The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ion Damage against Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Ion Damage against Droids Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how insanely expensive HRDs are, and the fact that they are designed to replicate humans as closely as possible, I would house rule that any electronic components of a HRD (just the brain, IIRC) are hardened and shielded against EMP and ion effects.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
That's an interesting question. Though I assume that somewhere in the interior it has circuits, ergo the ion weapon would still overload them, shutting her down.

As far as I remember she "costed" billions of Wupiupi, so I guess the designer simply installed some ion shielding to prevent loss of such baby!

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either that or her synthflesh provided her some shielding..
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Slight correction.. you only fall to the ground/lose actions at wounded, not stunned.

Not by 1E rules. I double checked last night before I posted. By 1E rules, any hit that rolls less than the target's soak still inflicts a Stunned result just for hitting. The effects only last until the end of that round, but it still has an effect.

Personally, I like the rules that way. I might change it to allow higher strength characters to ignore the stun depending on their soak roll, but it would definitely take some of the edge off of Wookiees and Esoomians shrugging off blaster fire.

I'm tempted to snag this for my house rules. Right now our group has a very strong Barabel and a Feeorin who can both laugh at just about any hand-held weapon, being as their Strengths are so high. Other species can have this problem, too (Wookiees, like you mentioned, or Sarkans or Houks).

I suppose there's always the possibility of an attacker rolling lots of 6's with their damage, but still...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be tempted to include it but moderate it somehow, so that weaker characters would suffer the full effect, but stronger characters would only suffer a MAP for any subsequent actions that round.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also nothing like a sniper with a called shot to blast a smirk off of somebody's face.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Slight correction.. you only fall to the ground/lose actions at wounded, not stunned.

Not by 1E rules. I double checked last night before I posted. By 1E rules, any hit that rolls less than the target's soak still inflicts a Stunned result just for hitting. The effects only last until the end of that round, but it still has an effect.

Personally, I like the rules that way. I might change it to allow higher strength characters to ignore the stun depending on their soak roll, but it would definitely take some of the edge off of Wookiees and Esoomians shrugging off blaster fire.

I'm tempted to snag this for my house rules. Right now our group has a very strong Barabel and a Feeorin who can both laugh at just about any hand-held weapon, being as their Strengths are so high. Other species can have this problem, too (Wookiees, like you mentioned, or Sarkans or Houks).

I suppose there's always the possibility of an attacker rolling lots of 6's with their damage, but still...

That's why i prefer dice pooling OR allowing some of the alternate damage rules via ROE (+1 to +4 to hit gives +1 damage bonus)..
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often do extra damage based on fantastic rolls (in other words, I might add +1d6 if someone gets 5 over and +2d6 if they're 10 over), but what is dice pooling?
jmanski

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dice pooling allows you to take some of the Skill Dice and convert them to Damage Dice.

For instance if your blaster skill is 8d you could choose to add 2d to damage and roll 6d for your blaster skill instead.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's right (I think somebody explained that one before). Thanks, jmanski!

Seems to me that could lead to some weapons doing far more damage than they should ordinarily be able to.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but the trade-off is reduced accuracy.

And that's why it's so deadly.... Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True it could lead that way, but the easiest HR i have seen to halt that is you can only add 1/2 the weapons damage via pooling. So a blaster pistol can get 2d added via pooling.
Alternately make it each 2d taken of accuracy adds 1d to damage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: