The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sever Force?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Sever Force?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Sever Force? Reply with quote

I have known about this ability but when I looked for mechanics I could not find them. Any ideas?

Sever Force
Allowed Force-sensitive individuals to close or suppress one's connection to the Force. The former Jedi Caleb Dume severed his connection to the Force in the aftermath of the Great Jedi Purge in order to remain hidden from the newly established Galactic Empire and start his new life as Kanan Jarrus. Likewise, former Jedi Padawan Ahsoka Tano distanced herself from the Force, trying to prevent herself from accessing her Force abilities in order to hide and also to avoid the pain of her past life as a Jedi.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TotJC.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think of that name, I think of how the Jedi first severed Ulic's connection to the Force so they could capture him in The Sith War comics. Later Nomi Sunrider used this power against Ulic after he killed his brother Cay, but this time she severed the connection permanently. Or so it seemed. In the Redemption comic series, I believe it was called, Ulic never used the Force. Yet he was able to see and hear his Master Arca Jeth. And when he died, Ulic vanished like Ben, Yoda, and Luke did.

Using that name to describe what Caleb/Kanan, Ahsoka, and Luke did? No, I wouldn't use that term. It's not Force stealth or some power along those lines, I know that much. I think it's more like they chose not to touch the Force. If they had used some power to sever their connection to the Force, then how could Luke have reconnected to the Force at the end of the movie? How could he have sensed that Rey and Kylo were having a telepathic conversation? How could he have sensed where Rey's focus and attention were heading to that dark place on the island?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for pointing out the pre-existing version of the power. I knew it was out there but somehow continued to miss it.

The power as currently written is related to this ability but not the same. A sentient purposefully disconnecting from the Force is what I am looking for. In doing so, I would think it would be to reconnect.

Perhaps a control roll to disconnect and another control roll and and a mandatory Force Point expenditure.

Quote:
Sever Force Connection
Control Difficulty: Difficult.
Alter Difficulty: Resisted by control or willpower.
Efect: Allows Force-sensitive individuals to close or suppress one's connection to the Force. The former Jedi Caleb Dume severed his connection to the Force in the aftermath of the Great Jedi Purge in order to remain hidden from the newly established Galactic Empire and start his new life as Kanan Jarrus. Likewise, former Jedi Padawan Ahsoka Tano distanced herself from the Force, trying to prevent herself from accessing her Force abilities in order to hide and also to avoid the pain of her past life as a Jedi.
Effect: In order for a sentient to sever their connection to the Force they must make a difficult control skill check and a Alter skill check resisted by their own control or willpower, whichever is better. If successful they have severed their connection to the Force and are no long Force-Sensitive, unable to use their Force skills or powers. The maximum number of Force Points the character can have is reduced to 5, the rest are "returned" to the Cosmic Force.

Reconnecting to the Force requires the expenditure of a Force Point and a very difficult (30+) sense skill check and a Alter skill check resisted by their own control or willpower, whichever is better. Regardless of the outcome the Force Point is lost. If successful the sentient reconnects with the Force, becoming Force-sensitive once again, able to access their Force skills and powers.
Source: Game mechanics by Emperor Ollie.

Thoughts?
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like expending a force point could be enough (depending on how important it is in your campaign that the character succeed in reconnecting). Since a force point doubles all the rolls, setting the difficulties high would effectively compel the character to spend one, anyway. Just giving up the force point, we can "assume" they "spent it" on the rolls and were successful.

Also, seems a little awkward to oppose alter against the user's control or willpower: the higher the control/willpower (that is, the better the character is at these things) the less likely he is to reconnect. Since he is trying to reconnect, seems like a high willpower should help in this (accomplishing his will) rather than hinder it.

You may want to look at the atonement rules for further ideas about what might be a good way to handle it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just 'spending' it to 'automatically reconnect, though to me, seems rather easy then to "GO away from the force, then come back to it..
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think you need to give it a different name in order to distinguish what you have with the version that's already in the Force Powers PDF. When it came to the art of the small power, I made it into two - art of the small (control) and art of the small (control and alter). But I don't think that'll work in this case. Maybe something along the lines of instinctive astrogation? You have instinctive astrogation - the sense power that one uses to sense a path through hyperspace. And then there's instinctive astrogation control - the control power where one uses the Force to make the complicated calculations in his or her head to plot a new course through hyperspace without the aid of a computer. Maybe sever oneself?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
I still think you need to give it a different name ...

Sever Force Connection
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still sounds too similar to the other option.

And while we're on the subject, what about what Vergere did to Jacen? She seemed to have severed his connection, yet later he seemed to regain it by touching the dark side. She could have used Sever Force, but if we go by the rules of the power, Jacen didn't have enough DSP to be subjected to the power. Furthermore, she was apparently a Sith or at least a Dark Side user, so she shouldn't have access to the power. Goes to show what a tangled web was woven when she was brought into the mix.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Just 'spending' it to 'automatically reconnect, though to me, seems rather easy then to "GO away from the force, then come back to it..

Yeah. It depends on the feel you want for the game, the character, and the story, I think (also depends on how common/rare force points are in the game).

When atoning, there is no roll required. You role play a bit, and expend a force point. I think this could work along similar lines, but since the character isn't atoning, I don't think it should be harder than coming back from the dark side.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, you don't lose your powers, just force points, from attoninig.. SO if you got severed from the force, it should imo, be harder to 'regain it'..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand it correctly, the powers and skills aren't lost. They're just "severed." Unplugged, sort of. The OP is trying to work out how to plug back in, or turn back on what was turned off.

Kinda like being in "airplane mode" so that others can't detect them.

D20 actually has the sever force power, as well as a separate power called force stealth. The way it would work in D6 would most likely be a control roll to activate (and set a detection difficulty) and opponents must roll sense against the detection difficulty.

The user can deactivate force stealth whenever he wants to with no roll.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shutting one's force footprint (ala luke in TFA/TLJ, is a self-choice to do.. What was done to Ulic Droma and the like, is something i don't see coming back from that easy.. If even at all..
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
If I understand it correctly, the powers and skills aren't lost. They're just "severed." Unplugged, sort of. The OP is trying to work out how to plug back in, or turn back on what was turned off.

Kinda like being in "airplane mode" so that others can't detect them.

D20 actually has the sever force power, as well as a separate power called force stealth. The way it would work in D6 would most likely be a control roll to activate (and set a detection difficulty) and opponents must roll sense against the detection difficulty.

The user can deactivate force stealth whenever he wants to with no roll.

Force stealth allows you to hide your presence from being detected by other Force-sensitives, yet you can still use the Force while it is activated. Sever Force is completely different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: