

As I said, it depends how you want to play it.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Id save the 'force' using aliens for a 40K Tyranid conversion..

There is another possibility. If Aliens do actually sample the genetics of their host, what would happen if an Alien was hosted by a Force Sensitive? Would the resulting creature also be Force sensitive?

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't that depend on if Force Sensitivity was genetic?

Given that Force Sensitivity can be spontaniously manifested by spending twenty character points it seems more likely to be related to something other than genetics.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Wouldn't that depend on if Force Sensitivity was genetic?

Given that Force Sensitivity can be spontaniously manifested by spending twenty character points it seems more likely to be related to something other than genetics.

By the game rules, maybe. In-universe, however, the preponderance of evidence would suggest that Force Sensitives who procreate tend to have Force Sensitive offspring.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: