The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tactical Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Tactical Combat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Naaman wrote:
Besides that:

What does a dodge bonus do? If your dodge roll succeeds, it's supposed to mean that the shot missed. Allowing a damage roll after applying a dodge bonus seems to negate the purpose of a dodge bonus.

I don't think that can be addressed without first establishing whether or not you use Dodge in your campaign (I'm certainly trying to extricate myself from it) and what sorts of conditions you place on it.

I thought you were advocating that RAW had the solution?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, RAW terms used below...

Naaman wrote:
Imagine a scenario wherein a character is partially hidden. A shooter shoots and the defender dodges out from behind the cover, rather than back into it. If the cover is hit, there is no way the character can take damage.

Now, taking that to the next level: if the protection/cover is large (suppose the size of a shipping container and the character is positioned in the center. The attack will target a man-sized area (hence the notion that the "cover was hit instead"). But we don't know which way the character will dodge. If the shooter missed left and the defender dodged right, then, again, there is no way the defender can be damaged by a penetrating hit.

Now, let's go back to the first scenario, but add a separate piece of protection a meter or so away from the one the defender is currently using. Which cover will be "targeted" by the attacker? The defender may dodge back into his current cover, or into the alternate cover. If the attacker favors the "man-sized" area currently in use, there is no way he can damage the alternate cover, should the defender choose to go there instead.

These are just a few examples of how a dodge bonus OR a protection bonus should be used, but not both, because the latter essentially renders the former irrelevant.

Naaman, you should do it in your game however you see fit, of course.

This reply immediately followed my last reply but I'm not sure if this is in reply to my last reply. I address your concerns but your response seems to completely ignore my post. If you just disagree with it, it would be easier if you came out and said what you disagree with. If you don't understand my reply, please come out and say so. Please reread that reply, then read this reply in which I will try to use different wording to make it more clear than it may have been.

As I interpret RAW there are are two kinds of dodging for the mind's eye, but they use the same RAW game mechanics.

There is the dodging when a target character is out in the open with no cover. That is where the character may not be looking to see where every individual shot is coming from (such as running away, or running to cover) so they are just making themselves harder to hit in general.

It is often likely there may not be room to do the above kind of dodging behind cover, and that's when the second kind of dodging comes into play, the dodging that best uses the cover to defend against each attack. Whether the target character is peeking up/around to fire back at the attacker and ducking back behind the cover (normal reaction dodge) or just trying to move behind the most cover depending on each shot as it comes in (possibly full reaction dodge). Since game mechanically it is possible for the cover/protection to take no significant damage if hit, completely successful "dodges" behind cover (where cover is missed also) can be thought of as either completely missing the target and cover/protection, or hitting the cover/protection without significantly damaging it. Either way, it is the same end result as the RAW die rolls indicate. If the result of the roll is that character was missed but the cover/protection was hit, then damage is rolled for the cover/protection and there is that chance some of the indirect damage may affect the target character.

If a character is behind something large like a shipping container (which provides cover and protection) and not peaking out, then remember that per RAW the cover rules do not apply because you can't shoot directly at a target you cannot see at all. Dodging is irrelevant and has no purpose. If an attacker knows there is a character behind something that provides some level of protection but can't see the character at all, sure they can attempt to start destroying the shipping container to be able to target the character behind it, but that is not likely to happen anytime soon with a hand blaster.

Quote:
By RAW, the dodge bonus literally has no value: in order to take no damage, the character must roll a high enough base dodge to beat the attack roll. Short of that, the cover/protection "consolation damage roll" applies (which may result in no damage, but no thanks to a dodge bonus).

Unless I am misunderstanding you, it seems you may be incorrect about RAW. See above, and remember that in RAW, most of the time the dodge roll replaces the difficulty instead of providing a bonus to the difficulty. Without or without protection, there are times when it make sense to not dodge and just let the range difficulty be the base difficulty. If the dodge roll is likely to be lower than the base range difficulty, then the target character should not dodge. Cover/protection rules do not change this.

Quote:
Think of it like this, suppose there were NO protection. But rather, some visual obstruction (darkness, smoke, etc). If the attack roll beats the base dodge (but not the added bonus), does the defender get hit? Take reduced damage?

According to RAW, if there is only cover which does not provide protection like darkness or smoke, then you have the same thing as above. Dodging usually replaces the base range difficulty of an attack instead of adding to it. Cover just adds to the base attack difficulty no matter how that was determined. If the attacker beats the base difficulty but does not beat the cover bonus, then the shot misses and there is no partial damage because the cover of smoke or darkness does not provide protection. The range attack goes harmlessly through the darkness or smoke and misses the target character.

Yes, it is always true that a poor normal reaction dodge roll could increase your odds of being hit, so it may be best not to dodge. But this is the case in RAW with or without cover. If your issue is really with that, then that really has nothing to do with cover/protection rules.

Full reaction dodge is what adds to the attacker's base difficulty, but that comes into play before the added difficulty for cover. See the first chunk of my reply above. If a GM wants to rule that full reaction dodge is not possible in conjunction with cover, then that is a GM's prerogative and that could be a simple solution to your issue without altering cover/protection rules. But I have no problem sticking with RAW which does not prohibit this, since I interpret it to be a different kind of dodge (using the partial cover to its best advantage for each attack instead of just moving around and making yourself harder to hit in general), along with the hand wave that a missed shot could possibly be thought of as hitting the cover/protection and having no significant effect.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I thought you were advocating that RAW had the solution?

Well, if I'm understanding you correctly, I think you're incorrectly conflating a modifier that increases the Difficulty to hit with a Dodge roll.

A character that is taking partial cover behind a rock, with only his head and weapon arm exposed, receives a +4D modifier under the RAW to avoid being hit. The character doesn't have to Dodge to receive the bonus. Per the RAW, the shooter rolls against the Base Difficulty for that Range. If he beats that Difficulty, he hits something. Then, the target character rolls 4D (the modifier) and compares that result to the degree of success on the shooter's skill roll. If the degree of success is less than the modifier, the shot strikes the cover, and not the character.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I've been talking about the whole time:
Naaman wrote:
Shooting on the Move

Sometimes, it is necessary to stay mobile while projecting force at a live threat.

A character with at least 4D in tactics may use the following option:

A character may move at his normal speed (in most cases, 10m) while firing his weapon simultaneously. This movement also counts as the character "dodging" ranged attacks directed at him (as he moves from cover to cover, for example).

In this case, two actions are being taken simultaneously (the attack and the dodge). Under normal circumstances, each skill would suffer a -1D penalty.

However, using the tactical option, a character may choose to displace the penalty to his dodge roll so that it instead applies to his blaster roll, taking a total of -2D on blaster, while rolling his full normal dodge skill.

Example:

Rebel Rick is advancing on an imperial bunker and needs to move from cover to cover while addressing the imperial soldier who has maneuvered to his flank. He moves quickly to the next piece of cover while firing his blaster (somewhat hastily) at the imperial troop.

Rick's blaster skill is 6D and his dodge skill is 5D+2. He chooses to take a -2D penalty to his blaster skill, rolling 4D to attack the enemy, and retaining his full 5D+2 against any shots fired at him during his movement.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simpler version of that would be to just apply a Tactics-generated modifier to the Difficulty to hit the character who is shooting on the move.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that I think its silly to use a difficulty that is native to the weapon instead of (as opposed to in addition to) a reaction skill roll.

Other games make attack roll difficulty inherent to the target, which is basically intuitive. A moving target is harder to hit than a stationary one. There is no getting around that fact.

We've also discussed here and elsewhere that the dodge skill should imply some kind of movement, so it seemed natural to me that we were all talking about situations where the player is rolling dodge.

To be clear, all this time, I've been assuming we are talking about a character rolling dodge. Also, it's my interpretation of the RAW that the dodge roll replaces the weapon's difficulty, regardless of whether there are concealment/cover/protection variables at play. In other words, its either base difficulty + cover bonus, or dodge roll + cover bonus.

I now understand that others were assuming either dodge by itself, or base difficulty + cover.

If you are using base difficulties, it makes worlds more sense to grant tactics bonuses to cover modifiers.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
In other words, its either base difficulty + cover bonus, or dodge roll + cover bonus.

That's part of it. Yes.

Naaman wrote:
In other words, its either base difficulty + cover bonus, or dodge roll + cover bonus.

I now understand that others were assuming either dodge by itself, or base difficulty + cover.

No, I've always been talking about the former, not the latter, because we were in part talking about cover/protection in relation to dodge.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Naaman wrote:

That's part of it. Yes.

Naaman wrote:

No, I've always been talking about the former, not the latter, because we were in part talking about cover/protection in relation to dodge.

???

Here's what I favor:
If an intervening object is affecting the relationship between attacker and target, it (almost always) only makes sense to provide an increase to the attack difficulty or a reduction in damage (the latter should be reserved for exceptionally situational circumstances). If the weapon is powerful enough, concealment bonuses should be reduced or negated if the attacker knows what man-sized space the target occupies.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
???

Please read my last several posts. I think I've only gotten more and more explicit they go. If you still don't even understand what I've been saying, then I'm sorry there isn't any further way I can think of explaining how RAW addresses some of the concerns you expressed. There is a lot of confusion in this thread and I hope some of the readers reading this thread will get it.

I do think that you have some opportunities to understand RAW better, and as I recently put into the forum guidelines, I feel it is extremely important to have a good grasp on the applicable RAW before introducing and discussing house rules. RAW is the common from of reference from which all modifications diverge.

Naaman wrote:
Here's what I favor:
If an intervening object is affecting the relationship between attacker and target, it (almost always) only makes sense to provide an increase to the attack difficulty or a reduction in damage (the latter should be reserved for exceptionally situational circumstances). If the weapon is powerful enough, concealment bonuses should be reduced or negated if the attacker knows what man-sized space the target occupies.

I understand and think you should do it how you want in your game if that works for you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Skill

Armored Combat
Attribute: Dexterity
Time to Use: One action (reaction skill)
Specializations: Specific type of armor worn (storm trooper armor, blast vest, etc.).
Effect: This skill represents your ability to make optimal use of your armor. Instead of trying to avoid being hit, you rely on your armor's protection (and your skill in positioning yourself relative to active threats) to reduce or negate the effects of being hit.

Instead of trying to dodge or parry an attack directed against you, you may attempt to position your armor such that it absorbs the blow without causing you harm.

Using this skill counts as a reaction skill for the round. Any attack roll which fails it's base difficulty still misses. Otherwise, the attack automatically hits you. Before rolling to resist damage, roll armored combat and consult the chart below:

If your roll beats difficulty level:
Easy: +1
Moderate: +2
Difficult: +1D
Very Difficult: +1D+2
Heroic: +2D

Add the modifier to your damage resistance roll when resolving the effects of any hits scored against you.

Example: You have a strength of 3D+2 and are wearing bounty hunter armor (+2D Phys/+1D Energy). A stormtrooper fires his weapon at you and you decide to let your armor absorb the hit. You roll your armored combat skill and get a 17 (difficult).

The stormtrooper rolls his blaster rifle's damage (5D) and you make your roll to resist of 5D+2 (your strength, +1D for your armor's protection and +1D more for your armored combat bonus).

A couple of notes here:
I'm considering starting the armor boost at 1D for an easy roll and stepping it up to 2D+1 or 2D+2 at the heroic level, considering that the character is essentially just taking the hit (the benefits need to be "worth the risk").

Also, the idea is that sometimes, dodging is "useless" in that there are too many well coordinated shots coming your way (or a blast weapon has too much radius to avoid, etc.), so you just brace for impact, so to speak, making sure your armor is positioned as well as possible and hope for the best. For example, the way the US Army deals with a grenade landing near by is to get as far away as possible in about 1 second and then go prone, face to the floor with the helmet facing the grenade (since the helmet is--in theory--capable of stopping grenade shrapnel).

This would also be kinda cool as a melee combat option: a heavily armored brute just letting his armor take all the blows while he hews down scores of foes in front of him with a vibro axe. I also get images of characters like Warb Null slaying masses without trying to dodge/parry.

In terms of coordinated attacks, this would create an interesting moment of choice for a commander: boost the attack rolls or boost the damage rolls? The target's choice of defense will have a pretty big impact on which option is best.

The way I envision coordinated attacks is like this:

Either everyone takes well aimed shots at the target (meaning that if you dodge one shot, you've dodged them all), or...

Some shoot at the target, and others shoot into the area(s) where the target may attempt to dodge toward (effectively creating a "no escape" situation; the L-shaped ambush is a good representation of this concept).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i used this, or something like it, i'd cap the bonus you could get, EQUAL to the protective value the suit of armor already gave...
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first learned to shoot in the army, we were taught to blade the body,(if shooting from a standing position) basically turning so that the side of the body was toward the enemy making a slimmer target.

This was lessons-learned from previous wars where body armor was not really effective against bullets and you did everything to make yourself a small target.

By the time I got out, the philosophy had changed. You 'squared up' to your target, facing that direction. The difference was the development of more effective armor being able to take a bullet on the frontal plate, where it might penetrate if it entered the side armor or arm pit.

Is this the kind of thing that influenced this?
It would also be something Din Djarin would have, since in certain scenes he certainly feels comfortable in letting his armor do the work while he is intent on moving or attacking.

I would agree with garkhal though, I don't think your ability to make sure your armor protects you should actually make your armor work better than it's maximum strength.

I would suggest if your armor gives you a +2D to soak normally, the skill could give you extra dice to roll, but limit the maximum bonus from the armor at +12.

Basically the skill giving you the best chance to get the maximum effect out of what you have.

Therefore a guy with a high level in Armored Combat is still going to WANT something like beskar instead of just making do with a basic blast vest because he's 'just so damned good' at making all the shots hit him in the same spot.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If i used this, or something like it, i'd cap the bonus you could get, EQUAL to the protective value the suit of armor already gave...

Dredwulf60 wrote:
When I first learned to shoot in the army, we were taught to blade the body,(if shooting from a standing position) basically turning so that the side of the body was toward the enemy making a slimmer target.

This was lessons-learned from previous wars where body armor was not really effective against bullets and you did everything to make yourself a small target.

By the time I got out, the philosophy had changed. You 'squared up' to your target, facing that direction. The difference was the development of more effective armor being able to take a bullet on the frontal plate, where it might penetrate if it entered the side armor or arm pit.

Is this the kind of thing that influenced this?
It would also be something Din Djarin would have, since in certain scenes he certainly feels comfortable in letting his armor do the work while he is intent on moving or attacking.

I would agree with garkhal though, I don't think your ability to make sure your armor protects you should actually make your armor work better than it's maximum strength.

I would suggest if your armor gives you a +2D to soak normally, the skill could give you extra dice to roll, but limit the maximum bonus from the armor at +12.

Basically the skill giving you the best chance to get the maximum effect out of what you have.

Therefore a guy with a high level in Armored Combat is still going to WANT something like beskar instead of just making do with a basic blast vest because he's 'just so damned good' at making all the shots hit him in the same spot.

I was thinking something similar while writing it.

TL/DR: I just wasn't sure it matters very much given the scaling of the bonus though. As written here, it would take some serious skill to get more than 1D out of it (character points you could be allocating to dodge or parry, etc.).

The idea isn't to make someone invincible, but if it's going to be a skill, it should be "worth" taking if it fits the character concept (someone who decides he wants to be able to make that heroic roll "every time" is going to have to invest over 150 cp into the skill (closer to 200, actually, when you factor in the dex penalty that armor imposes... ironically enough).

I tried to design it so that, even if you spent a CP to raise the skill roll, that CP is actually more effective just being added to soak (i.e. you get a whole die added to strength, rather than bumping up to the next pip worth of armor boost).

Even so, I could see making a limit based on the native value of the armor. I'm just not sure which is better from a game design perspective.

Basically, weak armor is already weak, so giving it a bonus isn't going to make it better than good armor. Does that make sense?

When I consider armor that provides only a +1 pip to begin with, I tend to lean toward limiting the max boost along similar lines to what you guys suggested: it's just not reasonable to pull 2D worth of extra effectiveness out of such wimpy armor.

I also considered modifying the difficulty based on which parts of the body the armor covers... but that gets out of hand pretty quick.

Though I suppose I could write it such that, for each area covered (torso, head, arms, legs), you get a bonus on your roll. And balance that out by raising the difficulty by one or two levels for each bracket (start with +1 being moderate, for example, while +2D would be Heroic +10).
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to cross-plug my ideas, but just something to consider if it percolates something in your design;

In my armor system, each armor is rated for how much bonus dice to soak, but it also has a rating based on coverage.

The idea being that the coverage value is higher based on how comprehensively it protects the body's whole surface.

A shooter can choose to make a 'called shot' to bypass armor. They then have to roll higher than the armor's coverage (plus any dodge related additions).

If they succeed, they have bypassed the armor's protection. When the target rolls to soak, they get no extra dice from the armor.

So, under my system, if I were to adapt your Armored Combat skill, I would have the skill increase the Coverage of the armor.

Of course, I imagine attempting to bypass armor comes up a lot more in a game based around mandos.

Cool
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought for a while on how the rules would interact with a called shot, and just decided to figure it out "along the way."

Based on what I posted earlier in the thread for called shots, and since the target isn't trying to dodge if using this skill, I figure the attacker whould just have to make a successful roll (including the penalty for the called shot) and if he hits, he hits. Though I suppose in some scemarios, some protection could still be achieved (using armored gauntlets to protect the face, for example).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
Page 24 of 24

Jump to: