The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sci-Fi Archery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Sci-Fi Archery Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Sci-Fi Archery Reply with quote

So, I'm starting a new campaign with an old friend who just moved back into town after being gone for a decade or more. The other two players are my friend's daughter, and a friend of his who used to play D6 Star Wars, but hasn't in a while. The daughter has made up a Big Game Hunter for her character, and since she loves the movie Brave, she wants her character to use a bow. I have no problem with that, but I would like to offer her some upgrade options for making her bow more advanced, and a better fit for a sci-fi setting. I'm working on stats at the moment, but here are some ideas I'm considering:

1) IIRC, a bow's damage and effective range are dependent on the strength of the bow's pull (i.e. the more pressure it takes to pull the string back to firing position, the farther the arrow will go, and the more damage it will inflict on impact). Based on my research, I've found that modern compound bows have an effective range (meaning that's how far they can be expected to hit for lethal damage) of about 40-60 yards, depending on the pull. This brings up some questions:
    -Should a bow have a range greater than the effective range, but at lower damage the further out it goes? This seems more accurate, as English longbows could hit targets at over 200 yards, but were only lethally effective against armored targets at around 50 yards.
    -What would be a good rule to simulate a character being able to successfully draw against a bow's pull, especially when some bows have a stronger pull than others?

2) I have some upgrade and accessory options in mind to make available for the character. Here's the list, so if you can think of some I might have missed, let me know.
    -Smart Holo-Sight: This module attaches to the bow and uses an integrated passive sensor array to measure a variety of factors essential to making an accurate shot at range. It analyzes target range, windage, local gravity and air density, the weight and relative aerodynamic state of an arrow (read off a microchip embedded in the arrow itself), as well as reading the position of the archer's hands based on sensors integrated into his wrist guards. All of this data is collated to project an optimum firing angle which is then projected in the air immediately in front of the archer via a 3D holo-display. The holoprojection is specifically focused and angled so that it can only be seen by the archer when the bow is in position, and is otherwise invisible.

-Gyro-Stabilizer: Increases accuracy by eliminating some or all of the random motion inherent in a character attempting to hold a bow steady.

-Pull-Boost Motor: Uses small motors integrated into the pulleys of a compound bow to assist the character in drawing back the bow. Allows characters of lower strength to fire hire pull bows, and allows stronger characters to wield even stronger and more effective bows.

-Bow-Blades: Fixes blades (normal or vibro) to the leading edge of the bow's riser and/or limbs, allowing it to be used as a close combat weapon, much like the bayonet on a rifle.

-High Tech Arrows: Vibro-arrowheads, explosive tips, stunning tips, ion bursters, chem-darts, homing tags, etc. Any I'm missing?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I'm thinking for basic rules:

To fire an arrow, the archer must make a Strength check as a free action. The difficulty of the Strength check is determined by the weapon's draw weight, and also determines the range and damage of the bow.

VE: Str+2 Damage @ 3-12/25/50
E: Str+1D+1 @ 3-25/50/100
M: Str+2D @ 4-40/75/150
VD: Str+2D+2 @ 4-50/100/200
H: Str+3D+1 @ 5-65/125/250

Damage Fall-Off at Range: -1D at Medium, -3D at Long

Compound vs. Recurve: Compound increases price but also decreases Strength difficulty by 1 level at same Damage.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you have the bowcasters blaster/arrow idea to lend inspiration from..

Might be a similar tech, but with a bow instead. Otherwise explosive tipped arrows, perhaps even with a small repulsor generator for longer flight.

As the arrows have fins, them might be target seeking if linked to a targeting system in the bow...

Haha, you will end up with arrows costing 200+ creds a piece... 300 m range and +2D fire control.. 5D damage with -1D armour protection.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Here's what I'm thinking for basic rules:

To fire an arrow, the archer must make a Strength check as a free action. The difficulty of the Strength check is determined by the weapon's draw weight, and also determines the range and damage of the bow.

Compound vs. Recurve: Compound increases price but also decreases Strength difficulty by 1 level at same Damage.

I think this is redundant. Either the Str check generates a set damage (ie 4D, 5D, etc) or remove the Str check and give the bow STR+2D damage (for example). High Str will mean higher damage in the end with both rules. Id say the only 'reason' for having a Str check could be the range, but that can easily be done with a Str times X in range instead.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
I think this is redundant. Either the Str check generates a set damage (ie 4D, 5D, etc) or remove the Str check and give the bow STR+2D damage (for example). High Str will mean higher damage in the end with both rules. Id say the only 'reason' for having a Str check could be the range, but that can easily be done with a Str times X in range instead.

Based on what I've seen and read of bows, I think the Strength check is essential to realistic operation. After all, if you can't make the pull, you can't fire the bow. I think I'll go with the set Damage @ Range, based on the Strength difficulty of the bow.

VE: 3D+2 Damage @ 3-12/25/50
E: 4D+1 @ 3-25/50/100
M: 5D @ 4-40/75/150
VD: 5D+2 @ 4-50/100/200
H: 6D+1 @ 5-65/125/250

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Well, you have the bowcasters blaster/arrow idea to lend inspiration from..

Might be a similar tech, but with a bow instead. Otherwise explosive tipped arrows, perhaps even with a small repulsor generator for longer flight.

As the arrows have fins, them might be target seeking if linked to a targeting system in the bow...

I was considering the use of gyro-jet arrows to prevent the damage fall-off at Medium and Long ranges, but a homing arrow definitely makes for an interesting concept.

Quote:
Haha, you will end up with arrows costing 200+ creds a piece... 300 m range and +2D fire control.. 5D damage with -1D armour protection.

Yup. Of course, it adds to the roleplaying aspect, as well. Kill a stormtrooper with a blaster rifle and, well, a blaster wound is a blaster wound. Kill a stormtrooper with a bow, and you'll have a devil of a time explaining your high-end compound bow to the customs officer.

Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi Archery Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
1) IIRC, a bow's damage and effective range are dependent on the strength of the bow's pull (i.e. the more pressure it takes to pull the string back to firing position, the farther the arrow will go, and the more damage it will inflict on impact). Based on my research, I've found that modern compound bows have an effective range (meaning that's how far they can be expected to hit for lethal damage) of about 40-60 yards, depending on the pull. This brings up some questions:
    -Should a bow have a range greater than the effective range, but at lower damage the further out it goes? This seems more accurate, as English longbows could hit targets at over 200 yards, but were only lethally effective against armored targets at around 50 yards.
    -What would be a good rule to simulate a character being able to successfully draw against a bow's pull, especially when some bows have a stronger pull than others?

Yeah, technically they would have a range beyond their effective, inflicting less damage the further on... That said, the same goes for most Star Wars weapons, really. I wouldn't worry about it, though... WEG Star Wars rules rule of thumb - KISS Wink

But, the Keep it Simple, Stupid! rule aside, you might add a couple more range increments of maybe 20-30m, dropping 1D (or more) damage per increment. Nice and simple.

The bow is a limited weapon; difficult to use, and greatly outclassed in many ways by modern weapons... you shouldn't strive to get rid of that idea (I think). Most people who use bows do so for the challenge, not because they're effective; a big game hunter choosing to use a bow over a firearm or blaster is doing so to make things harder on themselves, increasing the satisfaction of accomplishment when they get their prey. The choice shouldn't be a walk in the park.

crmcneill wrote:
2) I have some upgrade and accessory options in mind to make available for the character. Here's the list, so if you can think of some I might have missed, let me know.
    -Smart Holo-Sight: This module attaches to the bow and uses an integrated passive sensor array to measure a variety of factors essential to making an accurate shot at range. It analyzes target range, windage, local gravity and air density, the weight and relative aerodynamic state of an arrow (read off a microchip embedded in the arrow itself), as well as reading the position of the archer's hands based on sensors integrated into his wrist guards. All of this data is collated to project an optimum firing angle which is then projected in the air immediately in front of the archer via a 3D holo-display. The holoprojection is specifically focused and angled so that it can only be seen by the archer when the bow is in position, and is otherwise invisible.

Sounds good to me; I'd model it after the existing blaster scomplinks... basically reducing difficulty one level (or adding 1D to the attack, same basic concept, different feel for the player). Fire control for the bow, basically.

crmcneill wrote:
-Gyro-Stabilizer: Increases accuracy by eliminating some or all of the random motion inherent in a character attempting to hold a bow steady.

I'd only give this a modest one or two pip increase to the character's Bows skill. It's a little like fire-control.

crmcneill wrote:
-Pull-Boost Motor: Uses small motors integrated into the pulleys of a compound bow to assist the character in drawing back the bow. Allows characters of lower strength to fire hire pull bows, and allows stronger characters to wield even stronger and more effective bows.

Could work. Given a bow has a min. Str. to use, you could have different boosts at different ratings, from a pip to a D or so, to lower that rating.

crmcneill wrote:
-Bow-Blades: Fixes blades (normal or vibro) to the leading edge of the bow's riser and/or limbs, allowing it to be used as a close combat weapon, much like the bayonet on a rifle.

These things exist throughout D&D. They're usually pretty modest damage weapons (due to the delicate nature of the bow structure; it's meant to flex, not impact)... it would also be a pretty hard melee weapon to wield, with a Moderate or Difficult difficulty, I think... but better than nothing in a pinch, which is the entire idea.

crmcneill wrote:
-High Tech Arrows: Vibro-arrowheads, explosive tips, stunning tips, ion bursters, chem-darts, homing tags, etc. Any I'm missing?

All good ideas.
Re: Vibro-arrowheads, I don't think they'd cause any more real damage to a target, but, perhaps could be armour piercing? Reduce some pips of the target's armour to soak?

Donate to Ankhanu Press
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

Based on what I've seen and read of bows, I think the Strength check is essential to realistic operation. After all, if you can't make the pull, you can't fire the bow. I think I'll go with the set Damage @ Range, based on the Strength difficulty of the bow.

VE: 3D+2 Damage @ 3-12/25/50
E: 4D+1 @ 3-25/50/100
M: 5D @ 4-40/75/150
VD: 5D+2 @ 4-50/100/200
H: 6D+1 @ 5-65/125/250

Of course, but your Str rating in itself can determine wether you can make the pull, no need to have an extra test for that. If I have 3D Str, i can pull the bow for 3D+1D damage... If you have 4D you can pull the bow for 4D+1D damage. In the end the same thing, wiht one test less. Same goes for range. An experienced archer can pull the bow the same amount every time.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi Archery Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
The bow is a limited weapon; difficult to use, and greatly outclassed in many ways by modern weapons... you shouldn't strive to get rid of that idea (I think). Most people who use bows do so for the challenge, not because they're effective; a big game hunter choosing to use a bow over a firearm or blaster is doing so to make things harder on themselves, increasing the satisfaction of accomplishment when they get their prey. The choice shouldn't be a walk in the park.

IMO, it can go both ways. The advancement of technology does not necessarily leave older technologies behind. Looking at modern recurve and compound bows in comparison to older, historical weapons, they almost appear like science-fiction weaponry with all the various improvements and enhancements. While a person wielding a bow and arrow in a setting that includes energy weaponry and interstellar travel, it is no guarantee that they are doing it just for a challenge; it may be a choice made for personal or practical reasons. Practically speaking, a bow is a silenced weapon, and its arrows can be configured for a variety of different effects. From a personal standpoint, the player may simply be considering the "cool" factor, and not paying too much attention to the deeper psychological indicators suggested by that weapon choice.

Quote:
Sounds good to me; I'd model it after the existing blaster scomplinks... basically reducing difficulty one level (or adding 1D to the attack, same basic concept, different feel for the player). Fire control for the bow, basically.
Quote:
I'd only give this a modest one or two pip increase to the character's Bows skill. It's a little like fire-control.

My general rule of thumb is to use static bonuses to indicate a static effect, and dice bonuses to indicate an effect with unknown factors. In this instance, I would give the scope a +XD bonus because there are always variables which can't be accounted for, and may come into play after the arrow is fired. The gyroscope generates a much more constant effect, so I would either go with the static +1 or +2 you suggested, or have it decrease the difficulty of shots by a level, or something along those lines.

Quote:
crmcneill wrote:
-Pull-Boost Motor

Could work. Given a bow has a min. Str. to use, you could have different boosts at different ratings, from a pip to a D or so, to lower that rating.

It could be used in either bow type, as well, with cable-type boosters in a reflex bow, or with cable or pulley-motor types in a compound bow. I like the idea of different Strength pull-boosters, so that a more expensive version would allow the character a stronger pull.

Quote:
These things exist throughout D&D. They're usually pretty modest damage weapons (due to the delicate nature of the bow structure; it's meant to flex, not impact)... it would also be a pretty hard melee weapon to wield, with a Moderate or Difficult difficulty, I think... but better than nothing in a pinch, which is the entire idea.

Yeah, I was thinking, at most, a Str+1D damage weapon, with the main advantage being that it reduces the MAP by 1D by eliminating the action of dropping the bow and pulling a melee weapon.

Quote:
Re: Vibro-arrowheads, I don't think they'd cause any more real damage to a target, but, perhaps could be armour piercing? Reduce some pips of the target's armour to soak?

Makes sense. Another arrow possibility would be a blast-tip. I got the idea from the blast-caps in the Matador series, with the idea being that, on contact, the cap detonates and fires a unidirectional charge of blaster energy. Only works on contact, but delivers a mean punch when it does.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Of course, but your Str rating in itself can determine wether you can make the pull, no need to have an extra test for that. If I have 3D Str, i can pull the bow for 3D+1D damage... If you have 4D you can pull the bow for 4D+1D damage. In the end the same thing, wiht one test less. Same goes for range. An experienced archer can pull the bow the same amount every time.

Valid points, but on reflection, I prefer to leave the bows with static damage; no matter how strong the character is, it is the bow that is delivering the kinetic energy, not the character. The Strength check as a free action to make the pull seems enough for me.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi Archery Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

1)

Try this bow out for size..

Strength bow
Type: Combat war bow
Scale: Character
Skill: Bows (S) War
Cost: 350 credits. Arrows 2 per credit.
Availability: 2F
Damage: Str+1d (6d+1 max) at short range. -2pips for medium range, -1d-1 at long.
Range: Short – 3 yards per pip of strength. Medium – 6 yards per pip. Long – 9 yards per pip.
Fire rate: 1
Note: These bows come in size ranging from a Str of 2d all the way to 5d. They must be used by someone with at least that Str.

crmcneill wrote:

Since iirc nothing like this exists for blasters or other weaponry (such as bowcasters/magnacasters) seems a little far fetched.. BUT i will hold off saying no dice till i see
A) what you list it for cost
B) what skill roll is used to properly use it
C) what bonus(s) it gets..

crmcneill wrote:

No issues here. But you would then need to have rules in play for holding your bow steady in the first place to compensate for it..

crmcneill wrote:

I can see these.. Say have 3 ranks. Rk1 gives +2 to your effective strength for being able to properly pull a bow made for higher strength, Rk 2 gives +1d+1, and Rk3 gives 2d.

crmcneill wrote:

Nice.. Though if the bow is hit on an area the blade is not (such as with a bad parry, or faulty to hit roll) the bow still will get cut.

crmcneill wrote:

Take a look at the spec ammo for firearms...

crmcneill wrote:
-To fire an arrow, the archer must make a Strength check as a free action. The difficulty of the Strength check is determined by the weapon's draw weight, and also determines the range and damage of the bow.

Hows about making bows with a base pull str needed. THEN to try and pull above your str(weight) you need to make that above str check.

crmcneill wrote:
-

Most other weapons that have split damage based on range are only 1d off for med and 2d for long... So 3d off is a little excessive.

Quote:

What book is that scomp link in?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

Valid points, but on reflection, I prefer to leave the bows with static damage; no matter how strong the character is, it is the bow that is delivering the kinetic energy, not the character. The Strength check as a free action to make the pull seems enough for me.

Im a bit 'less is more' when it comes to rules and especially tests..
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think about what physical action attribute checks represent it might change the context, after all that's the key to RPG.

I've got a bow with a real hard pull. Sometimes I can draw it but other times I can't. When I fail the arrow just plops out in front of the bow, you could probably stop it with your hand. When I make the pull you wouldn't want to hide behind a tin plate at 20m without it going through to get you.

Okay but here's the thing, I get my bow and try to draw it, but my arms are tired and for some reason I just can't do it this instant. So what do I do? I sit on the ground, put my feet on the bow and use both hands. Hey presto, bow is drawn. Using the same strength I had before.

In other words I think the stat mod which best reflects pull strength on a bow is rate of fire. If I have to brace the bow to draw it (fail the check), I can only fire 1/2 rounds. If I make the check and draw it with my hands, I can fire 1-2/round.

But damage delivery is really by the sprung rating of the bow itself and arrow type and fairly static unless you can't draw it, but you always can, it just slows you down because you have to brace it with your feet or something. We're problem solvers, us primates. Can't really overcome us with something so simple as a test of strength, we just find another way, which takes longer. And if you couldn't draw a particular bow you might as well throw the arrow like a dart for the effect it'll have.
Bows work like that I reckon. Sprung rating of a particular bow is represented by base damage (modified by arrow type). You might have a longbow do 2D+2 base (1D Str check), a composite bow 3D base (2D Str check), a compound bow 4D base (2D Str check). A heavy sprung longbow might be 3D+1 base (2D+1 Str check). An ubermodern compound bow might be 5D base (3D Str check). Then you might have arrows that add +1D vs hard armour, or +1D vs soft targets, etc. Fail the Str check ROF: 1/2, pass and it's ROF: 2.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi Archery Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Try this bow out for size..

Interesting stuff, but on the whole it looks to involve a lot more number crunching than the version I already thought up. The price and availability are nice guidelines (I usually just randomize those).

Quote:
crmcneill wrote:
-Smart Holo-Sight

Since iirc nothing like this exists for blasters or other weaponry (such as bowcasters/magnacasters) seems a little far fetched.. BUT i will hold off saying no dice till i see
A) what you list it for cost
B) what skill roll is used to properly use it
C) what bonus(s) it gets..

Well, there is precedent for the holographic projection aspect (see the Electronic Blaster Sighting System on page 88 of Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Equipment). The fire control bonus aspects (insofar as what sensory data is collected to calculate the optimum firing angle) can be downplayed and generalized in favor of a simple dice bonus, with price and availability ascending to match. It could even be capable of auto-calibration, fine-tuning its accuracy via test shots. Depending on the degree of automation, IMO, it wouldn't really need a skill roll unless you were trying to make it do something outside of its normal use parameters. In that case, since it is both a passive sensor unit and a fire control system, I would go with a Mech roll (or Sensors).

Quote:
crmcneill wrote:
-Gyro-Stabilizer
No issues here. But you would then need to have rules in play for holding your bow steady in the first place to compensate for it..

My take is that holding the bow steady is just one aspect of the skill roll to fire the thing, and the same would hold true for blasters.

Quote:
crmcneill wrote:
-Pull-Boost Motor:

I can see these.. Say have 3 ranks. Rk1 gives +2 to your effective strength for being able to properly pull a bow made for higher strength, Rk 2 gives +1d+1, and Rk3 gives 2d.

I prefer to use dice values as bonuses to represent situations where the bonus could potentially not apply. In this case, unless the Pull-Boost System is malfunctioning, I would prefer to give static difficulty reduction values based on the strength of the Pull-Booster.

Quote:
crmcneill wrote:
-Bow-Blades
Nice.. Though if the bow is hit on an area the blade is not (such as with a bad parry, or faulty to hit roll) the bow still will get cut.

In that case, the 2R&E standard for damaging weapons would apply. Perhaps on a simple Wild Dice failure when attempting to use the bow in Melee Combat. Roll a 1 on a D6 and your bow automatically gets hit for damage. Standard rules apply.

Quote:
Take a look at the spec ammo for firearms...

I already did a bunch for bolter weapons under another topic. Is the spec ammo section in the Weapons Compilation book, or somewhere else?

Quote:
Hows about making bows with a base pull str needed. THEN to try and pull above your str(weight) you need to make that above str check.

I considered that but decided against it for a couple reasons. The first is that I don't want the rules for this getting too complicated (i.e. combining realism with a minimum number of rolls and calculations), and the second is that, based on my own archery experience, there reaches a point where the bow just can't be pulled out any further (because it would flex the bow to its breaking point, and also because, no matter how strong you are, your arms are only so long, so I just decided to make the set Damage value I proposed above to be the maximum possible damage that can be inflicted with the bow.

Quote:
Most other weapons that have split damage based on range are only 1d off for med and 2d for long... So 3d off is a little excessive.

I was basing it off the idea that the most powerful bow historically (the English longbow) could pick off heavily armored targets inside of 50 yards, it was only useful against unarmored targets at its maximum range (over 200 yards). In the case of the possible variants I presented, a longbow would have a massively powerful pull (Heroic) and inflict major damage at close range (6D), but the loss of velocity at range (3D at long) would result in it only being useful against unarmored "common" targets at its maximum range. The opposite end of the scale would be standard recurve bows fit for children and the hunting of small animals.

Quote:
What book is that scomp link in?

IIRC, its only ever mentioned as an accessory to Boba Fett's EE-3, which is "scomp-linked" to a site-overlay inside his helmet.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
In other words I think the stat mod which best reflects pull strength on a bow is rate of fire. If I have to brace the bow to draw it (fail the check), I can only fire 1/2 rounds. If I make the check and draw it with my hands, I can fire 1-2/round.

I'm OK with adjusting the Strength checks to be more realistic (Heroic is a bit high), but a simpler method to what you describe would just be to apply MAPs to the Strength roll as well as the Bow skill roll. That way, the more shots he fires in a round, the more he has to deal with muscle fatigue and such.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: