The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sustained Fire Weaponry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Sustained Fire Weaponry Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
I don't see how hitting a target for damage one round would make a target easier to hit the next round.
Because the weapon begins the round on target.

That might be true if a sustained fire weapon could only be used on a stationary target. If the target is mobile, and able to dodge even after being hit, he would not be easier to hit just because he got hit last round.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a watch of most ST space battles.. In them their phasers are continual beam (well on the federation ships) and DO seem to track better to their target.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Take a watch of most ST space battles.. In them their phasers are continual beam (well on the federation ships) and DO seem to track better to their target.

IMO, that's more a function of excellent fire control. I stated my concept for auto-blasters in another topic, where internal auto-aim systems fine-tune the firing solution the longer the gunner engages the same target, and I would apply something similar to explain your example; as the beam weapon hits the target, auto-aim systems fine-tune the shot for even better accuracy. What I'm looking for here is better expressed by adding to damage as a result of extended duration transfer of energy.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
That might be true if a sustained fire weapon could only be used on a stationary target. If the target is mobile, and able to dodge even after being hit, he would not be easier to hit just because he got hit last round.
I disagree. Smile

Complete Starship Construction System
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it get easier to hit a target repeatedly, then perhaps it should be harder to hit in the first place to keep the balance.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I disagree. Smile

Well, at least we can agree on something, even if it is only that we disagree with each other. Wink

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
If it get easier to hit a target repeatedly, then perhaps it should be harder to hit in the first place to keep the balance.

I'm not just thinking about close combat stuff like lightsabers and vibro-weapons, I'm also thinking ranged weapons like flamers and beam weapons. If a creature were to get hit by one of these, the instinctive reaction would be to Dodge out of the way of whatever is hitting you. If the target is incapable of movement, I would be willing to consider making it easier to hit the target, but that will not always be the case under this rule. If anything, a moving target would actually be harder to hit after getting hit the first round.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. Remember, targets really don't dodge blasters and other high velocity, quick firing missile weapons. They just move to make themselves a harder target.

Once somebody manages to get a hit, he can probably get several more shots on target before said target could react to being hit and move much. It's like trying to beat someone to the shot who "has the drop on you". One guy has to move a lot, whiel the other only has to press the trigger.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Remember, targets really don't dodge blasters and other high velocity, quick firing missile weapons. They just move to make themselves a harder target.

Exactly. Anyone who gets hit is not going to slow down and move less just to make themselves easier to hit. It's an instinctive reaction to twist around or make some sort of move to get away from the source of whatever is hurting you, so if anything, the two would cancel each other out and it would be just as hard to hit again the next round as it was to make the initial hit this round.

Quote:
Once somebody manages to get a hit, he can probably get several more shots on target before said target could react to being hit and move much. It's like trying to beat someone to the shot who "has the drop on you". One guy has to move a lot, whiel the other only has to press the trigger.

That's what we have auto-fire house rules for. This is a rule to express continuous-beam/stream weaponry that can inflict continuous damage over the course of several rounds, so that damage increases as the weapon applies more and more energy. So, unless the target can't move, the shooter still has to try to hit him the next round, as he will keep dodging and trying to avoid being damaged.

Anyway, its a moot point. If you want to do it that way, fine, but I think the in-game effect I am trying to represent is better suited to increasing damage over time, and no one has successfully explained why an increase to accuracy would be more appropriate.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump because it came up in another thread. I still want to include the idea of cumulative damage for continuous-stream weaponry like flamethrowers or beam weapons, but I'm struggling somewhat as to how to cap it. The amount of cumulative damage needs to plateau at some point, or else the weapon will scale up to ridiculous levels of damage very quickly. The most obvious solution would be to apply the x2 = +1D method I used for my alternate Coordination Bonus Chart, so the progression would look something like so:
    Consecutive Rounds = Damage Bonus
    1 = +0D
    2 = +1D
    3 = +1D+2
    4 = +2D
    5-6 = +2D+1

and so on...
So, it would take a minute or so of constant application to achieve a Damage Bonus of 3D+1, another minute to make +4D+1, etc.

I could also do a cleaner variant where I break the bonuses down into clearer segments, such as going to minutes, then hours needed to move up to the next "step" of Damage bonus (with the number of rounds in parenthesis).

I'm partial to this because it gives a clear advantage to sustained application of damaged (as from a lightsaber, a plasma torch, etc) over the course of several rounds.

Thoughts?

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about bumping the damage roll based on how much over the required number the attack roll is?

This would correspond with keeping the beam on target longer.

Then you're doing more cumulative damage, intrinsically, IF you can keep the beam on the target consecutively round after round.
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I generally use a system based on the capital guns table, where the number of continuous rounds is used as the "number of guns" and just apply the bonus. I also use die caps though, so this might need adjustment if you use the "more dice" method of scale instead.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Giving this a bump because it came up in another thread. I still want to include the idea of cumulative damage for continuous-stream weaponry like flamethrowers or beam weapons, but I'm struggling somewhat as to how to cap it. The amount of cumulative damage needs to plateau at some point, or else the weapon will scale up to ridiculous levels of damage very quickly. The most obvious solution would be to apply the x2 = +1D method I used for my alternate Coordination Bonus Chart, so the progression would look something like so:
    Consecutive Rounds = Damage Bonus
    1 = +0D
    2 = +1D
    3 = +1D+2
    4 = +2D
    5-6 = +2D+1

and so on...
So, it would take a minute or so of constant application to achieve a Damage Bonus of 3D+1, another minute to make +4D+1, etc.

I could also do a cleaner variant where I break the bonuses down into clearer segments, such as going to minutes, then hours needed to move up to the next "step" of Damage bonus (with the number of rounds in parenthesis).

I'm partial to this because it gives a clear advantage to sustained application of damaged (as from a lightsaber, a plasma torch, etc) over the course of several rounds.

Thoughts?

How's about the damage get's capped at say 4d above base?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
What about bumping the damage roll based on how much over the required number the attack roll is?

This would correspond with keeping the beam on target longer.

Then you're doing more cumulative damage, intrinsically, IF you can keep the beam on the target consecutively round after round.

This would stack with that, as precise "shot" placement compounded over multiple rounds would stack damage even further. I already use a rule where the shooter gets a +1 to Damage for every 3 points of success on the Gunnery roll (this can be applied to Melee and Brawling attacks, as well).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: