The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules for Silenced Weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Rules for Silenced Weapons Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Rules for Silenced Weapons Reply with quote

So, since there are no concrete rules for rolling Perception vs. Silent Weapons, how do you house rule this? I know Rules of Engagement has some basic ideas, but nothing seems to fit well. Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be a distance to the thing, since any suppressed weapon, no matter the quality, will be un-hearable at a certain distance.

So I think you need ranges, maybe like E/M/VD 2-5/12/25 or something (anything point blank would be Very Easy).

Other than that.... (scratches head)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
There must be a distance to the thing, since any suppressed weapon, no matter the quality, will be un-hearable at a certain distance.

So I think you need ranges, maybe like E/M/VD 2-5/12/25 or something (anything point blank would be Very Easy).

Other than that.... (scratches head)

In RoE, the various silent weapons reference a modifier to the Perception / Search difficulty required to detect the firing of a silenced weapon, but I can't recall ever reading anything else on the subject. Perhaps the base difficulty to detect the firing signature of a weapon could be equal to the To Hit difficulty, based on the range bracket, with difficult modifiers based on how silent the weapon is.

jmanski

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spitball me some numbers, I'm not quite sure I follow completely.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Spitball me some numbers, I'm not quite sure I follow completely.

I think I was thinking parallel to you, but basing the range to detect on the weapon's range.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best RAW treatment on silencers is in RoE on pages 62-63, and offers the following:

"Firearms are not as powerful as blasters and lack range, but have the added advantage that they can be silenced, while a blaster cannot. Without a silencer, a firearm is very loud and can be heard for several hundred meters under ideal conditions."

"Merr-Sonn Silencer: Absorbs the sound of a firearm, preventing the need for a Perception check when fired."

"Silenced Slugthrower: Makes very little noise, adding only +1 to opponent's Search."

"Air Gun: Makes very little noise, adding only +2 to opponent's Search to detect."

The general impressions I get is that WEG wrote up stats that paid lip service to the idea of stealthy weapons fire, without actually providing functioning rules for using them in a game.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who loves using silencers on slug throwers for my PCs, most GMs i have played under with them have only given someone a Perception check to notice my firing it if within 20 meters.. otherwise they are too far away to here anything. Of the difficulties, most have hovered around 13-16.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
As someone who loves using silencers on slug throwers for my PCs, most GMs i have played under with them have only given someone a Perception check to notice my firing it if within 20 meters.. otherwise they are too far away to here anything. Of the difficulties, most have hovered around 13-16.

That sounds much simpler. Maybe a flat difficulty of 15, which is then modified by the silencing factor of the weapon itself, so that the character gets a +1 or +2 bonus to detect the shot.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Most modern firearms' suppressed report is over 100db. That's awfully easy to hear at 20m. I can accept, though, that Star Wars suppressors could be much better. Active noise canceling could even produce true silencers...

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Most modern firearms' suppressed report is over 100db. That's awfully easy to hear at 20m. I can accept, though, that Star Wars suppressors could be much better. Active noise canceling could even produce true silencers...

The stat for a dedicated add-on silencer says that eliminates the Perception check entirely, so perhaps there is some active dampening involved. For the others, not all of the silenced weapons in RoE are guns the way we think of them; some are more like airsoft / paintball, while others use bowstrings or coiled springs to generate kinetic energy.

jmanski

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the actual firing doesn't make the bulk of the noise, it's the sonic boom of the projectile. Subsonic rounds (low damage) can be silenced effectively, but anything worth shooting can't.

But that's science, and science can be a real bummer.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
But the actual firing doesn't make the bulk of the noise, it's the sonic boom of the projectile. Subsonic rounds (low damage) can be silenced effectively, but anything worth shooting can't.

True, and that's why the most effective silenced weapons listed in RoE are the silenced pistols. I'm currently working on some Warhammer tech stats, and one of those is a gyro-jet bolt shell that allows a silenced round to maintain velocity at range by using a compressed gas drive to keep the round traveling at longer firing distances.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
But the actual firing doesn't make the bulk of the noise, it's the sonic boom of the projectile.
Hence the active noise canceling.
jmanski wrote:
Subsonic rounds (low damage) can be silenced effectively, but anything worth shooting can't.

.458 SOCOM is worth shooting, which is saying something 'cause it's expensive!

I completely agree with the core of what you're saying as pertains to the real world. Just remember a few fictional elements like force fields and such can turn the tables on science if you want to allow it in your game.

Complete Starship Construction System
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Where you getting that figure from? Having been at a range in iraq where we had people on the line shooting the M16/M4, as well as H&K MP5s as well as the silenced versions, i can tell ya someone standing 9 rows away with a regular MP5 was heard a lot easier than someone 2 lanes over with a silenced mp5.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it would be better to say that pistol or machine-pistol sized weapons can be silenced, while larger rifle and carbine scale slugthrowers can only be suppressed? My understanding is that a suppressed rifle shot can still be detected as such, just at a much shorter range, and that it is difficult to locate the source of the shot even if you do hear it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: