The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Episode III title
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Episode III title Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Episode III title Reply with quote

Episode III's title is...

Revenge Of The Sith

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't care what forum I see that in, it still sucks. Perhaps it's just like Revenge of the Jedi, a working title and we'll all learn later it's something else.

Wanted Poster
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can always pray Cool

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What title would you be intrested in seeing? Myself, I was kinda hoping for something like The Loss of Hope so as to tie in with, and kinda explain why it is titled, A New Hope.

Wanted Poster
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe something along the lines of "The Fall Of Anakin Skywalker" or "The Fall Of The Republic"as long as it's not as bad as "The Phantom Menace" Cool

Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Revenge of the Sith" isn't so bad... I mean, it's a lot better than "Phantom Menace" or "Attack of the Clones".
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revenge of the Sith isn't good either. It feels like fans came up with the title rather than Lucas. But Lucas has so far kept the same pattern as he did with the original trilogy, release one every three years. And during that period we had Revenge of the Jedi, which lead to some products being issued under that title. Only we later learned that that was a working title, one that was probably put out to distract from what the actual title would be. So when Episode VI hit theaters, rather than see Revenge of the Jedi in the opening crawl, we had Return of the Jedi.

Could Lucas be doing the same thing once again, putting out a working title so as to surprise us later with the actual title?

Wanted Poster
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about "The Dark Times"?
Well...It's better than "Attack of the Killer Clowns"...er, Clones!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Episode III title Reply with quote

Hellstorm wrote:
Episode III's title is...

Revenge Of The Sith

Hellcat wrote:
Don't care what forum I see that in, it still sucks. Perhaps it's just like Revenge of the Jedi, a working title and we'll all learn later it's something else... What title would you be intrested in seeing? Myself, I was kinda hoping for something like The Loss of Hope so as to tie in with, and kinda explain why it is titled, A New Hope.

Hellstorm wrote:
Maybe something along the lines of "The Fall Of Anakin Skywalker" or "The Fall Of The Republic"as long as it's not as bad as "The Phantom Menace" 8)

Hellcat wrote:
It feels like fans came up with the title rather than Lucas.

LOL. 15 year necro of people reacting to the title of Episode III. This is a good perspective on the fact that this forum has actually been going since the time of the prequels.

Did you hate the title Revenge of the Sith when you first heard it? Knowing that "Revenge of the Jedi" was changed because revenge is not the Jedi way, I thought it it was great. RotJ is about the defeat of the Dark Side, and Episode III was going to be about the fall of the Jedi. This was obviously always Lucas' plan since the screenplay for TPM was written.

Quote:
DARTH MAUL: At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last, we will have revenge.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I thought the RoTS title was appropriate, given the entire trilogy arc was about Palpatine setting up the Jedi (and the Republic) for a fall. Oh, and that Anakin guy who was instrumental to the plot. Plus Maul said "At last we shall have our revenge" so it fit on that level too.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Episode III title Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Hellstorm wrote:

LOL. 15 year necro of people reacting to the title of Episode III. This is a good perspective on the fact that this forum has actually been going since the time of the prequels.

Did you hate the title Revenge of the Sith when you first heard it? Knowing that "Revenge of the Jedi" was changed because revenge is not the Jedi way, I thought it it was great. RotJ is about the defeat of the Dark Side, and Episode III was going to be about the fall of the Jedi.

I dunno. With the perspective of the sequels it turns out the Jedi only returned for a hot second. It was more like "Jedi visiting their old high school cause their spring break plans fell through". Sad!
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Episode III title Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Whill wrote:
Hellstorm wrote:

Did you hate the title Revenge of the Sith when you first heard it? Knowing that "Revenge of the Jedi" was changed because revenge is not the Jedi way, I thought it it was great. RotJ is about the defeat of the Dark Side, and Episode III was going to be about the fall of the Jedi.

I dunno. With the perspective of the sequels it turns out the Jedi only returned for a hot second. It was more like "Jedi visiting their old high school cause their spring break plans fell through". Sad!

Well, with Rey getting the ancient Jedi texts from Atch-to, the Jedi are set to return after 50 years instead of 20. Considering the age of galactic civilization is 25,000+ years, an extra 30 years is a relative eyeblink.

And I had no problem with Revenge of the Sith being titled the way it was; it made for a nice bookend with Return of the Jedi, since it's absolutely true that revenge is not the Jedi way.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that annoys me is "Attack of the Clones"
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
The one that annoys me is "Attack of the Clones"

That title and "The Phantom Menace" were both bemoaned up in the thread. I don't have a problem with any of film titles.

I remember having to explain The Phantom Menace to a lot of people back after it came out. A lot of more people asked me, what does that title mean? Who is the phantom menace? I thought it was pretty obvious it was Darth Sidious specifically and the Sith in general. If they didn't figure out that Palpatine was Darth Sidious, I didn't tell them. (Some of the more casual fans didn't even make the connection between Palpatine and the Emperor and if so I didn't ruin it for them.)

Attack of the Clones is the only title that took me a little time to get used to. In the end, I find it is very similar to "The Empire Strikes Back". The Clones were absolutely instrumental for the plan to destroy the Jedi and create the Empire so I have no problem with it. Both of the middle trilogy titles recall the old space opera movie series which inspired Star Wars. Sometimes I do still make fun of the title when referring to it with family or friends by saying, "Here come the clones!"

TauntaunScout wrote:

The sequels didn't exist when RotJ was made. Lucas decided during early pre-production of RotJ in 1980 to abandon his 9 or 12 film plan and chronologically end the saga with RotJ (the prequel trilogy still being a possibility). So yes, the titular Jedi did only return for a hot second. He returned just long enough to destroy the Sith, and then died.

The Return of the Jedi title only slightly refers to the Jedi order because the Jedi order doesn't actually return in that film. The Jedi order's future return is certainly suggested by Yoda telling Luke to pass on what he had learned, and Luke passing his trial of not turning to the Dark Side and surviving to become the galaxy's sole Jedi Knight. But what actually does occur in the film itself?

A specific Jedi does return. Anakin Skywalker returns to destroy the Dark Side Emperor of the evil Empire. The primary meaning of "the Jedi" in the film's title is the return of Anakin Skywalker. The sequel trilogy does absolutely nothing to alter the meaning of the title. The title doesn't say he returns and stays. He returns for just long enough to make sure it is possible for there to someday be a return of a Jedi order.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The sequels didn't exist when RotJ was made. Lucas decided during early pre-production of RotJ in 1980 to abandon his 9 or 12 film plan and chronologically end the saga with RotJ (the prequel trilogy still being a possibility).

This is the root of my issues with New Wars. Lucas kept making big changes like this midstream and the corpus of work suffered as those little things started adding up. But, people within a fandom forget, most films made every year are pretty bad. If 4 of the 11 Star Wars films are good, then the franchise is doing what an impartial observer should expect from any 11 Hollywood movies. So I just try to let it go. It seems obvious but needs to be repeated often: exceptional films are the exception.

I do think Lucas got too experimental with the prequels and the cinematography (and possibly acting) really suffered as a result. Cinematography and acting are really important for replay value. But if he wasn't willing to take those kinds of risks to begin with we'd never have gotten what we did in May of 1977. But eventually if you keep taking long chances, the law of averages catches up to you, and you lose some of those bets.

The original stuff was also made by a team of lesser known geniuses. I really wonder what would have happened with the prequels if Ralph MacQuarrie had gone to work on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: