The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Warhammer Tech
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Warhammer Tech Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leona Makk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Leona Makk wrote:
OH! I miss 40K!

Any ideas for Chain Swords and Chain Axes? I might write up a Chaos themed swoop gang and those would complete the look. Bloodsniffers?

Hmmm....what if you swapped the creatures in the "Otherspace" adventure with tyranids?

Heck! Maybe I should break out the old Space Hulk Game and let the players fight Genestealers!!!

Actually, I've got a crossover concept that uses a watered-down version of the 40K universe to populate the Unknown Regions. Obviously some things won't work directly; there isn't enough room in the SW galaxy for two galaxy-spanning authoritarian xenophobic Empires. A brief rundown...
    1). The Imperial Military (Ground and Space Forces) are now the Demiurg (Dwarves), with the backstory of the Squat sub-races used as the basis for their society. IMO, the stylized look of most Imperial Navy vessels would fit with the artistic tendencies one would tend to ascribe to dwarven artisans. The Demiurg would be highly conservative and mildly xenophobic, and would retain much of the organization of the Ecclesiarchy and Adeptus Terra, especially the Adeptus Mechanicus, with technology having a highly religious aspect to it (although not in a stagnated form as in WH40K).

2). Chaos are now the Sith Empire of the Unknown Regions. The daemons could be the result of Sith Alchemy experimentation, but daemonic entities could be introduced as malevolent energy creatures inhabiting hyperspace in some fashion similar to Otherspace, like an intersecting dimension of some kind.

3). Ogryns and Beastmen would exist as primitive races and recruited as shock troops for the Demiurg and the Sith, respectively. Ratlings / Halflings would also exist essentially unchanged as a subject / ally of the Demiurg.

4). The Eldar and all their subcategories are unchanged, but the back story of the catastrophe that leveled their homeworlds would need to be changed. Perhaps have the remains of their homeworld be the location of the Sith Empire, because the apocalypse left their worlds shrouded in the Dark Side.

5). The Tau would be kept unchanged, but I have strongly considered using Tau equipment to form the Chiss military

6). Necrons would be unchanged, but their harvesting activities are for entechment (which the Ssi-Ruuk scavenged from a Necron wreck) to power their droid forms.

7). Demiurg ships would be a new race, with an almost mystical relationship with technology, able to make technology to perform near magical feats. I was thinking some cross with Gnomes and Jokaero, making these creatures more willing to interact with other species, and make them more like monkeys instead of orangutans.

8). Orks and Tyranids would be left unchanged, but reduced in scope, so that they are more of a local problem (i.e. still a big threat in the Unknown Regions, but not known to the larger galaxy) than a galaxy-wide threat.

9). The Webway would be altered to something more along the lines of the Stargate Gate Network, rather than accessing an alternate dimension (It would simplify things), and the Eldar and Necrons would use jump technology (transitioning instantly from one point to another) while the other races would use hyperdrives, except for the Tyranids, who never bother with it in the first place. Commoragh would be in a pocket dimension of some sort, ala Otherspace.

10). The Rakata and the Celestials could fit nicely with the backstory of several of the older races, like the Orks and the Necrons, as subject races begun as warrior fodder. The Eldar origins could be linked to the Celestials, as a countering warrior species to combat the Rakata's subject races.

11). Space Marines would be split off to form an elite experimental unit under the Empire, drawn from the stormtrooper corps and upgraded with bioware implants and power armor to create a cutting-edge unit of shock troops.

12). Psykers and Navigators would be more like conventional Force users, with Navigators being Force users specializing in Instinctive Astrogation, which is a necessity for travel through the hyperspace fluctuations found throughout the Unknown Regions.

The Unknown Regions are certainly huge enough for all of these.

2) The Sith Alchemy Creatures have always been a fun and open field but I haven't seen much come of it. Chaos Critters and Mutant Marines would be fresh compared to the old Sith Henchman in a black hood.

5) The Chiss could use a style upgrade; it can't all be fringed shoulder pads!

8) The Orks' Power of the WAAAAGH! would be an entertaining version of the Dark Side!

11) I designed a Space Trooper squad after the Marine Terminators with Jump Packs. Pretty terrifying with Power Fists and an Assault Cannon (E-Web?)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refractor Field Projector
The development of the Refractor Field stems from the failure of multiple attempts to develop a useful Personal Deflector Shield. While a wearable Deflector Shields Projector would be highly useful in a variety of applications, extensive experimentation has revealed several insurmountable problems, most prominently power consumption and the fact that harmful radiation levels inside the shield reached critical levels in a matter of seconds. In short, any usable system would require the wearer don a full radiation suit and carry a bulky portable fusion generator in a backpack. After repeated setbacks, attention shifted to pursuing alternate methods, with the most promising being the Refractor Field.

Rather than fully blocking an attack, a Refractor Field redirects energy laterally, around the perimeter of the shield itself. While not as effective against attacks, the field can be powered by an integrated battery, and the refractive effect reduces radiation levels almost entirely.

The system does have several drawbacks. Most prominently, the field is highly visible, surrounding the wearer in a flickering corona of blue light, which makes it practically impossible to use covertly. In addition, while the field is very useful against ranged attacks, it is vulnerable to edged melee weapons and lightsabers, as persistent applied pressure can overcome the lateral pressure of the refraction effect and penetrate the shield boundary. Finally, the projector can only absorb a limited amount of damage before it runs out of power.

Effect: +3D vs Ranged Attacks and Blunt Melee or Brawling Attacks.
+10 to Difficulty of Edged/Cutting Melee attacks.
+2D to any opposed Perception or Search attempts, and negates any Darkness-based Concealment bonuses.
Duration: If the wearer rolls a Wild 1 on their Damage Soak roll, roll 3D and compare it to the following table:
    Roll vs. Difficulty = Result
    Wins = Field continues to function normally.
    Fails by 5 or less = Field continues to function normally, but only has 1D rounds of power remaining.
    Fails by more than 5 = Field will run out of power at the end of the round, and cannot be reused until the projector is recharged.
Difficulty begins at 0, and increases by +5 for each Wild 1 result.
Accessory Equipment: Super-Capacitor
A super-capacitor is a low-duration power pack that provides a massive energy boost to the refractor field, adding +2D to the Damage Soak roll for three rounds. Once the capacitor is expended, it must be recharged before it can be used again.

DESIGN NOTE: So, this is technically a WH40K crossover, but it combines elements of both Dune personal shields and the personal deflector used by Kyle Katarn in the Dark Forces series.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leona Makk wrote:
The Unknown Regions are certainly huge enough for all of these.

Missed this somehow back when you replied.

Quote:
2) The Sith Alchemy Creatures have always been a fun and open field but I haven't seen much come of it. Chaos Critters and Mutant Marines would be fresh compared to the old Sith Henchman in a black hood.

Definitely. Most of the Chaos mutations cross over quite nicely as the results of Sith Alchemy, so mutant Sith berserkers and the like are definite possibility.

Quote:
5) The Chiss could use a style upgrade; it can't all be fringed shoulder pads!

Yeah, I'm kinda waffling on this one. An alternate possibility that occurred to me was to keep the Tau as is, then pick some of the ships from Renegade Legion to flesh out the Chiss.

Quote:
8) The Orks' Power of the WAAAAGH! would be an entertaining version of the Dark Side!

I'm looking at it more as a Coordination effect, where skill levels (and Weirdboy power output) ramp up the more Orks are concentrated in one place.

Quote:
11) I designed a Space Trooper squad after the Marine Terminators with Jump Packs. Pretty terrifying with Power Fists and an Assault Cannon (E-Web?)

I went a slightly different route and made them Drop Troopers, ala Heinlein's Starship Troopers. I actually had a full write-up a while back, but it got lost in a hard drive crash, and I haven't really gotten back around to redoing it.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who aren't familiar with WH40K, here's a list of the Grenade types I want to port over (once I get the grenade rules sorted out to my satisfaction):
    Blast Grenades:
    -Frag (As per the RAW, with something suitable high-tech as the shrapnel: shards of glass / ceramic / synthetic diamond, mono-wire, etc)
    -Haywire (Combination Ion and Stun)
    -Krak (Concentrated AP, with high Damage but low Blast Radius)
    -Melta-Bomb (Heat Damage; ignites flammables, melts everything else)
    -Slack (Combination of Photon and Shock, essentially an advanced Flash-Bang. Slack is a corruption of the acronym for Sound, Light and Concussion: SLaC)
    -Rad (As Frag, but incorporates radioactive particles that inflict long-term damage)

Field Grenades:
    -Plasma (Incendiary, persists over multiple rounds)
    -Stasis (Generates a short-lived entropy field that freezes time within its radius of effect)
    -Tanglefoot (Graviton bomb that causes gravity to fluctuate within the field, increasing Terrain Difficulties)
    -Vortex (Persistent and unpredictable effect that partially warps anything within its area of effect into hyperspace, utterly annihilating it)

Gas Grenades:
    -Anti-Plant (Powerful defoliant that reduces most plants to ash and dust within seconds)
    -Baffler ("Blind Grenade"; a more complex version of a smoke grenade, releasing a dense dark grey smoke cloud saturated with infrared bafflers and broad spectrum electro-magnetic radiation and chaff to disrupt enemy scanners)
    -Choke (Renders victims unconscious due to lack of oxygen)
    -Cryo (Chemical gel freezes solid on exposure to air, potentially flash-freezing targets. May make it a Carbonite Grenade)
    -Hallucinogen (Causes victims to hallucinate in a variety of ways, greatly decreasing their combat effectiveness
    -Null ("Psyk-Out", disrupts Force use, with accompanying Stun effect)
    -Scare (Similar to Hallucinogen, but makes the targets afraid)
    -Smoke (Basic cloud of smoke that blocks normal vision, but not full spectrum optics or sensors)
    -Stumm (Similar to Hallucinogen, but causes a Confusion effect)
    -Toxin (Potent nerve gas that kills anyone not in a sealed suit)
    -Virus (Even more potent than Toxin, but more unpredictable, potentially mutating and recurring in the future)

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Look forward to seeing them!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some additional thoughts on grenade types...

To avoid duplication of effort, as well as to incorporate the "standard" SWU grenade types into the overall list, I'm going to add a few grenades to the list that are not, strictly speaking, a part of the WH40K armory. In particular...
    1) There is mention of Proton Grenades in a few sources, but no clear ideas to what they are. My thinking is to treat them like Fragmentation Grenades, but have them inflict Energy Damage, while Frag Grenades inflict Physical Damage.

2) The Melta-Bomb bears a lot of similarities to the Thermal Detonator, both in function and detonation effect. I expect I'll probably fold the Melta into a re-write of the TD.

3) While WH40K has a Web Gun, it doesn't have a Web Grenade, whereas the SWU has the Glop Grenade, which has a similar effect. I'm thinking strongly of creating my own version here.

4) My view of Concussion Weaponry is that it uses energy to deliver a kinetic effect (ala the Seismic Charges in AotC), either in omni-directional or directional form, depending on the weapon. I'm thinking of folding Concussion Grenades into the Krak Grenades (high damage, low blast radius) to distinguish them from Frag grenades.

5) There's a lot of overlap between the WH40K Grenades and the various Gas Projectiles available to the Caspel Projectile Launcher (ImpSB, pg. 123). A few exceptions are there, though, so I'm going to include them into the overall list (even though there aren't obvious WH40K parallels). In particular...
      Dye Grenade - Used to mark terrain (no obvious effect listed, but I'm thinking of making the dye sensor-reflective, too, enough to provide a Fire Control bonus when shooting at (or trying not to hit) a dye-marked target).

Plank (Corrosive) - Similar to a Choke Grenade, but with a corrosive effect that damages the filters in gas masks.

TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
1) There is mention of Proton Grenades in a few sources, but no clear ideas to what they are. My thinking is to treat them like Fragmentation Grenades, but have them inflict Energy Damage, while Frag Grenades inflict Physical Damage.

I used to play WH40K long, long ago... But I don't recall any Proton Grenades, though I will freely admit that might be a more recent thing. (I stopped caring after 3rd edition)

I do remember Photon Grenades, which were essentially high intensity flash-bangs, with the emphasis on flash, sufficient enough I seem to recall to cause blindness and damage light-sensitive gear.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
I used to play WH40K long, long ago... But I don't recall any Proton Grenades, though I will freely admit that might be a more recent thing. (I stopped caring after 3rd edition)

I'm using mostly 1st-3rd Edition WH40K as a basis for my crossovers, with some details being drawn from later versions if I find something interesting. Proton Grenades are a Star Wars thing, but the more I dig into this, the more I'm inclined to incorporate SWU grenades into a larger list of grenade types. That's why I mentioned them.

Quote:
I do remember Photon Grenades, which were essentially high intensity flash-bangs, with the emphasis on flash, sufficient enough I seem to recall to cause blindness and damage light-sensitive gear.

My initial thought was to incorporate the Photon Grenade into the Slack Grenade I mentioned in the above list. Photon weaponry is quite distinctive, but I'm having serious issues picturing how it would translate over to D6 from a stats perspective.

TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I mostly played 1st edition way back when it as known as WH40K: Rogue Trader... Long before the RPG Rogue Trader was even a thought.

CRMcNeill wrote:

My initial thought was to incorporate the Photon Grenade into the Slack Grenade I mentioned in the above list. Photon weaponry is quite distinctive, but I'm having serious issues picturing how it would translate over to D6 from a stats perspective.

Well the Medical Sourcebook (for want of an official source) has blindness noted as:

Blindness: Difficulty for any vision-based skill or attribute
checks is increased by five Difficulty levels.

Could be temporary blindness for a randomly determined number of rounds, or longer, with anything from increase of one to five difficulty levels.

A successful 'Dodge' assumes they managed to protect their eyes and have a lesser effect. Protection from, say, a Stormtrooper's helmet that has anti-flash/blinding visor provides either full protection, or an increased save?

Just a thought.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
Yeah, I mostly played 1st edition way back when it as known as WH40K: Rogue Trader... Long before the RPG Rogue Trader was even a thought.

Same. First army I ever played were 1E Harlequins against Space Marine Terminators.

Quote:
Blindness: Difficulty for any vision-based skill or attribute
checks is increased by five Difficulty levels.

Seeing as how Perception / Search are aggregates of the character's total sensory input, I'd probably go with the -4D Concealment modifier applied for total darkness, then make it permanent or temporary, depending on how high they roll to resist.

Quote:
Could be temporary blindness for a randomly determined number of rounds, or longer, with anything from increase of one to five difficulty levels.

A successful 'Dodge' assumes they managed to protect their eyes and have a lesser effect. Protection from, say, a Stormtrooper's helmet that has anti-flash/blinding visor provides either full protection, or an increased save?

One of my original hang-ups was how to roll Damage (as in, should it be rolled against Perception or Strength), since the SWU doesn't have saving throws. Seeing as how Strength is the aggregate of a character's ability to resist any damage, this would technically carry over to their optic nerves. Conversely, in the case of an attack directly against the senses, the greater overall sensitivity of a character with high Perception would potentially actually work against them.

I'm just not sure I want to get into that level of detail, though...

TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Same. First army I ever played were 1E Harlequins against Space Marine Terminators.

Space Marines here, Ultramarines.
Then Imperial Guard.
1E was the best IMO, before it became more about being a cash cow than a game.

CRMcNeill wrote:

Seeing as how Perception / Search are aggregates of the character's total sensory input, I'd probably go with the -4D Concealment modifier applied for total darkness, then make it permanent or temporary, depending on how high they roll to resist.

That makes sense to me.

CRMcNeill wrote:

One of my original hang-ups was how to roll Damage (as in, should it be rolled against Perception or Strength), since the SWU doesn't have saving throws. Seeing as how Strength is the aggregate of a character's ability to resist any damage, this would technically carry over to their optic nerves. Conversely, in the case of an attack directly against the senses, the greater overall sensitivity of a character with high Perception would potentially actually work against them.

I'm just not sure I want to get into that level of detail, though...

And now I see your dilemma......
Yeah, I'm not even sure how far to go on that one.
It was never something that was used a lot of anyway if I recall in my experience, many had protection from such things, and in the SW world we could almost assume Stormtroopers would be the main users of at all, because they'd likely be unaffected....

Hmm... Might be one of those things best left on the cutting room floor...

Just my 2 cents.

[Edit]
We all know the Stormtroopers are not shown as effective as they should be in the movies...
Can you imagine how different the initial fight on the Tantive IV in the opening of ANH would have been?
With the Stormtrooper helmets and their MFTAS, and flash protection, a couple of smoke grenades and flash grenades, and the fight would have gone right out of the rebels...

Part of me wants to figure out flash grenades for the impact it could have on my Stormtrooper tactics.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
1E was the best IMO, before it became more about being a cash cow than a game.

It's also the best for conversions, since at that point WH40K was a blend of RPG and tabletop battle game. Later versions have pretty much excised the RPG aspect.

Quote:
And now I see your dilemma......
Yeah, I'm not even sure how far to go on that one.
Quote:
Hmm... Might be one of those things best left on the cutting room floor...

I think you're right. Probably best to just stay with the standard Dodge to avoid the effect / Strength to resist if you can't.

Quote:
It was never something that was used a lot of anyway if I recall in my experience, many had protection from such things, and in the SW world we could almost assume Stormtroopers would be the main users of at all, because they'd likely be unaffected....
Quote:
Can you imagine how different the initial fight on the Tantive IV in the opening of ANH would have been?
With the Stormtrooper helmets and their MFTAS, and flash protection, a couple of smoke grenades and flash grenades, and the fight would have gone right out of the rebels...

Very much so, but that brings up the question of, if these grenades were available, why didn't the Stormtroopers use them in exactly this scenario? The only tech in WH40K that provides total immunity to photon weapons are Auto-Senses (which bypass the character's natural senses entirely), while other methods (photochromatic visors, contacts and eyedrops/injections) only provide a saving throw. Since Stormtrooper armor is equipped with polarized lenses (whose only stated effect is "protects from flash-blinding), I'd probably go with having the armor provide a bonus to resist the flash, as opposed to being totally resistant.

Might also make sense for them to be relatively rare...

Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject: WH40K Vehicles, Conversion, Scope & Scale Reply with quote

Taking WH40K Fluff & making crossover or hybrid content has come to my mind many a time, before & after my Mercenaries campaign, in which i used WH40K races & lore to flesh out the Unknown Regions a bit.

For the most part i was winging it, NPCs were minimalist stats with a focus on play balance. I had some rough guidelines for adapting gear, but fell short of a true conversion system.

Where STAR WARS is Space Opera Fantasy, WH40K is an over-the-top mix of Science Fiction & Gothic Horror. Every unit is a "Technological Terror"...

Focusing on Vehicles, while being mindful of the Scope & Scale of the WH40K universe/setting, here is what i am thinking:
_➣ *ALL* WH40K Vehicles are Walker-scale, with the exception of Bikes which are Speeder-scale.
_➣ Space Marine, Eldar & Necron armor is Speeder-scale. Special Units like Space Marine Dreadnoughts are Walker-scale.
_➣ Converting Point Values can go a couple of ways:
___⧩ Convert Armor & Strength as pips, so Armor 14 = 4D+2.
___◭ Convert Armor & Strength as Whole Dice, so Armor 14 = 14D.
______Considering the Scope & Scale, i am leaning toward the latter.
_➣ Super Heavy Vehicles will be either Starfighter or Capital-scale, and/or have Structure Points, similar to Health Levels.
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: