The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cybernetic Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Cybernetic Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Cybernetic Question Reply with quote

I have been looking into cybernetics and prostetics from the books.
I came across this thing called CYBER POINTS, and I was wondering what if any was the effect of these cyber points, and if there is a threshold.

I can not recall if this is offical WEG, or something houseruled at sometime, but I seem to recall that there were some rules about cybernetics and the force, as well as a threshold for cyber points, and that some or all cyber points would count toveards either gaining darkside points or become darkside points.

as in Luke's hand either giving him 1 DSP or the cyber point adding +1 ro his rolls when determing if he gats a DSP (when not using powers that give and automatic DSP)

So are there any rules really on this, and if not maybe some should be crafted as I can see how a fully cybered up character can easily be a little bit too much to say the least.

I do however feel a need for any such rule clarification, mainly due to a possible leg replacement in a campaign.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From page 5 of Crackens Rebel field guide..

Quote:
Temptation of Evil
The use of prosthetics is especially dangerous to those who believe in and use the Force. The unnatural combination of man and machine makes tapping the Force harder, but also opens the person to the temptations of the Dark Side once the Force has been called upon.
Each prosthetic has a set number of cyber points.
When a character calls upon the Force, he must roll a die. If the number is higher than the character's total cyber points, the Force may be used as described in the game. If the roll is equal to or lower than the point total, the character cannot use the Force.
Characters with any cyber points receive double the normal amount of Dark Side points.

So if Jimbo, has 3 cyber points, if he tries to call on the force (spend a force point), if he rolls 3 or under, he can't spend the force point. IF he rolls 4 or over, he can.
IF Jimbo is a force user, and he does something to earn a DSP, he gets 2 instead..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cybernetic Question. Reply with quote

Cracken's Rebel Field Guide and "cyber points" are 1e. Those cybernetics rules were replaced by Fantastic Technology for 2e, which doesn't have cyber points.

This thread seems more about general cybernetics rules than it is about the tech. Is this an Official Rules question? If so, Fantastic Technology is your answer and I will move this thread to Official Rules. Or is this an inquiry into installing 1e cyber points rules for 2e? If so I will move this to House Rules. Or is this a 1e question? If so I will move this thread to the 1e/IAG forum. Please advise. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cybernetic Question. Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Cracken's Rebel Field Guide and "cyber points" are 1e. Those cybernetics rules were replaced by Fantastic Technology for 2e, which doesn't have cyber points.

This thread seems more about general cybernetics rules than it is about the tech. Is this an Official Rules question? If so, Fantastic Technology is your answer and I will move this thread to Official Rules. Or is this an inquiry into installing 1e cyber points rules for 2e? If so I will move this to House Rules. Or is this a 1e question? If so I will move this thread to the 1e/IAG forum. Please advise. Thanks.

Maybe hiuse rule tab is more fitting.
yes I wonder how cyber points inpact if any the force.
what is the cap if any in Cyber Points.
how does Cyber Point influence DSP Gain and the like
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galadiniums said similar for the DSP issue. BUT it had NO info on Cyber points effects on force point spending, or force power use..
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running a group with a character who has the Title Chief of Cybernetics and Automation. He has a number of cybernetic enhancements, is linked to an ID-9 Seeker droid, and is running a program to try to develop the ultimate super warrior as a combination of living being and machine. I am working on house rules to represent the dark side of Cybernetics and not in the Force kind of way. Without side effects, why wouldn't everyone just get cybernetic mods for everything? I will let you know when it comes together more. I would be interested if anyone else has come up with any Cybernetic House Rules.

Last edited by Dr. Bidlo on Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am leaning toward keeping the concept of Cyber Points (ideally unchanged from any cybernetic enhancements from official sources, such as Craken's Rebel Field Guide, to minimise special tables and confusion. Those Cyber Points would imposing difficulty modifiers to certain Perception skills such as bargain, command, con, persuasion, and maybe gambling to reflect beings being uneasy with people with too many cybernetic enhancements. Similarly, I may grant value as a bonus to intimidation instead of a penalty. You could argue that the cyborg might get a bonus to command instead of a penalty because of the fear they generate, so there might be a caveate based on the conditions of the command and those being commanded.

Thoughts from anyone on this general approach?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I am leaning toward keeping the concept of Cyber Points (ideally unchanged from any cybernetic enhancements from official sources, such as Craken's Rebel Field Guide, to minimise special tables and confusion. Those Cyber Points would imposing difficulty modifiers to certain Perception skills such as bargain, command, con, persuasion, and maybe gambling to reflect beings being uneasy with people with too many cybernetic enhancements. Similarly, I may grant value as a bonus to intimidation instead of a penalty. You could argue that the cyborg might get a bonus to command instead of a penalty because of the fear they generate, so there might be a caveate based on the conditions of the command and those being commanded.

I think this makes a lot of sense, I would not trust gambling against a "computer" and yes a half droid face would scare most people even if not intentional.

How do you think about a max Cyber Point Cap, I could not find a max cap, and what is your thoughts on how this would influence force use, if any at all.

I am leaning towards cyberpoints having zero impact on the force, neither as a higher chance to get DSP or giving any significant or any at all penalty to any powers.
I came to that conclusion with nothing indicates luke being any weaker with his cyvernetic hand, and with the legends existence of the crystal shard species and their "iron knight" droid bodies which allowe them to move and be basically jedi droid, a cyborg imo would also flow through the force "normally".
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the original Cyber Point rule was a forced (pardon the pun) attempt to explain Kenobi's statement from ANH about Darth Vader being more machine now than man, twisted and evil. Being machine is not what made him evil, but perhaps that is more my opinion... either way, the Cyber Point rules imposed no real restriction on 99.9% of the characters, I would assume.

I like the idea of in imposing a difficulty level penalty to the listed Perception skills for every 2 or 3 Cyber Points. I am leaning towards 3 because it allows a character to get about one cybernetic mod (short of full on Lobot style cyborging) before suffering penalties.

Applying this to your OP, a character getting a prosthestic leg replacement would gain only one Cyber Point (per Craken's Rebel Field Guide) so would suffer no negative effects from it. Now if he ALSO had a RIMPACK (2 Cyber Points), he would start to suffer those penalties.

However, the problem I see with my initial idea is that all of these skills are resisted with opposed rolls, so perhaps a flat penalty should be taken by the cyborg (or bonus to the opposing character) when rolling these opposed skill tests.

I also agree that Cyber Points should have no bearing on the Force.

Last edited by Dr. Bidlo on Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also add the following:

Any prosthetic replacement that is fashioned to appear natural gives only 1 Cyper Point (no changes to the RAW) but replacements that make no attempt to appear natural give an additional Cyber Point.

With a threshold of 3 Cyper Points per penalty, a person with a fully metallic, non-camoflauged leg still suffers no penalties. This seems appropriate because the loss of a limb or body part should not be a concern for anyone. However, if combined with any other cybernetic enhancements, it would start to impose penalties, as personal biases and prejudices start to come to the surface as more modifications are noticed.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:

I could see it enhancing someone's Command, or bargain/persuasion roll, for fellow military, as they may see the cybered person, as a vet, who deserves respect... BUT it imo wouldn't help with say commanding techies to work harder, or getting a group of folks to repair stuff faster..

Mamatried wrote:

How do you think about a max Cyber Point Cap, I could not find a max cap, and what is your thoughts on how this would influence force use, if any at all.

I kind of like how shadowrun had it, where everyone has 6 essence so to speak, and each cyber dropped it down.. BUT you couldn't go below 0. So you could max out with six points worth of stuff...

Mamatried wrote:

I am leaning towards cyberpoints having zero impact on the force, neither as a higher chance to get DSP or giving any significant or any at all penalty to any powers.

THere imo, needs to be SOME sort of impact, from cyber, on force.. Even if its just impacting force POINT spending...
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are good comments. I updated the character sheet for my player with cybernetic enhancements (an eye and a neuroshock hand) so I took a stab at writing the rule down. Instead of trying to spell out every condition, I wrote that for every three Cyber Points the character at the GM's discretion, may suffer a penalty or bonus of one difficulty level to those opposed Perception tests based on the attitude toward cybernetics of the opposing character. And, finally, I noted that characters also suffer the same penalty when using force skills that do not give them a dark side Point or when calling upon the dark side of the force.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a suggestion form a firned, and this was basically a -1 pip pr CYber point, upto max 6 pts, at a -6 penalty, this is the penaly given when the character calls on the force.

and every 6 Cyber point, aka when maxed out, it gives an addtional -1pip (or -2) to all force use.

And finally when using the force point and calling on the force wich doubles your alloted dice. here the Cyber points will give give a -2 pip pr Cyber point, for a max of -2D tot the total.

a character with 5D in the relevant skill/attribute/power use a force point and rolls a staggering 10D
His penalties for his cyver points which are a total of 3 cyber points, gives him a -1D to his force dice pool, making the 10D into 9D

becuse he has 3 cyber points, he will now suffer a a total of a -3 to his checks. when he has 4 oints this is raised to a -4
these penalties are added last and applied to the roll.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I need to re-read your proposed penalty to the Force for Cyber Points a few times. I must admit that I have not played or GMed a Force user since the 1990's, so I am not up to speed on the Force at all. I have purposely avoided it because it was such a flawed system and I just have not gotten into the various homebrews to fix it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: