The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Geting rid of spending Character Points on rolls
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Geting rid of spending Character Points on rolls Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Geting rid of spending Character Points on rolls Reply with quote

I'm aware I'm commiting what many, no doubt, will see as a great heresy against the game. Well, won't be the first time. But my mind is made up and not going to change. I want to remove the option for spending Character Points to increase Skill/Attribute rolls. I've never liked it, in any game, not only SW, and it has to go, in my game at least.

To be clear: I have nothing against the characters having a pool of some game currency they can spend to boost their rolls, in and of itself. In fact I'm all for it. I think it's a great option for cheroic, cinematic play.

No, what I find myself strongly objecting to, is those points coming out of the character's Character Points - experience, to put it simply. It just doesn't feel right to me. Often, it feels basically like a tax on bad luck: "Oh, you rolled poorly on your dodge roll. You're screwed. You may save yourself by spending some CP, but if you do, they won't be available to actually rise your dodge skill so that you can have better chances in the future." It forces the character to exchange long-term improvement for short-term survival, and this, frankly, sucks. Especially if the character is unlucky enough to fall into a vicious cycle of bad rolls and CP spending. Especially if the rest of the group has more luck on their rolls.

And even when it's not about naked survival, the character still has to sacrifice possible future success for short-term accomplishment. At least in this case, it feels somewhat justified, as a "hard choice". "Do you want to be awsome now, in this single instance, or do you want to wait and possibly be consistently awsome later, with higher skills?" Trouble, for me at least, is, I'm not interested in having this kind of "hard choice", a choice of a very meta-game nature to boot, in my game. At the lest, I prefer my SW game to be rather cinematic/heroic, and this choice doesn't fit into my perception of how such a game should be.

So, that's why all this. Does anyone have any ideas (or even better, experience) on how to remove the spending of character experience on roll improvement, without depraving the characters of some kind of safety net / critical performance boosting resource?

The most obvious way would be to create a kind of "Fate/Destiny/Mojo/Luck/Insert own name" resource, separate from CP, that could be used on rolls the way CPs are now. I had this thought on making it an actual Skill, under a Force Attribute which is sometimes proposed, or in some other way tied to it. Thoughts?
- Tom Lehrer
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEG is hardly unique in offering this option. In D&D, certain magic spells require the expenditure of experience points.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give them back at the end of the adventure: the more they save, the more they'll have available to boost rolls, so they can just keep a few on hand for each adventure.

Heck, you could even make them work like Force points in that if they are particularly heroic or successful (or whatever), they get back an extra one (not double the expenditure, just one more than they spent).
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Geting rid of spending Character Points on rolls Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
So, that's why all this. Does anyone have any ideas (or even better, experience) on how to remove the spending of character experience on roll improvement, without depraving the characters of some kind of safety net / critical performance boosting resource?

How about this - once per round a character may spend a CP to get an action at any Initiative number, this action does not affect, nor is affected, by the multiple action penalty.

Leon The Lion wrote:
I'm aware I'm commiting what many, no doubt, will see as a great heresy against the game.

Don't worry, if I had posted all my house rules (in fact new rulebook), you would have probably put a bounty on my head Wink .

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also apply rules similar to Force Points, where Characters earn CP back depending on how it is used. Using CP in a heroic situation regains that CP later, but just using them to save yourself from a bad roll loses them permanently.

Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
WEG is hardly unique in offering this option. In D&D, certain magic spells require the expenditure of experience points.

That is true. Your point being?

Naaman wrote:
Just give them back at the end of the adventure: the more they save, the more they'll have available to boost rolls, so they can just keep a few on hand for each adventure.

That would be the simplest way to deal with it. I kinda like it.

Nico_Davout wrote:
How about this - once per round a character may spend a CP to get an action at any Initiative number, this action does not affect, nor is affected, by the multiple action penalty.

I ment to eliminate the spending of CPs (on things other than character advancement) entirely, not looking for things other than rolls for them to be spent on. That being said, it's an interesting idea.

Nico_Davout wrote:
Don't worry, if I had posted all my house rules (in fact new rulebook), you would have probably put a bounty on my head Wink .

I doubt that. I'd probably steal some ideas and ignore the rest, like I do with all other rulebooks. Wink

crmcneill wrote:
You could also apply rules similar to Force Points, where Characters earn CP back depending on how it is used. Using CP in a heroic situation regains that CP later, but just using them to save yourself from a bad roll loses them permanently.

Which would be exactly what I wanted to get rid of in the first place.
- Tom Lehrer
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Sava World System (or what it's called) you actually have an additional die to roll. You can then choose which roll you want to use.

Instead of getting more dice, the die changes. You start with a d4, increasing it to a d6, then to a d8, then to a d10 etc. pp.
You always roll your skill die (being d4, d6, d8 or whatever) and additionally, you also roll a d6. You can then choose what result you want to take (if you roll a 3 on the d4 but a 5 on the d6 you can take the 5 as the result).

What makes that more usefull is the fact, that if you roll the maximum value, the die "explodes", like with the wild die. Your roll a 4 on the d4? You get to roll again with it and add the result to the previous result.
So, in the end, you increase the chances a lot to not roll extremely low with that. But that won't prevent the "you rolled very badly, you character is dead"-Situation when you roll two 1s for example.

The simplest thing would be something like "luck". Per Session or Adventure or whatever, you have X points of luck. If you roll badly, you can spend one point of luck to reroll a single die or, if you prever, reroll all the die.

So, instead of using your "experience", you use something entirely different that is not tied to the character advencement, can't be hoarded (each session or adventure the luck points are reset to the initial value, you can't save them) and can potentially save the asses of the players if they have bad luck.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows about for every 2CP they earn, they gain 1 fate/destiny/luck point they can spend. That pool only replenishes when they earn new CP.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Geting rid of spending Character Points on rolls Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:

No, what I find myself strongly objecting to, is those points coming out of the character's Character Points - experience, to put it simply. It just doesn't feel right to me. Often, it feels basically like a tax on bad luck:

Too me it feels like a tax on bad play.

In my last campaign I had a guy who constantly ran into the fray, and took on outrageous odds, and used his CPs to try and get him out of dodge. For instance, in one fight he charged 60 battledroids by himself, got incapacitated, rescued and medpacced by another PC, and then charged right back into the fray, where he got mortally wounded and was barely saved again by another PC with a medpac and hero point. At the end of the adventure, the lucky to be alive player noticed that he spent more CP on the adventure that he got for playing it, and he decided that he was going to have to change the wayt he played if he was going to have any CP to spend for advancement. An entirely correct belief.

I suspose that to judgew how fair spending CP is for a given campaign, we need to know just how many the players spend and why. How many Cps are spent to counteract bad luck, how many are spent to counteract bad judgment, and how many are spent to boost their Egos.

I'd be leery of giving the CP back at the end of an adventure, as it would probably just encourage the players to spend Cps more recklessly, and/or build up a big pool of CP to keep on hand each week. A {C with 50 CP to spend each week is going to put a crimp in most campaigns.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Geting rid of spending Character Points on rolls Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
I'm aware I'm commiting what many, no doubt, will see as a great heresy against the game. Well, won't be the first time. But my mind is made up and not going to change. I want to remove the option for spending Character Points to increase Skill/Attribute rolls. I've never liked it, in any game, not only SW, and it has to go, in my game at least.

Then do it Wink
As a player, I try to avoid it as much as possible, but it has saved my skin on a couple occasions.
Leon The Lion wrote:
... what I find myself strongly objecting to, is those points coming out of the character's Character Points - experience, to put it simply. It just doesn't feel right to me. Often, it feels basically like a tax on bad luck: "Oh, you rolled poorly on your dodge roll. You're screwed. You may save yourself by spending some CP, but if you do, they won't be available to actually rise your dodge skill so that you can have better chances in the future." It forces the character to exchange long-term improvement for short-term survival, and this, frankly, sucks. Especially if the character is unlucky enough to fall into a vicious cycle of bad rolls and CP spending. Especially if the rest of the group has more luck on their rolls.

And even when it's not about naked survival, the character still has to sacrifice possible future success for short-term accomplishment. At least in this case, it feels somewhat justified, as a "hard choice". "Do you want to be awsome now, in this single instance, or do you want to wait and possibly be consistently awsome later, with higher skills?" Trouble, for me at least, is, I'm not interested in having this kind of "hard choice", a choice of a very meta-game nature to boot, in my game. At the lest, I prefer my SW game to be rather cinematic/heroic, and this choice doesn't fit into my perception of how such a game should be.

Yeah, that about sums up the Character Point conundrum, and is why I try to avoid spending as a player, hoping to use them for advancement. I do, however, feel that the interplay between current success (or saving one's skin) and long-term development adds a certain precious commodity aspect to Character Points that might be lost if they lose their dual function.

Leon The Lion wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas (or even better, experience) on how to remove the spending of character experience on roll improvement, without depraving the characters of some kind of safety net / critical performance boosting resource?

The most obvious way would be to create a kind of "Fate/Destiny/Mojo/Luck/Insert own name" resource, separate from CP, that could be used on rolls the way CPs are now. I had this thought on making it an actual Skill, under a Force Attribute which is sometimes proposed, or in some other way tied to it. Thoughts?

If you're wanting to change the economy of points (e.g. remove the dual purpose of Character Points), I think the obvious method is likely best - a second type of points used solely for boosting rolls. You'll need a system for awarding/gaining these points, though... perhaps use something like is used for Force Points, but less based in morality/ethics Wink; perhaps just award them like you would experience Character Points...

Your idea of a skill is an interesting one, and adds a certain amount of chaos to it too... something like the Luck attribute in the Fallout (computer) game series S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. Perhaps, when a player needs to spend their points to enhance a roll, or thinks they might need some luck for a spectacular effect, they could roll their Luck skill and either straight up add that to the total, or, perhaps each difficulty level achieved provides a static bonus - +1 for Very Easy, +3 for Easy, +5 for Moderate, +10 for Difficult, etc (just pulling numbers out of the air there)... whether to include the wild die would require some extra thought; including increases the odds of high rolls... but it should also be at a cost - perhaps a 1 is an automatic complication, a stroke of really bad luck??
If I were to incorporate a skill like this, I'd likely implement it as an Advanced Skill for advancement costs.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're bound by playing the stats of the game and not role playing the game, which is what RPG is really about. A plot course is not something players can win, it is an adventure the players partake in.
These are the first rules of RPG, how do so many forget and just lose it?

Character points are not experience points. They may (at player choice) represent experience gained which maybe used to enhance skills with training or familiarity, but they also represent the intellectual construct of belief in your skills and abilities or just hope. You can spend them frivolously this way but your actual skill levels may not increase and eventually your belief in your skills will be shaken. Analogues the pitfalls of youth rather well I think.

Similarly, Force Points (and even Dark Side Points) are not entirely some magical deity which supports you on call with increasing devotion. It is in part your reputation among others for your actions.

One of the reasons my gaming group came from AD&D d20 across to WEG SWRPG was for the d6 system which we felt had the potential to represent more mature gaming within the system it uses. If we thought in terms of XP and squeezing rulesets for advantage we would've gone to WotC d20 SWRPG.

Question

each to their own I guess.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can kind of see how points hoarding coud become an issue if I just gave the spent CPs back at the end of the adventure, tempting as it is as the simplest solution.

But, points hoarded are points unspent on advancement, and you're only allowed to spend 2 CPs on any single roll, except the ones directly keeping the character from dying.

Still, something to think about. My first idea was to only allowed each CP to be spent on rolls once. Once you spend it, you get it back later, but it's "burnt", and can no longer be re-used on improving rolls, only spent on advancement. This wouldn't completely eliminate the possbility of hoarding, but would make it more difficult.

atgxtg:
I'm afraid I can't really relate, having never had such a problem with players. My current players have a very realistic outlook on their characters' capabilities and a healthy "if you don't have to, then don't" approach to risk taking. Certainly the number of CP they have available to save their skin never really enters into their risk calculation. If a course of action looks suicidal, then, unless absolutely necessary, they will not attempt it, even if their CP totals could make them actually survive it. They're pretty good with getting into character, and characters just don't think in such meta-game terms.

Ankhanu:
Having Luck be a skill you'd actually roll and base the effect it has on other rolls on the result of that roll... It would be a little wierd: you would first need to get lucky on your luck roll to get really lucky on the other skill roll. Luck-ception! Very Happy Certainly doable, but a little too unpredictable for my taste.

What I was thinking is, each die in the Luck skill gives a character one Luck Point which can be spent on boosting rolls exactly like CPs are now (and maybe on other things, should we come up with any, like Nico_Davout's proposition of a bonus action). Those points reset to skill value at the end of each adventure, when CPs are awarded.

The starting skill level would be 6D, just like, and instead of, the number of CPs beginning characters get now. Luck has to be advanced like any other skill, one pip at a time, however only a full die provides an actual Luck Point - just like with CPs, you cannot divide the die they provide into pips. The CP cost of increasing the skill would be double the number of dice per pip, like with Advanced Skills.

vanir:
...Seriously? Rolling Eyes
- Tom Lehrer
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Hows about for every 2CP they earn, they gain 1 fate/destiny/luck point they can spend. That pool only replenishes when they earn new CP.

I like this. My first question on the viability of a house rule is whether or not it will require a massive rewrite for all official stats. In this case, the only rewrite is simple math; take the character's CP value and divide by 2 (rounded down) to generate Fate Points.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
Yes, I can kind of see how points hoarding coud become an issue if I just gave the spent CPs back at the end of the adventure, tempting as it is as the simplest solution.

But, points hoarded are points unspent on advancement, and you're only allowed to spend 2 CPs on any single roll, except the ones directly keeping the character from dying

Yes, they are unspent, but the P{C still has the option of spending them later. So a player could spend a bunch of CPs to modify die rolls, then spend them for improvement later on.

Quote:

Still, something to think about. My first idea was to only allowed each CP to be spent on rolls once. Once you spend it, you get it back later, but it's "burnt", and can no longer be re-used on improving rolls, only spent on advancement. This wouldn't completely eliminate the possbility of hoarding, but would make it more difficult

If you are going to allow a "spend it once" rule, then I suggest you change the name of the spent points to Experience Points or Improvement Points to differentiate them from the unspent CPs.

With my group it was accidental hoarding that led to CP abuse. What happened was one guy was saving up to learn Force Poweras, and another was saving up for Force Sensitivity when things got more "intense", and it was decided that it was better to burn some CPs than die with 35 unspent CPs. After seeing how useful the Cps were for modding rolls, one guy decided to keep the big bank of points. If Cps were reusable, I think it would have ruined that campaign.

But a use one rule isn't so bad.

atgxtg:
I'm afraid I can't really relate, having never had such a problem with players. My current players have a very realistic outlook on their characters' capabilities and a healthy "if you don't have to, then don't" approach to risk taking. Certainly the number of CP they have available to save their skin never really enters into their risk calculation. If a course of action looks suicidal, then, unless absolutely necessary, they will not attempt it, even if their CP totals could make them actually survive it. They're pretty good with getting into character, and characters just don't think in such meta-game terms.
[/quote]

Congratulations. I wish my players were so clever. Most of mine are too reckless, with the rest too cautious. The reckless ones want to turn everything into a head one fight (D&D poisoning). The cautious ones tend to look at things fairly realistically, but the heroic nature of the Star Wars RPG means that PCs can get away with a lot more that they realistically should try, and the PC should take a few more risks that what is "realistic".
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another simple option is to hand out more CPs, but limit the number that can be spent between adventures. For example... say, no more than 10 or 15 cps between adventures (this will account for CPs "saved" and would eventually allow for very skilled characters to still raise a skill here and there).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: