The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules for Flame Weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Rules for Flame Weapons Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Rules for Flame Weapons Reply with quote

So, I'm trying to work out realistic rules for flame weapons. The way I'm currently leaning, flame weapons have a base damage, and if a successful attack results in a wound, the target catches fire, inflicting an automatic attack at the same damage of the initial attack until the target is killed or the fire is extinguished. However, I'm hitting a wall on a few issues:

-With regards to affecting characters with armor, should a flamer count as a projectile weapon, or an energy weapon because of the thermal energy, or as something else entirely?

-Due to biological concerns, some creatures (such as Wookiees, with their full-body hair) would be more vulnerable to flame weapons that their Strength dice would suggest. What would be some realistic factors to increase or decrease damage to reflect a species being more resistant to flame attacks

-What are some possible rules for characters putting out the flames? Normal fires should obviously be easier to put out as opposed to a concentrated accelerant like napalm or something, but what else should apply?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back i posted a new flamethrower unit i made up for a WW2 esque napalm like flamer unit, here is the link
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1042&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=flame&start=15

Its the 4th post down the 2nd page.

I also prior questioned whether flamers would be phys or energy.. of the 8 or so responses i got, most said energy.

On the putting it out, that would (for me) Depend on whether they are using their hands to pat it out. Stop'drop'n'rolliing, or something else.
The stop drop and roll, would imo be a dex check. Not sure for say using a blanket to smash it out (like we see them do in westerns/medieval films)..

For wookies (and other hairy) critters, have it just do a +d damage. based on how much fur they have.
Wookies, tiranni, torgorians, s***, defel and Whiphids would all be at least +1d, maybe even +2d.
Bothans may only be +2 pips.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. Some great ideas in there.

As far as area effect, rather than going with blast radius, I was thinking about simply allowing an automatic additional attack against a nearby target, with the number of possible additional attacks based on the target's range (and the resulting spread of the shot from the nozzle).

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the variety of species in Star Wars and the possibility that Wookiee hair (or whatever) may not be particularly flammable due to some weird chemical quirk (or any number of fluff reasons) I'd leave the damage static unless the species is noted to have a vulnerability to fire or the like.

Otherwise you're going to have to keep track of which player wears polyester or other flammable clothing just to keep things even.

Best not to have a player with an interest in chemistry attempting to argue that species XYZ should actually be less vulnerable to fire so just keep the damage the same.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is definitely something to be said for that as well. Of course, the flip-side is that, as tough as Wookiees are, giving them a vulnerability to flame would make them vulnerable to a specific weapon type, especially when they can shrug off others so easily.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure but it is a vulnerability that isn't listed in any source so if that was sprung on me as a player I'd feel somewhat put out.

I'm all for having things make sense logically and having the wookiee who travels through the jungle get covered in burs or even have them get fleas but it seems a bit much to assume that wookiee fur burns just as well as human hair.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Sure but it is a vulnerability that isn't listed in any source so if that was sprung on me as a player I'd feel somewhat put out.

My only issue is that fire damage is not something covered in detail in any of the Star Wars D6 rulebooks. When coming up with rules for this, we are flying blind. I can't think of a single instance where the hair on a carbon-based lifeform wasn't combustible, or a contributing factor to fire damage.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only have a sample size of one planet. Every carbon based creature we have tested flamibility on comes from Earth but in Star Wars this isn't true.

There is no reason that Wookies couldn't have damp hair all year round or sweat some sort of chemical that acts as a fire retardant because it also repels mosquitos on Kashyyk. Given the number of unknowns I tend towards not adding damage.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
We only have a sample size of one planet. Every carbon based creature we have tested flamibility on comes from Earth but in Star Wars this isn't true.

There is no reason that Wookies couldn't have damp hair all year round or sweat some sort of chemical that acts as a fire retardant because it also repels mosquitos on Kashyyk. Given the number of unknowns I tend towards not adding damage.

So, in essence, you are saying that, while the vast majority of the available sample here on Earth supports the idea that hair is inherently flammable, because there is the theoretical possibility that a given species in the SWU may have some sort of fire-resistant hair, all species should be treated as though their hair is not flammable, even though the available sample here on Earth overwhelmingly suggests otherwise? I think you and I are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. IMO, a more realistic rule would be to apply a rule that fur-bearing creatures are inherently more vulnerable to fire-based damage, with the exceptions (Wookiees, if that is your preference) being noted specifically in their species stats.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essentially all hair on earth is made of keratin which if a quick Google search is to be believed is composed of approximately 51% carbon, 21% oxygen, 17% nitrogen, 6% hydrogen, and 5% sulfur.

If all species in the universe had the same chemical makeup for hair then hair would always burn well but I just find it hard to believe that species with no root ancestor or even common planet are going to have the same chemical makup and biological quirks. Especially since you see Wookiees get shot by blasters (which have caused small fires in other films) and they do not catch fire.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Essentially all hair on earth is made of keratin which if a quick Google search is to be believed is composed of approximately 51% carbon, 21% oxygen, 17% nitrogen, 6% hydrogen, and 5% sulfur.

If all species in the universe had the same chemical makeup for hair then hair would always burn well but I just find it hard to believe that species with no root ancestor or even common planet are going to have the same chemical makup and biological quirks. Especially since you see Wookiees get shot by blasters (which have caused small fires in other films) and they do not catch fire.

Esoomian wrote:
Best not to have a player with an interest in chemistry attempting to argue that species XYZ should actually be less vulnerable to fire so just keep the damage the same.

Irony, thy home is the Rancor Pit. Sorry, but I just couldn't help it.

I find it a far more likely possibility that, with a few exceptions, hair is hair, and it burns like hair.

jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, moving past the hair issue....
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

What were we talking about again?

jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

Wait, I'm all but bald, sooooo finally a benefit for being follicly challenged Very Happy

Now to throw another fly in the ointment ... don't forget about fire taking away your breath and searing your lungs etc

On a deployment a mortar hit a vehicle I was danger close to and it caught on fire ... and went up in a huge fire ball (luckily no spare rounds or explosives were on it or it would have been worse). Now before that I 'knew' what fire could do in heating the air and sucking your breath away ... after that, I KNOW how damaging and scary it is!!!

I don't know how your rule that maybe a dex roll to get below the heat wave, or a willpower roll to push through the heat wave and keep moving (of course a sealed armor/face mask will protect against that)

Forgive all spelling errors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: