The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Docking Bay Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Docking Bay Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Docking Bay Question Reply with quote

I'm making a map of a docking bay and using one provided in an adventure as the template (from the Tapani Sector Instant Adventures). And it struck me that there's no big gate or side entrance/exit.

Do you think that some docking bays only allow vertical entrance and exit? This particular map doesn't have much other room (around the spot for a ship to land in the center).

I imagine some freighters can fly and land vertically, but others probably can not. Thoughts?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For land locked ones, such as we saw on tattoine, i'd say they are all vertical access for the ship. Ground access for foot traffic and speeders.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends - docking bay in a ship - or landing bay on a planet?

On the ground - from the top.

In a big ship - from the bottom, maybe the side.

From a REALLY big ship - the side usually.

If you are looking for other maps - just google
docking bay battle map

Will get tons of hits.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Docking Bay Question Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I'm making a map of a docking bay and using one provided in an adventure as the template (from the Tapani Sector Instant Adventures). And it struck me that there's no big gate or side entrance/exit.

Do you think that some docking bays only allow vertical entrance and exit? This particular map doesn't have much other room (around the spot for a ship to land in the center).

I imagine some freighters can fly and land vertically, but others probably can not. Thoughts?

If the docking bay is on the ground and it is for air or spaceships, then yes it could be that the only large access to the bay is vertical. Repulsorlift tech is ubiquitous, making all ships that have it essentially VTOL craft.

For those rare cases where a ship makes it into the vertical-entrance docking bay but breaks down and can't repulsor out on its own power, then tractor beam tech also exists so there could be a "towship" that would move it.

Even if the ship in the bay needs big parts delivered, those could be dropped down into the bay from above. There wouldn't necessarily need to be any large side-access to the bay, but if you think there should be then you could always add that.

The idea of CTOL/HOTL craft does not seem very Star Wars to me, and I can't recall ever seeing that in the franchise. But those could exist somewhere in the Star Wars galaxy, perhaps on more primitive worlds. They would accordingly use something closer to hangers near landing/takeoff strips, like plane airports have on Earth.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, guys. I should have clarified that it is a planetary docking bay.

I always thought X-wings and Y-wings would often do more conventional take-offs from a longer runway. But yeah, most stuff can go vertical. And it does make sense with repulsorlift tech that it would be the typical way of spacecraft doing things.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking up some images from the Yavin 4 arena in Star Wars Battlefront 2 could be useful for you. It is set in and around the ruins on Yavin 4 with some hangars that have great side openings as well as an expansive landing field area for larger ships. There's also a hangar on the Hoth arena. Of course also on the Death Star arena.

Some of the images in these searches might be helpful references for making your own maps. As other's have said though, most vessels have some for of repulsorlifts in addition to their primary drive engines, so having only open roofed ground hangars is not problematic. Some may even have tractor beam array towers to aide and guide ships in or out. I think only Airspeeders may require longer taxi distances, and even that is likely only on lower tech worlds.

Edit- tried yo link directly to search results with useful images, but the forums did not like it. My search terms were Battlefront 2 Yavin, Battlefront 2 Hoth, and Battlefront 2 Death Star using DuckDuckGo.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Thanks for the input, guys. I should have clarified that it is a planetary docking bay.

I always thought X-wings and Y-wings would often do more conventional take-offs from a longer runway. But yeah, most stuff can go vertical. And it does make sense with repulsorlift tech that it would be the typical way of spacecraft doing things.

Watch rogue 1, a new hope, or even the force awakens. Not once did we see any fighter taking off from what we would call a runway..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Looking up some images from the Yavin 4 arena in Star Wars Battlefront 2 could be useful for you. It is set in and around the ruins on Yavin 4 with some hangars that have great side openings as well as an expansive landing field area for larger ships...

Yeah, my son has all of the Battlefronts and I've played on Yavin and the other places. Even in the landing field, ships still take off and land vertically. Hangers with huge side entrances can still have ships slowly float in and out of them...

garhkal wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:

Watch rogue 1, a new hope, or even the force awakens. Not once did we see any fighter taking off from what we would call a runway..

That, and X-wings and Y-wings do not have wheeled landing gear. See this clip from ANH. Luke's X-wing takes off takes off vertically while slowly turning to orient his ship (towards the hanger opening so he can fly out of it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtlV_ieJazc&t=14s
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This info was really helpful and I designed my own small spaceport, with most docking bays only accessible from above. I made one larger hanger with above and side entrances that could be used by many ships, but most are for single ships and only have top entrances.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: