The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What is the best way to watch the films?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> What is the best way to watch the films? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL
DarthOmega
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
Probably the most important issue that needs to be resolved in this thread is, of course:

Where, in the viewing order, do you introduce the Star Wars Holiday Special?

Ummmm...well... you could...er...hmmm. I would say that....yeah.... I got nothin'.

Read my gaming blog at www.alteredrealities.net - click on the tabs near the top for the different pages that usually have character bios and other info.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthOmega wrote:
To be fair, JJ was told to make the new Star Trek movies "accessible" to the everyman, not just fans of the franchise, so that's a good portion as to why they turned out the way they did.

I think you're spot-on as to the intent of the studio and other people in charge of Star Trek, and I think he succeeded marvelously at that. I don't know that Fringe is the best example of J.J. Abrams, though, being as he was just one of the executive producers (and not the showrunner) and only wrote a half dozen episodes (and didn't direct any).

As a Star Trek fan, I think he did a phenomenal job with both movies (though I could do without the lens flares), and I'm confident that he'll do an amazing job on Star Wars as well!
DarthOmega
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
DarthOmega wrote:
To be fair, JJ was told to make the new Star Trek movies "accessible" to the everyman, not just fans of the franchise, so that's a good portion as to why they turned out the way they did.

I think you're spot-on as to the intent of the studio and other people in charge of Star Trek, and I think he succeeded marvelously at that. I don't know that Fringe is the best example of J.J. Abrams, though, being as he was just one of the executive producers (and not the showrunner) and only wrote a half dozen episodes (and didn't direct any).

As a Star Trek fan, I think he did a phenomenal job with both movies (though I could do without the lens flares), and I'm confident that he'll do an amazing job on Star Wars as well!

Oh...I was under the impression he had more to with it than that. Wasn't it also his concept? Or no?

I do agree about the Trek movies, I think he did an excellent job of bringing the franchise to everyone else. My step-daughter who doesn't like anything remotely sci-fi for the most part actually liked the new Trek movies, so I think that's indicative of how well he did.

As for my personal opinion on them, I liked them and really enjoyed them, especially the...*ahem* twist of normal canon at the end of Into Darkness. I don't know why, but it almost made more sense to me. I won't explain why here due to leaking spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet, but may in the future.

I really do believe that Star Wars is in good hands with J.J. He seems to get his name attached to some good stuff (like Fringe and Revolution), even if he isn't heavily involved with them, so I think that says a lot about his taste at the very least.

Read my gaming blog at www.alteredrealities.net - click on the tabs near the top for the different pages that usually have character bios and other info.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He might have been fairly involved with the initial concept of Fringe. I know he was with LOST, Alias, Felicity, and probably Revolution. He's most definitely a great 'idea man'.

Just looking at the movies he produces, you can tell he's got good taste in material. And I've liked almost everything he's been attached to (though I've not seen any Felicity or Alias).
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So I will tread carefully as my son and I venture into each movie based on his development.

DarthOmega wrote:
Oh absolutely, and you are no doubt a good parent by doing that. In fact I'd go so far as to say that you're a great parent in this day and age.

DougRed4 wrote:
Let me also echo (and affirm) that you're being a great (and wise) parent, Whill.

Thanks, guys. I try.

To celebrate Star Wars Day today, my son and I are going to watch The Padawan Menace on blu-ray. It's really funny. "Say hello to my metal friends!"
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh..... the new trek movies sucked in my honest opinion...... how ever like any artistic endeavour, movies and tv are subjective to the viewer/consumer..... i'll probably not go see them at all the new sw films...... I may look when whey reach television.... but I'm thinking they will out and out suck to me....... however...... like anything your individual mileage will vary.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

So right now I'm thinking the order for my son will be 1, 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. Of course these won't be back to back. The first three of those films may be spread out be over the course of a summer, and then II a year or more later, and then III a ways after that. Of course once he is old enough for III, we can then go strait to VI. And of course we will rewatch any chronologically preceding episodes before moving on to a new one for maximum context. One he watches a new episode, I will give it to him a copy for him to rewatch at will until ready to move on to the next one with Daddy.

Ummmmm... is your son okay with that? Waiting for possibly literal YEARS for a resolution to the ESB cliffhanger? I know if it was me, I would not have wanted to wait that long to find out what happened to Han Solo, and the like... and when I got to II and III, I would've been bitterly disappointed to find out that THOSE pieces of junk were the holdup.

Red 331 wrote:
My vote is ANH, TESB, ROTJ, and then burn the tv. Prequels? What's a prequel? Is that something you take before going to bed? Very Happy

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Wink Worked for my childhood, and I'm still doing a roleplaying game in-universe nearly 3 decades later. It's how lasting fandoms are formed... Smile

DougRed4 wrote:

Agreed. Neither movie is without their flaws- but most of them are issues the older films has as well and we just turn a blind eye for the sake of nostalgia. I think they get a bad rap. And while I'm... tentative on episode VII (anything that takes the place of the entire EU would have to be pretty darn spectacular to win me over) I have high hopes.

Hard core OT, all the way!
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
Whill wrote:

So right now I'm thinking the order for my son will be 1, 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. Of course these won't be back to back. The first three of those films may be spread out be over the course of a summer, and then II a year or more later, and then III a ways after that. Of course once he is old enough for III, we can then go strait to VI. And of course we will rewatch any chronologically preceding episodes before moving on to a new one for maximum context. One he watches a new episode, I will give it to him a copy for him to rewatch at will until ready to move on to the next one with Daddy.

Ummmmm... is your son okay with that? Waiting for possibly literal YEARS for a resolution to the ESB cliffhanger? I know if it was me, I would not have wanted to wait that long to find out what happened to Han Solo, and the like...

Waiting years for a resolution to the ESB cliffhanger, just like I did when I was a kid? I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm from the original generation of Star Wars fans. Back in our day, there were no home video versions (at least that everyday Americans had access to). You saw a SW film in the theater and you had no choice but to wait 3 years for the next one.

And my son is a little kid. I am his father. He will wait as long as I feel he needs to. So it doesn't matter if he is ok with it or not. It is not his decision. Parental Guidance.

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
You realize you're on a forum that is, essentially, based around a 100% EU product providing 100% EU stats and scenarios for a 100% EU game?

...So, to wish the EU a joyful demise is kinda to dance on the grave of the D6 RPG we're all kinda here for, anyhow. Or, in short... show some respect, sonny.

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
and when I got to II and III, I would've been bitterly disappointed to find out that THOSE pieces of junk were the holdup.

You realize that you're on a forum based on an RPG that was designed to recreate the cinematic reality of the Star Wars film series? Do you realize that the original Star Wars RPG was not created as an EU product because this game predates the formal creation of the EU in the early 90s?

I'm also in the original WEG Star Wars RPG generation. I bought the 1E core book and the SW Sourcebook from the book store I worked at in high school literally the week they came out in 1987. There was no EU back then. There was just the film series and some supporting publishing.

Do you realize the EU and the RPG game world are 100% dependent on the film series? Do you realize that the WEG Star Wars game ceased publication in 1998, but the film series is still going strong with three more films released since 1998 and five new films in development now?

Your reaction was so extreme to someone saying 'good riddance' to the EU, urging him to "show some respect", but yet you call Episodes II and III "pieces of junk" when you question me making my son wait to watch Episode VI until after II and III? That sounds hypocritical. Perhaps you would like to take the opportunity to reword your prequel bashing in light of your call to fans to show more respect for the EU?

And I will take this opportunity to make something extremely clear (to everyone). The topic of this thread is to discuss proper viewing order of the films.

No Star Wars fan anywhere feels that you should watch the original trilogy out of order with respect to itself. No one feels you start with V, then go back to IV, then watch VI. No one feels you start with VI and work your way backwards. No one feels that anyone should watch any film of either trilogy out of order with respect to the other films in its own trilogy. That would be idiotic.

Therefore, it should be an obvious given that the point of this thread is to discuss the viewing order of the entire film saga (thus far). Both trilogies included, Episodes I - VI.

And to everyone, expressing points of view like '4,5,6 period' is not contributing to this discussion. This thread is not a discussion of which films should be watched and which ones should not be viewed at all because they suck. You can discuss that in the 'What is your Star Wars Universe?' thread. You can even start a new thread specifically to bash the prequels if you feel you must (even though that is so 2005).

If you deem the prequels to be worthless pieces of junk then you are not helping this particular discussion.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this is a divisive subject. I am no fan of the Prequels. I have seen them all and I have rewatched all three multiple times in recent months while writing REUP. I will reserve any opinions on them as far as films.

As a father I realized I could not keep my child in the dark about them forever... Eventually we had the "talk". He watched them as I did:

Episode IV, V VI, I, II, III.

I let him judge the merit on his own, without any personal input.

Of course he is still a little guy so he thinks the first three are the best because they are the most polished (in the sense of crisper picture, visual effects and special effects). And you know what? Looking at them through my childs eyes... I can appreciate where he is coming from. If you take them on their own merit, and assume the originals did not exist, I would think they were decent films (even kick a*s sometimes).
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

If you deem the prequels to be worthless pieces of junk then you are not helping this particular discussion.

I respectfully disagree. I get it that the prequel hate gets old, and there are fanboys that drive us all nuts, but I think that people should be allowed to omit any film from a viewing order, even from the original trilogy. (or add the Clone Wars movie, or Ewok Adventures). I would be happy without watching the first 3 films, simply on the basis that they don't really appeal to me, and I don't feel that they add anything to my PERSONAL Star Wars Experience. They don't make the galaxy more fun, they make it less fun for me. (and that's just a personal feeling for my preconceived notion of what Star Wars is, not a generalization that all people should adhere to).

That may be simply disregarded as fanboyism, but I think there is more to it than that. Desiring to omit serial films from viewing order is not tantamount to fanboyism. It's not that I hate them, I don't. As films they are ok. As sci-fi films they are better than average. But as for my Star Wars experience.... well, they fall flat.

Heck I like the Jedi Academy Trilogy. Yeah I know its not the best written books, the Sun Crusher is stupid, but I like them, Others hate them. I actually like a lot of Bantam Era stuff, others feel they are not true to their own personal Star Wars experience, so they omit them from their reading. I don't like a lot of the NJO stuff I never finished reading the series, other love it. [SPOILER] I think it was really an engrossing plot device to have Chewie die, others hated it.

Its just personal taste, and there's enough of a divide in style, story, characters, and scope between the trilogies that it should be understandable why some people may want to just leave em on the shelf.

The only way I can describe it is as follows: Its like if you drank Sam Adams your whole life, and then someone handed you a shot of peppermint schnapps and said it pairs perfectly with Boston Lager, drink up brother. You might love it, you might hate it, you might not care. You might think Sam Adams tastes like crap and peppermint schnapps is waaaay better. Either way, if you wanna drink a its your choice what to chug.

Me... I'll take a Boston Lager, and I prefer drink it while I watch the original trilogy 2 times rather than watch the prequels. But if you wanna bring some schnapps over, get a little tipsy and watch the pod race scene on a loop, hey lets do it.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klhaviation wrote:
Of course he is still a little guy so he thinks the first three are the best because they are the most polished (in the sense of crisper picture, visual effects and special effects). And you know what? Looking at them through my childs eyes... I can appreciate where he is coming from. If you take them on their own merit, and assume the originals did not exist, I would think they were decent films (even kick a*s sometimes).

I have five kids, now ranging in ages from 15-22. They have all grown up with the OT, and we went to each of the prequel films the day they debuted in the theater (though my youngest probably hardly remembers the earliest ones). To a person, each of my five kids likes the prequels more than they do the OT. I suppose this probably isn't that unusual for their generation(s).

klhaviation wrote:
The only way I can describe it is as follows: Its like if you drank Sam Adams your whole life, and then someone handed you a shot of peppermint schnapps and said it pairs perfectly with Boston Lager, drink up brother. You might love it, you might hate it, you might not care. You might think Sam Adams tastes like crap and peppermint schnapps is waaaay better. Either way, if you wanna drink a its your choice what to chug.

Me... I'll take a Boston Lager, and I prefer drink it while I watch the original trilogy 2 times rather than watch the prequels. But if you wanna bring some schnapps over, get a little tipsy and watch the pod race scene on a loop, hey lets do it.

Great analogy, klhaviation. But I hate/detest all forms of beer, so I think I'll drink the peppermint schnapps while watching the OT with you, if that's okay? 8) (though I very much like the prequels, too)
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the OP, crmcneill wrote:
A friend of mine is a high school teacher, and for the end of the school year, he showed all six films to his classes, including several who had never seen any of the movies... When I asked in which order he showed the films... Thoughts?

klhaviation wrote:
Whill wrote:

I respectfully disagree.

I respectfully and officially disagree. In the discussion of viewing order, if you feel you should omit the prequel films (because they are "pieces of junk" or whatever), then all that is left is 4, 5 and 6. What is the proper viewing order of those three films alone? That does not warrant a discussion.

The discussion of proper viewing order only makes sense if the prequels are included with the classic films in the discussion. The chronologically earliest of the six films were released last. Watching some of the prequel films first can reveal or diminish some aspects of the experience of viewing the classic films, and vice versa.

Arrow This thread is to discuss viewing order when viewing the entire films series, especially for first-time viewers. Please create a new thread to discuss which films to omit from viewing the series. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is quite a strong sentiment, your defense of the semantics of the proposed forum question is noted and accurate, albeit a bit legalistic.But in the spirit of community unity, and to stay on topic,I propose my order of the six films.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Waiting years for a resolution to the ESB cliffhanger, just like I did when I was a kid? I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm from the original generation of Star Wars fans. Back in our day, there were no home video versions (at least that everyday Americans had access to). You saw a SW film in the theater and you had no choice but to wait 3 years for the next one.

No, admittedly, I am not from that generation and did not have the privilege of watching the original trilogy in the theater. That said... based on what you said, there is no reason that your son (as you described it, at least) has to wait that same amount of time- except to get old enough to watch II and III first. My point- perhaps poorly stated- is simply that if it was me, I would be ticked off that I was being made to wait to watch VI because I was going to be made to watch II and III first and had to be older to watch those. I'd rather have the choice to bypass those- and, from the viewpoint of retrospect, consider them entirely worth bypassing. It's your prerogative as a parent to parent however you see fit, and I never meant to say otherwise... I was just trying to suggest that your son might appreciate the choice of moving directly to VI when he is ready for it instead of waiting for II and III, because I know that's the choice I'd want. It's your call- I was just trying to suggest another point of view.

Whill wrote:
You realize that you're on a forum based on an RPG that was designed to recreate the cinematic reality of the Star Wars film series?

The cinematic reality of the original trilogy. Yes.

Whill wrote:
Do you realize that the original Star Wars RPG was not created as an EU product because this game predates the formal creation of the EU in the early 90s?

Yes- however it still relies heavily on, and itself became, information that originated outside of the films, hence the foundational nature of the EU. Whether it was called the EU at the time or not, it is still what the WEG sourcebooks drew from- and what they and the modules eventually became. Kinda like the founding fathers of the USA; there was no USA when they did their founding work, but that doesn't mean that their actions before its creation weren't still integral to its foundation. (The metaphor, while slightly tortured, seems apt to continue the revolutionary-war-metaphor themes that seem to have bizarrely crept into this conversation.) Wink

Whill wrote:
Do you realize the EU and the RPG game world are 100% dependent on the film series? Do you realize that the WEG Star Wars game ceased publication in 1998, but the film series is still going strong with three more films released since 1998 and five new films in development now?

Yes, and a qualified yes- depending on whether you mean going strong financially, or in terms of writing quality.

Whill wrote:
Your reaction was so extreme to someone saying 'good riddance' to the EU, urging him to "show some respect", but yet you call Episodes II and III "pieces of junk" when you question me making my son wait to watch Episode VI until after II and III? That sounds hypocritical.

I did admit, in that other discussion, that I am in no position to throw stones as I have similarly bashed the prequels. However, I will note a difference: my point was very much based on the integral nature of the EU and EU-created materials woven into the WEG. As you so rightly pointed out, the WEG wound down before the prequels came out, giving it no such legacy or foundation in the game that these forums are designed to discuss. My point in that conversation was the the EU deserved respect even if it was disliked simply because it was integral to the foundations of the RPG we're here discussing- so even if one doesn't like it, it's fair to appreciate its contributions to the product that's the reason we're all here. Whereas my only point with the 'pieces of junk' comment was that I found the prequel films to be bitterly disappointing and of inferior quality- both germane to the point I was trying to make about them in relation to the potential disappointment one might feel about being held back from the last film when they are already ready to see it in order to view those later, and unrelated to the WEG products. I didn't say 'show some respect' here because they do not have any foundational connection to the WEG to respect, whereas the EU does. Apple and orange scenarios. That said, I meant no disrespect or offense. Really, all that I was trying to articulate was that *I* was very let down by the prequels and would've hated to wait in the manner you described, and that- in a viewpoint you may not have considered because it is different to yours- your son might be, too. If I did so disrespectfully, in a way that appeared to question your ability or authority as a parent, or in a way that insulted what you cared about, I apologize.

Hard core OT, all the way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: