The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Conveyor Landing Barge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Conveyor Landing Barge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Conveyor Landing Barge Reply with quote

Here is another design from my home games, after looking at the cannon designs to land troops I came up with this design to deliver a battalion of troops and some cargo to a fairly warm landing zone but not a hot LZ, if the landing zone is under attack when this ship lands you will most likely lose all or most of your troops before they can get established.

As Always

Quote:
Some slight changes from cannon mainly I'm using a change to the scaling system suggested by crmcneill with a few changes.

The fluff is tweaked to fit my home campaign setting but is easily ignored.

Ship prices are based on the construction system by Fallon Kell with tweaks made to he weapon construction system from atgxtg as well.

SFS Conveyor Landing Barge

In need of a landing barge for use with their Invader troop cruiser 418 variant and finding most ones currently in Imperial service lacking in one way or another, they decided to try designing one specifically for their use.

While not fast or heavily armed it is well protected and able to deliver a battalion of troops and their equipment into a hostile landing zone. The ungainly boxy design has minimal rounding on the corners of the cargo area. While it has two folding wings like the lambda and Sentinel shuttles it draws it heritage and some parts from, it's tail is is short and stumpy in deference to the overhead clearances in most hangar bays.

The sensor were taken from their existing Sentinel Landing Craft along with it cockpit module and the Double Laser cannons from a TIE Interceptor.

The long squat box of the cargo area is bracketed by the two engine compartments and systems bays. Troops are housed on an upper deck, there are four compartments two either side of a central hallways each able to hold a full company of troops and their support personnel in seated rows of crash resistant seating.

Troops disembark down a ramp leading to the main cargo deck beneath, this deck can be configured to hold either repulsorlift vehicles or small walkers, due to the height of the bay AT-AT walkers can not be carried.
Embarked units can then disembark via one of three hatches, troops and small vehicles can disembark via a small hatch on each side while larger vehicles must disembark via the large aft hatch that spans the entire width of the bay.

Craft: Sienar Fleet Systems' Conveyor Landing Barge
Type: Landing Barge
Scale: Starship
Length: 60 m
Skill: Space Transport Piloting; Conveyor
Cost: 607,700
Crew: 16, Gunners: 2, Skeleton: 4/+10
[b]Passengers: 1000
Cargo Capacity: 2000 tons
Consumables: 1 week
Hyperdrive Multiplier: none
Hyper Backup: none
Nav Computer: No
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 7
Atmosphere: 350; 1,000 kmh
Hull: 5D
Shields: 3D
Sensors:
Passive: 20/0D
Scan: 40/1D
Search: 80/2D
Focus: 4/2D+2

Weapons
2 Double Laser Cannons
Scale: Starfighter
Fire arc: 2 Front
Crew: 1
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire control: 2D
Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere: 100-300/1.2/2.5km
Damage: 5D

Small craft
None
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000 troops in full kit packed into a ship 60 meters long? Where do I sign up for that trip?
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60m long and about 60m wide I see it as a big box with wings and engines. Tight packed but literally design to do orbit to surface runs and not any long distance hauling.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Ginzain wrote:
1000 troops in full kit packed into a ship 60 meters long? Where do I sign up for that trip?

In real life I've thought that (well it was a 'Why did" instead of a 'where do') many times. Unless you have deployed in the military, it is hard to picture just how uncomfortable you can be on long flights with a metric ton of people jammed into a little metal tube flying through the air.

On jumps, with a full combat load out, you would be so tightly packed that the air crew would walk back and forth on the rucks (in our laps) and stand on our shoulders or head to do some of the checks. On deployments it wasn't much better ... there is nothing like trying to sleep on an 9+ hour flight with a Lt Commander literally drooling on one of your shoulders and a chief leaned against the other. Both of them snoring like a chain saw ... SO yeah, discomfort for long flights is realistic.

I'd have to check the math to see if they could fit (figure a 2 1/2' sq per person and see how much room it would take). But, the lack of comfort if they do fit (and take up every inch of space) is realistic.

Forgive all spelling errors.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildfire wrote:
60m long and about 60m wide I see it as a big box with wings and engines. Tight packed but literally design to do orbit to surface runs and not any long distance hauling.

In a universe with repulsorlift, why bother with wings?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maneuverability and common heritage with lambda and sentinel shuttles.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because its Star Wars and wings look freakin cool. Things in the SWU do not need to make sense. Its a pulp universe. As long as it looks cool and does what you want, the rest is just math. Who needs math!
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind survivability. If a repulsorlift brick gets ionized, there's nosafely landing it. If a lift designed craft gets ionized, it still can glide for a bit, dramatically increasing a safish landing.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, by heritage with Lambda shuttles, you mean that the wings on this thing fold? I can live with that.

Wings may look cool, but that does not by any means make them practical. AFAIAC, if you design something that looks cool, but can't feasibly perform the job required of it, then cool turns into stupid. YMMV.

Also, wings do not equal aerodynamics or stability. Wings on modern aircraft are shaped to provide lift; not so for ships like the X-Wing and the Lambda. Their wings may serve a practical purpose (I've always theorized that starship maneuvering in the SWU is accomplished via powerful gravity "slopes", so having the g-field generators be mounted in wings accomplishes both the looks cool and practical, too, rules), but an X-Wing or Lambda getting ionized in atmosphere just becomes a brick with wings. The wings have no control surfaces, and they aren't shaped to produce lift.

wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep the wings fold up when it lands like the lambda shuttles.

I always played that some of the maneuvering equipment is mounts in the wings of the lambda, not flaps or aerilons but thruster or replusor grids to aid its maneuvers.

It a visual thing rather than anything that makes sense Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the films, winged ships seem to be almost exclusively hyperdrive equipped, though...

wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, though it makes no sense for the barge to be hyperdrive equipped Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildfire wrote:
Aye, though it makes no sense for the barge to be hyperdrive equipped Smile

Indeed. And considering that EU evidence doesn't necessarily require barges to be winged to make planetary landings, I might argue that the wings aren't strictly necessary either. If nothing else, having such a prominently displayed piece of the drive system as a target for starfighters and air defense weaponry would make the barge more vulnerable. We've been discussing maximum dimensions for landing barges under another topic, and I've reached the conclusion (for myself) that the ideal shape for a landing barge is something like the Aegis-Class Combat Shuttle, only much larger. Apparently, a surprisingly large number of troops can be crammed into relatively small spaces if passenger comfort isn't an issue.

wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not far from what I had envisioned, though I think we are going to have to disagree on the wings, as I think they help make the design different and show it's heritage even if they aren't practical.

Hence the line about hot LZ's being death traps for these craft, you have to first suppress the defenders air defences and troops near the LZ before it can land safely, a battalion transport shouldn't be securing a LZ anyway Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Conveyor Landing Barge Reply with quote

After due consideration...

wildfire wrote:
While not fast or heavily armed
But Space 7 is pretty fast. 7 makes it faster than a B-Wing or a TIE Bomber. Plus, since you are already emphasizing the Lambda / Sentinel resemblance, why bother with the laser cannon off the Interceptor when you can pull the laser cannon from the Sentinel? And why have them fixed forward? Defensive weaponry should be turret mounted so it can defend against attacks from all arcs.

Quote:
Embarked units can then disembark via one of three hatches, troops and small vehicles can disembark via a small hatch on each side while larger vehicles must disembark via the large aft hatch that spans the entire width of the bay.
So the vehicles are disembarking directly by the engines? A rear ramp hatch works well for modern cargo aircraft, but that's partly because the engines are mounted out on the wings. I would think a bow hatch under a high-mounted cockpit would be a better fit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: