The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Death of Liberty Campaign
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> The Death of Liberty Campaign Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the last line of the last adventure (showing when the reveal actually took place), so here's the summary for last Saturday's action (the first we'd played in over a month):

The group quickly escapes in their vessel, taking D0, an unconscious man, and two dead stormtroopers with them.

Part 3: Mar Barezz
After learning that their captive is ISB agent Mar Barezz, Loon takes the man’s clothes and ID and the group puts him in a cargo container, deciding to drop him off on a remote, backwater world. They make their way into the Lemmick system and the Safe Haven suddenly loses power. Ordo scrambles to cold-start the engines, but just as he brings the systems back online another wave hits, causing another loss of power. Zorace spies a hidden mine causing the ion pulses, and manages to damage it with blaster fire. Zebron works on repairs as Ordo blasts a hole in the hangar doors with one of the Y-wings, exiting the vessel just as another pulse hits. As they again recover both ships, the Skipray Blastboat Malefactor arrives, demanding that they stand down. Sunrider refuses to recognize the Empire’s authority, but as a Lt. Tomo boards their craft, Mar Barezz suddenly appears, convincing the other Imperials that he commands an undercover ISB operation. The placated Blastboat departs, and Loon reveals that he is actually Parax Void, a shape-shifting Clawdite who impersonated Barezz. The party opts to turn their prisoner over to the Rebellion. Ordo departs with Vig and C9 to take the Stardancer back to his family, and Sunrider senses a disturbance in the Force. Later, meeting with the Rebels, the others discover that Barezz is gone just as Ordo deposits the swapped out container holding the ISB spy into a star.

Last edited by DougRed4 on Fri May 02, 2014 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back, I now see it was darn close to two months since we last played! Shocked
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also note that none of the other players had any idea that Darkus Loon (a human who looked like Malcolm Reynolds from "Firefly") was actually a Clawdite named Parax Void.

It ended up being the perfect time to "blow his cover" and reveal it to his teammates, as it truly saved their bacon! Surprised
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Zorace spies a hidden mine causing the ion pulses, and manages to damage it with blaster fire.

If the ship was dead (cold restart) how was he able to shoot it? And since it is capital scale, how did he damage it (and even with some damage that would not have stopped it pulsing)

Quote:
Zebron works on repairs as Ordo blasts a hole in the hangar doors with one of the Y-wings, exiting the vessel just as another pulse hits.

?? How did he blow up the door to get out without damaging his Y wing? Also how was IT powered up?

Quote:
The placated Blastboat departs, and Loon reveals that he is actually Parax Void, a shape-shifting Clawdite who impersonated Barezz.

Must have been one hell of a con roll.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I should also note that none of the other players had any idea that Darkus Loon (a human who looked like Malcolm Reynolds from "Firefly") was actually a Clawdite named Parax Void.

It ended up being the perfect time to "blow his cover" and reveal it to his teammates, as it truly saved their bacon! Surprised

I take it he never has been injured in combat..
Code:
The transformation is quite painful, and the skin-changer
will revert to its normal form if stunned, unconscious,
dying, or dead.

That's right from the clawdite's write up.
Also what is his (A) shapeshift at?
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, gharkal. Way to shut down everything Dougred is doing. Remember, gaming is about storytelling, not rule following. He's allowed to do what he wants in his campaign.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:

I take it he never has been injured in combat..
Code:
The transformation is quite painful, and the skin-changer
will revert to its normal form if stunned, unconscious,
dying, or dead.

That's right from the clawdite's write up.
Also what is his (A) shapeshift at?

Nope, he'd never been injured or even stunned (he tended to stay back during most skirmishes).

I don't recall what his shapeshift skill is at, but he's pretty good (I remember one Disguise skill roll around 31).
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:
Zorace spies a hidden mine causing the ion pulses, and manages to damage it with blaster fire.

If the ship was dead (cold restart) how was he able to shoot it? And since it is capital scale, how did he damage it (and even with some damage that would not have stopped it pulsing)

They were only able to fire the ship's weapons when they got it restarted (via cold restart). They were able to damage it (barely) because their ship is also Capital scale. Even though they were both the same scale, and though he made something like nearly 20 shots, the first time he damaged it he only took down its shields by 1D. It wasn't until nearly when the other ship arrived that he finally hit it solidly. That second hit was enough to do light damage, and I rolled that the weapons were impacted (hence the pulse shut down).

garhkal wrote:
Quote:
Zebron works on repairs as Ordo blasts a hole in the hangar doors with one of the Y-wings, exiting the vessel just as another pulse hits.

?? How did he blow up the door to get out without damaging his Y wing? Also how was IT powered up?

He blew out the doors by making an incredible roll (as he was rolling at Starfighter scale against their own ship's hangar doors, which were at Capital scale. Fortunately, I allowed one player who always seems to roll low (something I've never done before) to make the Capital ship's hull roll, and he didn't disappoint, rolling a "1" on the Wild Die. Very Happy There was enough damage done that I allowed him to blow a hole just like he wanted. The Y-wing is probably only scorched on the front end a bit.

And the reason he was able to roll was because he waited until after a pulse to fire up the Y-wing. It was insulated (and not powered up) in the hangar, so wasn't affected by the pulse.

garhkal wrote:
Quote:
The placated Blastboat departs, and Loon reveals that he is actually Parax Void, a shape-shifting Clawdite who impersonated Barezz.

Must have been one hell of a con roll.

It was. IIRC, he got a 38. And he decided not to spend any Character Points (and didn't really need to).
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I decided to award a Dark Side point to Dargin Ordo's player for what he did, being as it was not only harsh, but premeditated and willful (the Jedi even encouraged him not to go down that path).

The player was totally understanding, and knew he had it coming.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
Wow, gharkal. Way to shut down everything Dougred is doing. Remember, gaming is about storytelling, not rule following. He's allowed to do what he wants in his campaign.

I am asking questions to get clarifications on what happened.. NOT trying to shut him down.

Quote:
Nope, he'd never been injured or even stunned (he tended to stay back during most skirmishes).

Lucky bugger

Quote:
They were only able to fire the ship's weapons when they got it restarted (via cold restart). They were able to damage it (barely) because their ship is also Capital scale. Even though they were both the same scale, and though he made something like nearly 20 shots, the first time he damaged it he only took down its shields by 1D. It wasn't until nearly when the other ship arrived that he finally hit it solidly. That second hit was enough to do light damage, and I rolled that the weapons were impacted (hence the pulse shut down).

How long did you make it take for a cold restart?

Quote:
He blew out the doors by making an incredible roll (as he was rolling at Starfighter scale against their own ship's hangar doors, which were at Capital scale. Fortunately, I allowed one player who always seems to roll low (something I've never done before) to make the Capital ship's hull roll, and he didn't disappoint, rolling a "1" on the Wild Die. Very Happy There was enough damage done that I allowed him to blow a hole just like he wanted. The Y-wing is probably only scorched on the front end a bit.

Reminds me of last saturday's game day. I had some of the players NOT involved in the space combat making the rolls for the baddies.. Though the other players were hating it when they rolled real good.

Quote:
And the reason he was able to roll was because he waited until after a pulse to fire up the Y-wing. It was insulated (and not powered up) in the hangar, so wasn't affected by the pulse.

If it was not powered up, should he not also have had to cold start it?

Quote:
It was. IIRC, he got a 38. And he decided not to spend any Character Points (and didn't really need to).

Not a bad roll.. As a question, i notice on your site, all you list are the character's names and a picture. No stats etc.. Is that for a reason (just inquiring)

Quote:
BTW, I decided to award a Dark Side point to Dargin Ordo's player for what he did, being as it was not only harsh, but premeditated and willful (the Jedi even encouraged him not to go down that path).

The player was totally understanding, and knew he had it coming.

Did he at least get some milk to go with the dark sides cookies Laughing Laughing
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the cold restarts take a couple of rounds (2-4), depending on their rolls. When they rolled well (in the 20's, say), I would have it happen quicker.

BTW, I checked on the Clawdite's skills, and he's got 3D in the Advanced Shapechanging skill, which adds to his 5D+1 in Con (Disguise).

I didn't put the character stats on there because it would be a lot of work, especially to keep them constantly maintained. Some (most?) of the character sheets are written out by hand, so it would require a lot of getting character sheets from my players (I have copies of them when they started), inputting a lot of info, then trying to keep it maintained/updated. Just more work than I'm keen on doing, especially being as I'm running about four/five games/campaigns right now.

Also, great idea on giving your other (uninvolved) players something to do. In a past session, when the party split up, I let the two players whose PCs weren't present play stormtroopers, just to keep them involved in the action. Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I made the cold restarts take a couple of rounds (2-4), depending on their rolls. When they rolled well (in the 20's, say), I would have it happen quicker.

Sounds a little quick.. not sure where i read it, but i do remember reading somewhere cold starts take a min of 1 minute. Will have to check GG6 and platts.

Quote:
BTW, I checked on the Clawdite's skills, and he's got 3D in the Advanced Shapechanging skill, which adds to his 5D+1 in Con (Disguise).

Nice..

Quote:
Also, great idea on giving your other (uninvolved) players something to do. In a past session, when the party split up, I let the two players whose PCs weren't present play stormtroopers, just to keep them involved in the action. Smile

Thanks. Some may not like having it done as it makes it seem i am pushing other players to be the killers of the rest.. but i feel it keeps everyone involved.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange.. went through both main books (revised and base 2e), GG6, platts, crackens field guide and pirates and privateers.. NOT a one had info on cold starts and time it takes.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Strange.. went through both main books (revised and base 2e), GG6, platts, crackens field guide and pirates and privateers.. NOT a one had info on cold starts and time it takes.

There's a note in Vehicle Remote Activation Controller (Galladinum's, page 18 ), but it's quite rough: from 20 seconds (some speeders) to well over five minutes (some sterships).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Yahoo group for our Sparks campaign, i asked if anyone in our council (or group as a whole) has seen anything official, which was a no.

And though it has been discussed, it was decided to allow the GM of the table to decide for cinematic purposes, rather than coming up with a rule.

Closest wrote out is what i had written to one of my modules where the ship's going through the ion/electrical field surrounding a planet causes damage and eventually shuts down a ship..

Quote:
but the time it takes to bring them back up is an issue. Normally it takes 1 full minute to reboot a hot system (10 for a cold one). But this can be ‘rushed’ for a hot system to get one or more vital systems started faster. If they use this option they take 12 rounds to ‘fall through’ the field. This leaves them 2 rounds to get systems online to keep them from crashing to some degree.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: