The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dark Jedi, Sith and the rule of 2?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Dark Jedi, Sith and the rule of 2?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Dark Jedi, Sith and the rule of 2? Reply with quote

Ok, another newbe question …

I realize all a dark Jedi is, is a Jedi who has fallen to the dark side, and a Sith is a dark user who as specialized training.

However, how easy is it foe a fallen Jedi to become a Sith … Do they need a master to teach them (if so what if the Jedi was a strong knight before they fell and were close to master level on their own). What if they only find a scroll or holocron? Would it be enough to take a Dark Jedi over to being a Sith? What about all those hidden tombs with Sith spirits????

Ok now to the rule of 2 … Just like I can’t see there only being 100ish Jedi, I can’t see there only being 2 Sith in the whole Galaxy … Even if they decenterilize to keep form fighting amongst their selves there will be more than only 2. … And then there is always a chance that an acolyte will make the leap of evil to Sith, or a dark Jedi will go all the way to Sith, etc etc etc.

With that, how do you handle giving fallen Jedi Sith powers instead of just using Jedi powers darkly?

Also, What about the Sith … Admittedly, there will be only a few masters, but how many mid level Sith are there and who do they work for/answer too (keeping in mind the rule of 2.

As for the rule of 2, do you keep it as cannon, or do you expanding it beyond there just being only 1 master and his 1 apprentice?

Forgive all spelling errors.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training: I've always treated training cost/requirements pretty much the same, whether its a Jedi, Sith, or some other force using group. The RAW goes out of its way to discourage playing Dark Side characters, but I've never let that stop me in my own stories (Heck, I've got a Sith Apprentace in one of the games I'm currently running on this site.) If you want to allow dark side characters in your games, there isnt any rason you cant. Just make sure to do your homework and be sure that you know what you're getting ourself into before starting.

The Rule of Two: I've always interpreted it this way: Darth Bane was the only full Sith Master to survive the destruction of the Sith Empire. (Giving him the most legitimate claim to the "Sith" mantle.) However there there were likely some lesser Sith who went to ground and formed their own splinter groups. Add a few groups who learned from recovered artifacts, texts, spirits, etc, and this explains the hand full of Sith groups out there.

The Rule of Two was only supposed to include two force users, a Master to embody the power, and an Apprentace to crave it, however if you read the books/comics/etc, you will see that the Emperor had several force users who worked for him, but only one true "Apprentace." Darth Vader also had several "Secret Apprentaces." In the end, go with whatever works best for you an your story.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
The Rule of Two was only supposed to include two force users, a Master to embody the power, and an Apprentace to crave it, however if you read the books/comics/etc, you will see that the Emperor had several force users who worked for him, but only one true "Apprentace." Darth Vader also had several "Secret Apprentaces." In the end, go with whatever works best for you an your story.

And having several non-apprentices makes sense from a pragmatic standpoint. The Master would need a replacement pool from which to select a new apprentice if something happened to his current apprentice. Conversely, the Apprentice would need to select his own apprentice from that pool if something happened to the Master.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true.. The rule of two to me was done back in the dark days to keep the Sith off the jedi council's radar. nothing more.

For me though, a holocron or sith spirit CAN corrupt a jedi enough to turn them into sith.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a rules standpoint, distinguishing between a Sith Apprentice and a Sith Acolyte (i.e. a Force adept who is not the current Sith Apprentice) is easy for the Master to achieve by how much training he offers. If he trains the Apprentice, and either doesn't train the Acolytes or trains them very little, the Acolytes have to pay double CP cost to advance their Force skills for not having a teacher.

lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, thanks

It all makes sense, and is what I was thinking. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't chasing rabbits on it.

Quote:

Darth Bane was the only full Sith Master to survive the destruction of the Sith Empire. (Giving him the most legitimate claim to the "Sith" mantle.) However there there were likely some lesser Sith who went to ground and formed their own splinter groups. Add a few groups who learned from recovered artifacts, texts, spirits, etc, and this explains the hand full of Sith groups out there.

Rgr on that, Hmmmmm ... I just had a twisted idea ... Having a splinter Sith group helping a Jedi to fight a more powerful Sith ... and of course slowly quietly trying to corrupt the Jedi ... Is your enemy's enemy truly your friend ...

As for running a Sith character/game, I'm waaaaay to much the Paladin minded DM/player, so I can't see me ever running an evil game. That said, I do want my bad guys to be as realist as possible so ...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing around with the idea of using Warhammer 40K races to populate the Unknown Regions, using Chaos forces to represent a branch of the Sith that evolved separate from the Rule of Two Sith in the main portion of the galaxy. All the rampant in-fighting and betrayal present among Chaos forces would be a good match for Sith Lords.

Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
Rgr on that, Hmmmmm ... I just had a twisted idea ... Having a splinter Sith group helping a Jedi to fight a more powerful Sith ... and of course slowly quietly trying to corrupt the Jedi ... Is your enemy's enemy truly your friend ...

I'm under the impression that a group of Sith and Luke's Jedi ended up working together in the Fate of the Jedi series. But I havent got to read them yet (Went back to the start of the timeline to read everything over after completing Invincible.) so I'm afraid that I cant be any more help there.

In that kind of situation, I expect that the Sith would be very sutle, and the Jedi would be equaly wary for the duration of their alliance. If I was a Sith in that sitution, I would likely try "Befriending" one or more of the younger, more impressionable Jedi Knights/Apprentaces/Padawans.
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"When your power eclipses mine I will become expendable. This is the Rule of Two: one Master and one apprentice. When you are ready to claim the mantle of Dark Lord as your own, you must do so by eliminating me." ―Darth Bane to Darth Zannah

Darth Bane restored the idea of the Rule of Two after studying Darth Revan's holocron. Darth's Revan's thinking was that by training more then one student the students could team up and defeat the master. Then turn on each other. The end result was that the surviving Sith would be weaker then they started.

Bane agreed with that concept, taking it a step further. Bane felt that the dark side had a limited amount of energy available to it as does the light. By focusing that energy through only two Sith Lords the Sith would be able to wield tremendous power over the Jedi who are sharing the light side with many others. This theory was tested on Tython where Bane and Zannah fought four Jedi Masters and lived having killed all four.

Years went by and Zannah never challenged Bane. So he started training Darth Cognus as Zannah's replacement, but Zannah stood up and killed Bane and took Cognus as her apprentice.

Further, Darth Sidious had Darth Maul as his apprentice while he was still apprenticed to Darth Plagueis. And Darth Tenebrous had a secret apprentice while he was Plagueis' master.

The way I handle the game issue is the Sith Lords have a wider access to powers. The second stringers if you are limited in the powers they learn from their masters. As they gain dice in their force powers perhaps their master will teach them the better powers. Perhaps they have to learn on their own. And perhaps the master strings them along promising them power later while not teaching them anything.

As for other dark jedi or sith in the galaxy sure. I've used them. But since they're not trained as Sith I've always limited their power selections a little. I've given them a few of the instant dark side point powers from the core book and almost never any from the other books. Reserving those for the trained Sith or others that have a logical reason to have that power.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant agree more with Darth Ginzain (Obiously, being a Sith Lord himself and having taken the "Darth" mantle, he would know! Wink )

More powerful and/or ligitimate Sith groups would likely have better tools for teaching, resulting in Sith who would likely have a much wider range of powers to draw from. Smaller groups would most likely have less resources, making the proccess of learning new powers much more difficult and time consuming.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:

In that kind of situation, I expect that the Sith would be very subtle, and the Jedi would be equally wary for the duration of their alliance. If I was a Sith in that situation, I would likely try "Befriending" one or more of the younger, more impressionable Jedi Knights/Apprentaces/Padawans.

Rgr on that, and the first step in their subtleness would be to hide that they are strait up sith ... Rgr big time on the befriending younger impressionable force users. That is exactly what I was thinking ...

Darth Ginz

Thanks for the clarification/history of it. You know with the "When your power eclipses mine I will become expendable. This is the Rule of Two: one Master and one apprentice. When you are ready to claim the mantle of Dark Lord as your own, you must do so by eliminating me." ―Darth Bane to Darth Zannah " Maybe to be a true Sith master you have to have a apprentice ... It kind of goes with a Jedi teaching a student with a DSP gets a DSP too. Expand that and for the dark side to support a Sith master, he must be actively corrupting a apprentice ...

Quote:

I cant agree more with Darth Ginzain (Obiously, being a Sith Lord himself and having taken the "Darth" mantle, he would know! )

More powerful and/or ligitimate Sith groups would likely have better tools for teaching, resulting in Sith who would likely have a much wider range of powers to draw from. Smaller groups would most likely have less resources, making the proccess of learning new powers much more difficult and time consuming.

Rgr on that, As an eternal good guy, I will not argue the workings of the dark with a dark master Laughing

I guess part of my problem is that I don't have the books that show the Sith teaching, powers equipment etc so I'm only making best guesses as to what they have or know at full power much less being a splinter group with less than full access to the powers/teaching.

Crmc,

I've never been into WH40k, but rgr on that idea. Chaos, in fighting etc etc etc would be the end result of Sith having long term control of an area. I don't know about where it would be good to have them, unknown region, one of the minor satellite galaxies orbiting the main galaxy ... something like that.

Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
I guess part of my problem is that I don't have the books that show the Sith teaching, powers equipment etc so I'm only making best guesses as to what they have or know at full power much less being a splinter group with less than full access to the powers/teaching.

A good place to start would be with the old Tales of the Jedi comics and the Darth Bane trillogy. Lcking that, you should be able to learn a lot from wookieepedia with a little time,

The TotJ comics might take a little work to find, but the Darth Bane books are new enough that you should be able to find them at your local Library.
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookieepedia is your friend. Almost everything you need to know can be found there. And it's my favourite price. Free. Now if you're referring to West End sourcebooks that have expanded Force powers and info http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1229 has a very nice collection with stats for almost everything you really need.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Ginzain wrote:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookieepedia is your friend. Almost everything you need to know can be found there. And it's my favourite price. Free. Now if you're referring to West End sourcebooks that have expanded Force powers and info http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1229 has a very nice collection with stats for almost everything you really need.

Thanks!

I'd found wookieepedia and that is what lead to soooo many of my questions. Unfortunately with it, I don't even know what I don't know so once I start looking there, I get deep into the weeds or chase rabbits all over the place.

As for the collection, COOL!!!! I hadn't seen that ! once I get home I'll have to start digging through there Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: